How do you like them Apples?

MisterBeale

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2012
So I like to have an apple a day. Red & Golden Delicious are too bland, IMO. Macintosh and Granny Smith are too tart. As this is apple growing country, of course we aren't going to grow NY apples, so we don't see any Empires 'round these parts . . . but I have for the past decade started seeing those Pink Ladys. At first they were pricey, and not what I would say, worth the extra cost.

I honestly don't see what the rage is about the Minnesota Apple, the Honey Crisp is, when it doesn't taste a lot different to me, than the Gala. A bit more sweet, but meh. . . not worth the extra cost in the off season.

Fuji and Pink Lady are just too sweet, if I want that, I'll have an orange.

A Guide to the Most Popular Apple Varieties​

united-states-top-apple-producing-areas-map.jpg

The Curse of the Honeycrisp Apple​

Everyone’s favorite apple is leaving Northeastern orchards out on a limb.

That was a good read if you like your apples.

So I like to have an apple a day. Red & Golden Delicious are too bland, IMO. Macintosh and Granny Smith are too tart. As this is apple growing country, of course we aren't going to grow NY apples, so we don't see any Empires 'round these parts . . . but I have for the past decade started seeing those Pink Ladys. At first they were pricey, and not what I would say, worth the extra cost.

I honestly don't see what the rage is about the Minnesota Apple, the Honey Crisp is, when it doesn't taste a lot different to me, than the Gala. A bit more sweet, but meh. . . not worth the extra cost in the off season.

Fuji and Pink Lady are just too sweet, if I want that, I'll have an orange.

A Guide to the Most Popular Apple Varieties​

united-states-top-apple-producing-areas-map.jpg

The Curse of the Honeycrisp Apple​

Everyone’s favorite apple is leaving Northeastern orchards out on a limb.​

That was a good read if you like your apples.
I have to admit that I do love me my Honeycrisp, but I also love Pink Lady.

It's because I'm delicate.

Anyone that loves to eat apples every day, and loves to get every last bit of the edible parts, know this tool is an essential.

iu

I use it every day with a Corelle® 6.75" Appetizer Plate, they seem to fit on both sides of the apple nicely, to core it and slice it perfectly, using every last bit perfectly.

. . yeah, I like Honeycrips too, I just don't think they are worth the increased price over Galas and Pink Ladys. IMO? They aren't that too much different.

I usually buy organic though, because I read, with apples it does make a big difference in nutritional quality. But I will occasionally get the Honeycrisps when I don't buy organic.

The organic Honeycrisps can go for sometimes eight bucks a bag. . . just not worth it, when a non-organic bag of Galas is four bucks.

Last edited:
Gravenstein are a great versatile apple. Good for eating, baking, sauce, but they don't store as well as other varieties so only available for a short time and rarely if ever found in grocery stores

If you grew up in Apple country, chances are good, you got taken to the Cider Mill.

I remember getting taken there as a kid. . . That, and having a parent that discouraged eating sweets, and a grandmother that taught me how to make pies, for a long time as a kid, my favorite apple was the Macintosh.

I don't think a fall goes by I don't pick up cider and cake donuts. The season hasn't official started with out the taste of cider and donuts.

iu

Gravenstein are a great versatile apple. Good for eating, baking, sauce, but they don't store as well as other varieties so only available for a short time and rarely if ever found in grocery stores
hmmmm. . . never have I seen those in my fruit market. If I see 'em, I will try 'em. :113:

I love to try all the varieties.

hmmmm. . . never have I seen those in my fruit market. If I see 'em, I will try 'em. :113:

I love to try all the varieties.

They are an older variety and I guess most are grown in Sonoma CA, but there's alot of them up here too, especially in peoples yards. I have 2, one of which is a 3 way with Winesap and another I can't remember off hand

I stopped trying to grow apples. Between the deer and the apple cedar rust, I lost too many to even bother again.

nary a word about granny smith's? i love tart apples
Macintosh and Granny Smith are too tart.
Did you bother reading the OP. . . or. . . do you have me on ignore?

:eusa_think:

I indeed, used to love tart apples, but my goto for the tart apples had always been Macintosh because that is what we prefer in this state. It is what we make pies and cider out of.

Whenever I make Carmel apples, or cinnamon apples, I only use Macintosh.

I just don't think the Granny Smiths are crisp enough, nor do they hold their flavor over time . . . but that comes from growing up in an apple state. If I am not correct, that Granny Smith hails out of Australia. Those and Delicious apples do better in southern climes, and folks down south usually grown up with those. Bigger? Not always better. If you like 'em tart? Give a Macintosh a try.

If you can find 'em.

OriginPeru, Iowa, United States
Red Delicious is a type of apple, first recognized in Madison County, Iowa, in 1872 that today comprises more than 50 cultivars. From 1968 to 2018, it was the most produced cultivar in the U.S.[1][2][3]

I stopped trying to grow apples. Between the deer and the apple cedar rust, I lost too many to even bother again.
When I was growing up, my Aunt & Uncle had a braeburn apple tree in their front yard. And they raised coon hunting dogs with a kennel on the side yard. For the most part, that kept the deer away.

Every year, they would gather at least a half dozen bushel from it. . . . which amazed me. Folks really don't have much idea about how much one tree can produce, it really does boggle the mind if you take good care of them and keep pests away. I have read professionals can get up to ten bushel off of a tree. . .

When I was growing up, my Aunt & Uncle had a braeburn apple tree in their front yard. And they raised coon hunting dogs with a kennel on the side yard. For the most part, that kept the deer away.

Every year, they would gather at least a half dozen bushel from it. . . . which amazed me. Folks really don't have much idea about how much one tree can produce, it really does boggle the mind if you take good care of them and keep pests away. I have read professionals can get up to ten bushel off of a tree. . .

A lot of people had apple trees when I was a kid. Pretty much all of them are gone now for one reason or the other. My area just isn't a great area for apples. We can go up on the parkway and buy good ones if we want to avoid the grocery, but that is about it.

Most stores don't show "state of origin" on apples.

It's hard, therefore, to avoid tainted apples from California, Oregon, Washington which may cause liberalism and loss of sense reality in consumers. Best avoided not clearly identified with state of origina. But remember, liberals lie so without verifiable proof eschew (don't chew on) apples.

If you already ARE a liberal, remember that apples are most effective in protecting the space where your brain might once have been by being SWALLOWED WHOLE.

Forum List

Back