House repubs to target Social Security and Medicare cuts

or he is thrown out with the MAGA nuts leading the charge. That is okay. I guess it was worth the six months as Speaker?
/——-/
A72B1284-F33E-45BC-9BA5-CF6A293B4123.jpeg

If we're going to raise taxes by $900 billion, then why do we need to cut spending?
Your numbers are complete horseshit.
My numbers are fact.

I cut spending by $625b
I raise revenue by $900b

We BOTH know that neither of those suggestions will be 100% approved.
I left room for negotiation. Should we start paying down the $32T DEBT or not?

My numbers are fact.

I cut spending by $625b
I raise revenue by $900b

/——/ That extra revenue will be squandered like all of the rest of our tax money. And no spending will be cut.

My numbers are fact.

I cut spending by $625b
I raise revenue by $900b

yes, we should cut spending by 90%. Zero tax increase.

Interesting from someone that doesn't recognize that raising the FRA (Full Retirement Age) is actually a cut in benefits for younger workers.

Take for example two people that live until 77.

Person A born after 1960 reaches FRA age at 67, if that person draws $1,500 a month in SS that is (1500 * 12 * 10) = $180,000 to live on over those 10 years.

Person B born is prior to a grandfathered age adjustment which raises FRA to 70, if that person draws $1,500 a month in SS that is (1500 * 12 * 7) = $126,000 to live on over those seven years.

Of course raising the FRA (and early retirement ages) is a cut in benefits as the intent to to pay out less. To say it's - to paraphrase - "not a cut because benefits won't be reduced for those already receiving benefits" is setting a false limit on what cut means.

WW
/-----/ Try and follow a thread will ya? I was responding to this post:
sartre play said:
Who thinks people under 54 do not deserve SOCIAL SECURITY?

Well, here we go again. I guess there needs to be room for more tax cuts for the super wealthy.
And this is the way the left plays the game. Every program has its own recipients who scream as loud as they can if anyone even proposes touching their cash cow. The idea is to get enough people screaming loud enough to avoid EVER keeping the budget manageable.

And this is the way the left plays the game. Every program has its own recipients who scream as loud as they can if anyone even proposes touching their cash cow. The idea is to get enough people screaming loud enough to avoid EVER keeping the budget manageable.
So Social Security and Medicare is a "cash cow" to Republicans??

So Social Security and Medicare is a "cash cow" to Republicans??
Neither party is going to significantly damage those programs because they are a treasure trove of sure votes. It's hard to run against Santa Claus.

/-----/ Try and follow a thread will ya? I was responding to this post:
sartre play said:
Who thinks people under 54 do not deserve SOCIAL SECURITY?

I had.

You repeatedly said raising the Full Retirement Age was not a cut because current recipients and those over 54 would be grandfathered.

I showed you mathematically though that yes, raising FRA is a cut for those under the grandfather age as it means not being eligibile for FRA benefits until later. Later benefits means less payout over the same period.

WW

significantly damage those programs
Ohhh...so it's Ok to "sorta" damage them huh. And that "sorta" is subjective.

Here's an idea...don't damage them at all. BOLSTER them

I had.

You repeatedly said raising the Full Retirement Age was not a cut because current recipients and those over 54 would be grandfathered.

I showed you mathematically though that yes, raising FRA is a cut for those under the grandfather age as it means not being eligibile for FRA benefits until later. Later benefits means less payout over the same period.

WW
And there ya have it.

Fucking with Social Security and Medicare for people already living off it or soon to retire is political suicide.

So they target MY KID'S retirement thinking that is politically safer.

Fuck that

Ohhh...so it's Ok to "sorta" damage them huh. And that "sorta" is subjective.

Here's an idea...don't damage them at all. BOLSTER them
No, make them leaner and more efficient. Ruthlessly root out fraud and waste. Raise the age of participation. When SS was instituted, the average lifespan was 2 years shorter than the retirement age. Now the average lifespan is 12 years more than the retirement age. It currently requires 3 workers to support 1 retiree, soon to be 2 workers for each one. That's unsustainable, and to close your eyes, cover your ears and go "la la la la, I can't hear you" doesn't help the ultimate collapse of these programs. "Bolstering" the programs means what, in your mind, blindly spending even more on them"?

We have two choices, either take steps now to ensure the programs survive for tomorrow's retirees or do nothing and have nothing for tomorrow's retirees. Look at it this way, when you're morbidly obese and sedentary, your doctor gives you two choices, exercise, change your diet and live, or keep going the way you are and die. I'm an advocate for the patient to buckle down and do the difficult things to ensure a longer, better life, while you're an advocate for giving the patient even more to eat and a softer bed.

And there ya have it.

Fucking with Social Security and Medicare for people already living off it or soon to retire is political suicide.

So they target MY KID'S retirement thinking that is politically safer.

Fuck that
The current situation is unsustainable. Your kid's won't have much of a government subsidized retirement if we don't take steps to make the programs work better. Let's face reailty, Social Security was never intended to provide every worker 20 years of idleness when they retired. In fact, it didn't even kick in until the average worker had been dead for 2 years. Now, the average worker lives for 12 years after retirement. That's unsustainable.

The current situation is unsustainable. Your kid's won't have much of a government subsidized retirement if we don't take steps to make the programs work better. Let's face reailty, Social Security was never intended to provide every worker 20 years of idleness when they retired. In fact, it didn't even kick in until the average worker had been dead for 2 years. Now, the average worker lives for 12 years after retirement. That's unsustainable.
It isn't "government subsidized" jack ass.

We all paid into it

Forum List

Back