How much does a cheap Android tablet in America cost?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I was looking for a low end model, I just use them for surfing, sometimes watch netflix etc. We've had a few of them and I'm sure the last one I bought was maybe $30-40 Canadian. I was surprised to see that the best priced at Walmart was $99. Some were nearly $300. For a tablet, this seems ovepriced. Another store the prices were far higher, some more expensive than a laptop.

What's going on? Is this just a Canadian issue?

Build your own...

22e1a003fab3c595ffac09a0109cacea_original.jpg

I was looking for a low end model, I just use them for surfing, sometimes watch netflix etc. We've had a few of them and I'm sure the last one I bought was maybe $30-40 Canadian. I was surprised to see that the best priced at Walmart was $99. Some were nearly $300. For a tablet, this seems ovepriced. Another store the prices were far higher, some more expensive than a laptop.

These are fairly cheap tablets.

613XxuV1viL._SX425_.jpg

It may be Canadian........ :eusa_whistle:

I don't know when the last time you bought a tablet was. Back when cuneiform tablets were all the rage? :dunno:
Prices do go up and tablets like cell phones are in high demand though the demand seems to be slowing except for iPads.
Here's some comparisons and prices.

I don't know when the last time you bought a tablet was. Back when cuneiform tablets were all the rage? :dunno:
Prices do go up and tablets like cell phones are in high demand though the demand seems to be slowing except for iPads.
Here's some comparisons and prices.
Oops, forgot the link.
The Best Cheap Tablets for 2019

If you're not in a hurry, wait for the Black Friday sales

I picked up my Fire tablet for $49 then

Walmart/Sams are no longer as good as they once were on electronics. Limited selections, overpriced. I bought a very low end one a few years back for $40 for someone else to piddle with, mostly watch youtubes. I am not a fan of tablets so I don't have one for myself.

I build my own desktops and use Newegg a lot. They sell pretty much everything computer related.

Tablets, Tablets, Electronics - Newegg.com

That is about my experience as well.
Tablets are not a good deal.
They are harder to make than a computer because they have to have a touch screen, and be very light.
A cellphone has larger volume of sales and smaller screen, so are cheaper but more useful.
A real computer can use a hard drive instead of solid state memory.
I have a computer at home and a computer at work, so I would never need a tablet.
I would never recommend a tablet.

They are harder to make than a computer because they have to have a touch screen, and be very light.
A cellphone has larger volume of sales and smaller screen, so are cheaper but more useful.
I have a computer at home and a computer at work, so I would never need a tablet.

A 7" or 8" tablet is just convenient and if you watch netflix or youtube before one heads to sleep. Just another cheap toy for nerds or those who need their digital fixes.

A 7" or 8" tablet is just convenient and if you watch netflix or youtube before one heads to sleep. Just another cheap toy for nerds or those who need their digital fixes.
We have one 13" laptop which rarely gets used, two "large" cell phones which are primarily used as phones and rarely anything else, two 17" laptops and two desktops with 24" moniters. We have no need for tablets as the desktops are more than sufficient and convenient for watching movies as is the 39" TV.........
I have been considering getting bigger monitors for the desktops..........

Just sayin... when it comes to electronics, cheap is generally something you avoid.
For instance lap tops, I get aske all the times by friends/relatives/coworkers "what laptop should i get?" - I always answer "it's more about the laptops you should not get".
Buying a $300 laptop at Walmart is going to be misery. They are terribly underpowered and only have half the memory you need.
I would assume the same is true with tablets.

Having said all of this..if you really only want it t watch Netflix etc. or play a few games at night - then just get an Amazon Kindle. Amazon subsidizes the price so they are damn cheap. And the video is very good. Really good.

Check them out before buying. The cheap ones will probably have bad displays, making the usage no fun.

We have one 13" laptop which rarely gets used, two "large" cell phones which are primarily used as phones and rarely anything else, two 17" laptops and two desktops with 24" moniters. We have no need for tablets as the desktops are more than sufficient and convenient for watching movies as is the 39" TV.........
I have been considering getting bigger monitors for the desktops..........
They are good for snow. And for bar man who now can deliver the order and the billing together.

Last edited:

I also get asked all the time about chromebooks.
They are a great choice if all someone is doing is perusing the internet, watching videos etc.
At the same time, the cheapest ones are not that great. Poor video, less features and many apps not available than a better Chromebook.
I use multiple computers and devices. Chromebook works fine for me..for what I use it for. The speaker system sucks but for what I use it for, which is to facebook and look up and read stuff and to check my email at night while watching TV on an actual tv... it's great. I have used it for movies, the lighting is bad, too. On the other hand, it's cheap. It's good for writing, if you're a writer. You can save externally or to the computer.

You can still buy 7" tablets with limited features for under $30.

However, good quality tablets do cost money. $300 to $1,000 for a high quality tablet is normal.

I also get asked all the time about chromebooks.
They are a great choice if all someone is doing is perusing the internet, watching videos etc.
At the same time, the cheapest ones are not that great. Poor video, less features and many apps not available than a better Chromebook.
I use multiple computers and devices. Chromebook works fine for me..for what I use it for. The speaker system sucks but for what I use it for, which is to facebook and look up and read stuff and to check my email at night while watching TV on an actual tv... it's great. I have used it for movies, the lighting is bad, too. On the other hand, it's cheap. It's good for writing, if you're a writer. You can save externally or to the computer.

Nothing wrong with them, better than a cheap Microsoft Win 10 laptop by a country mile.
As long as one knows their limitations it is a great option

Forum List

Back