how come Brits don't have an accent

harmonica

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2017
..how come the Brits and Aussies don't have their accents when they sing??...they sound American....there are a bunch of them that I thought were American

..how come the Brits and Aussies don't have their accents when they sing??...they sound American....there are a bunch of them that I thought were American
Usually the melodies cancel out the intonations that are the hallmark of accents

Some do. If you listen for them, sometimes you can hear it.

But really, it is because of the idea of cadence. And secondly, a lot of the identifiers of an accent (certain ways words are pronounced) fall to the side, when singing to produce a melody and/or match a harmony or a rhythm. Consonants they would normally not pronounce or would drop are pronounced, for example.

Listen to Robert plant sing words with r sounds in them after vowel sounds. Like, "turned". Imagine in your head a Brit speaking the word "turned". Now imagine Plant singing the word that way. It turns the word into a nasally mess with a long, nasally vowel sound that is not appealing to the ear. So, instead, he says, "T (errrr) ned". If he sang it with the accent, it would sound like "Tenned", with a long, nasally sound for the vowel sound.

"The queen of light took her vow, and then she turned to gold..." - Battle of Evermore

Another example: The British (and some regional US dialects) have a tendency to put an "R" sound between two vowel sounds, when the vowels end one word and start another. This melts away, when they are singing.

Last edited:
Mel Tillis stuttered horribly except for when he sang.

For whatever that's worth... :)

Forum List

Back