How Much Military Is Enough?

So do you think the military should be paid the same as law enforcement? By the way, in California "health and safety" employees get 90% of their highest salary in retirement after 30 years. Military get 75% of much lower salaries. CHP is paid overtime for eating lunch because they are still "on duty." They also get OT by arranging to end their shifts as far as possible from their homes. Compare that with a G.I. in Afghanistan...

Okay a compromise, cut military spending, and welfare spending the same. Put the military cut towards the debt. Put the welfare cut towards educating minorities so more will get off welfare. That in itself will save billions and create more tax payers. The democrats would lose the minority vote, so they will be against it.

So do you think the military should be paid the same as law enforcement? By the way, in California "health and safety" employees get 90% of their highest salary in retirement after 30 years. Military get 75% of much lower salaries. CHP is paid overtime for eating lunch because they are still "on duty." They also get OT by arranging to end their shifts as far as possible from their homes. Compare that with a G.I. in Afghanistan...

Certain jobs, yes, and other jobs much more. Being a cop is a dangerous job also. So should cops make more than, say, a Navy chef? Yes. Should an infantryman or Marine make more than a cop who patrols a college campus? YES.

Disparity in cop pay and benefits is huge. Cops in union cities in California, Jersey, ect, make huge pay, and their cities cant afford it. Some areas in the South pay their cops like dirt and coal. A happy medium is around 40-45K starting, in my opinion.

Combat jobs in the military should get paid at least that.

You may be wrong about the lunch and OT stuff. I wont say for sure, because it varies by city. But where I worked, you did get paid for eating lunch, but you also MUST respond to calls and I lost many meals due to getting a call right when I got my food.

As for OT for being far away from home, 99% of PD's solved that years ago by having them sign out at headquarters before leaving.

But they are truly always "on duty". Many cops have gotten killed responding to calls off duty or on their way home.

Im very pro-police. BUT, you are 1,000% RIGHT!!! Our military is vastly underpaid, especially the combat troops. They should make at least the national average for law enforcement.

on a note aside....

no wonder he just passed a law to have protection for him and his family .... with government paid bodyguards 24/7 for life.... FOR LIFE!!!!

the hatred ..ohhhhhhhh the hatred for this man O Bum! :mad:

he will live in fear for the rest of his life! not a nice life.

MILITARY COMPENSATION: ARMY BENEFITS

IT’S MORE THAN JUST A SALARY

The Congressional Budget Office recently estimated that the average active duty service member receives an Army benefits and pay compensation package worth $99,000. Noncash compensation represents almost 60 percent of this package. Noncash compensation includes health care, retirement pay, child care and free or subsidized food, housing and education. Coupled with regular cash compensation, this adds up to attractive military compensation for Soldiers.

Civilian/Army Comparisons: Military Compensation: Army Benefits and Pay | GoArmy.com

I posted this on another thread but I say it again here ....

this is part of it

......Obama wants to diminish America's power to just that of another mediocre country, and stop the US as a super power from defending the world against the very obvious enemies!

Single-handedly he is destroying the safety of the world and putting a new politically correct culture into place.

Total, utter crap and you know it...
You have enough nukes to blow up the world a few times over...

I? Me?

I dont have s***

on a note aside....

no wonder he just passed a law to have protection for him and his family .... with government paid bodyguards 24/7 for life.... FOR LIFE!!!!

Obama signs law giving himself, Bush lifetime Secret Service guard | The Ticket - Yahoo! News
Obama signs law giving himself, Bush lifetime Secret Service guard

Former presidents have to give up rides on Air Force One. But now they don't have to give up being shadowed by the armed-and-earpieced bodyguards of the Secret Service.
President Barack Obama on Thursday signed into a law a measure giving him, George W. Bush and future former presidents and their spouses lifetime Secret Service protection, the White House announced.
The legislation, crafted by Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy of South Carolina, rolls back a mid-1990s law that imposed a 10-year limit on Secret Service protection for former presidents. Bush would have been the first former commander in chief affected.

on a note aside....

Obama signs law giving himself, Bush lifetime Secret Service guard | The Ticket - Yahoo! News
Obama signs law giving himself, Bush lifetime Secret Service guard

Former presidents have to give up rides on Air Force One. But now they don't have to give up being shadowed by the armed-and-earpieced bodyguards of the Secret Service.
President Barack Obama on Thursday signed into a law a measure giving him, George W. Bush and future former presidents and their spouses lifetime Secret Service protection, the White House announced.
The legislation, crafted by Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy of South Carolina, rolls back a mid-1990s law that imposed a 10-year limit on Secret Service protection for former presidents. Bush would have been the first former commander in chief affected.

Yep

he will live in fear for the rest of his days.

disgrace of a man!

Unless we get the citizens into the budget process making comments about any of this is equivalent to shouting at a mountain that it is in your way.

Okay a compromise, cut military spending, and welfare spending the same. Put the military cut towards the debt. Put the welfare cut towards educating minorities so more will get off welfare. That in itself will save billions and create more tax payers. The democrats would lose the minority vote, so they will be against it.

:eusa_eh:

We aren't educating minorities?

MILITARY COMPENSATION: ARMY BENEFITS

IT’S MORE THAN JUST A SALARY

The Congressional Budget Office recently estimated that the average active duty service member receives an Army benefits and pay compensation package worth $99,000. Noncash compensation represents almost 60 percent of this package. Noncash compensation includes health care, retirement pay, child care and free or subsidized food, housing and education. Coupled with regular cash compensation, this adds up to attractive military compensation for Soldiers.

Civilian/Army Comparisons: Military Compensation: Army Benefits and Pay | GoArmy.com

Yes, I've heard the law enforcement vs military pay discussion many times. And both deserve all that they get.

But yes, its true, the military gets a LOT of non-cash compensation. Such as housing subsidy, food, etc. I think they get somewhere between 700-1100 dollars a month just for housing, and that isnt included in their salary. I knew a couple of Air Force guys here in Charelston, they had a 2 bdrm apt, and they shared it with 2 other AF guys, 4 to a 2 bdrm, but they loved it because they raked in extra money. And good for 'em, they deserve it.

I think we overspend a LOT on military "stuff", and could cut a lot of waste.

But the PEOPLE in the military we underspend on, they deserve more. But so do our cops, and firemen, and teachers. Most underappreciated people in the workforce of America.

Unless we get the citizens into the budget process making comments about any of this is equivalent to shouting at a mountain that it is in your way.

1 US Representative per 700,0000 citizens..........No way there's going to be citizens involved it the budget process.

You don't suppose someone planned it that way...................?

1 US Representative per 700,0000 citizens..........No way there's going to be citizens involved it the budget process.

You don't suppose someone planned it that way...................?

Can't I get away with at least one illogical statement? :redface:

Obama is a traitor.

He will have to live the rest of his life with that.

That gives me comfort ... that he will pay for all the wrongs he has made.

1. We need to focus on threats, not made up theory (The Domino Theory, for exampe).

2. Money needs to be spent wisely; it seems the Congress is more concerned with individual members keeping jobs in their district than the defense of our country.

3. The Military-Industrial Complex is no myth, we need to make sure that members of Congress vote to protect the nation and not vote to protect the source of their campaign donations or the lobby which provides them with gifts and other incentives.

Forum List

Back