CDZ Historic examples of fast responses by the U.S. military when at peace?

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
Our military generally has represented themselves well. They leapfrogged blitzkrieg tactics in the great war. They did admirably in WWI and Korea. Vietnam didn't even really suck on their part.

I am trying to think of a few cases where when at peace we were attacked and the military responded instantly.

Pearl Harbor comes up as the best example I can think of. The USS Ward getting off the first shots on the midget sub.

FWIW, I count any Army vs Indian / Native American action as part of a continuous 100 year war.

Darn, I have been reminded of Iran Flight 655 and the USS Vincennes in 88.

Of course that made me think about the USS Stark the year before getting hit by the probably Iraqi missile.

I really don't know if I have one yet. I'll have to study a few things like how other militaries do in "surprise" situations and see if ours is much different.

More context....I supoose in reaction to a surprise attack or similar in time of peace.

Could be almost akin to Gary Powers getting shot down I suppose but the U2 flights were something we were doing on a regular basis if I recall so no one in Russia should have been caught unaware.

The KAL flight the Russians shot down would be a quick response on their part.

This is a big net I am casting here, sorry.

Our military generally has represented themselves well. They leapfrogged blitzkrieg tactics in the great war. They did admirably in WWI and Korea. Vietnam didn't even really suck on their part.

I am trying to think of a few cases where when at peace we were attacked and the military responded instantly.

Pearl Harbor comes up as the best example I can think of. The USS Ward getting off the first shots on the midget sub.

FWIW, I count any Army vs Indian / Native American action as part of a continuous 100 year war.
The rescue of Captain Phillips.

Are you a Chinese spy trying to figure out what the USN would do if / when China invades Taiwan ??

The Chinese are obviously wondering the same thing.

The Japanese botched their attack on Pearl Harbor by not hanging around long enough to finish the job.

What they needed to do was destroy the fuel depot there, and hunt down the carriers.

Nagumo was a trepid coward who was nervous in his boots the whole time he was sitting safely north of Hawaii.

Having failed to destroy the American carriers and fuel in Hawaii, the whole attack was merely a blunder.

Recovery was within a few days since the carriers were not destroyed.

The tide turned against Japan in the Coral Sea and at Midway 6 months later.

By then Japan was defeated.

America was saved by pure luck, or a miracle, depending on how you look at it.

The next miracle in history was at Normandy.

Clearly Germany was no match for the British and American navies in the Atlantic.

This kept sea communications open between the UK and USA.

Adolf probably should have avoided war with England in his bid to grab Europe.

But in invading Poland which was an ally of the UK, Adolf blundered.

By further invading Russia, Adolf was insane. He was like a high roller who could not quit.

By the time Ike got the European Expeditionary Forces assembled in England, it only took one more small miracle, bad weather in the Channel, to cover Ike's amphibious landings in France.

Again, another miracle, or a bounty of good luck, for Ike and America.

If China attacks Taiwan there will be a huge theatre war between them and the USA in the South China Sea.

There is a chance that China's air force can win it.

Boats on the water are easy targets for jet aircraft with harpoon missiles (the Chinese equivalent).

Since China will be fighting closer to home, this theatre war may end up same as the last two which China won -- N.Korea and Viet Nam.

But a lot of Chinese and Americans will die.

Then China will be ruined as a superpower while America easily recovers.

Putin by remaining neutral will be the ultimate winner.

There's a reason why you struggle to identify instances of the U.S. military responding quickly to attack on the U.S. as a nation: such attacks themselves are very rare in comparison to those experienced by other world powers, or even in comparison to the instances whereby the U.S. attacked another nation.
  • War of 1812, British forces burned the new capital at Washington, D.C. They also attacked Baltimore and New Orleans and captured Detroit, which at the time was a remote military outpost.
  • A brief incursion by Mexican troops across the Rio Grande began the U.S.-Mexican War in 1846. But the remaining action in that conflict occurred in California, New Mexico and in Mexico. California and New Mexico belonged to Mexico at the time.
  • Mexican revolutionaries led by Pancho Villa raided the town of Columbus, N.M., on March 9, 1916.
  • Japan attacked Pearl Harbor in Hawaii on Dec. 7, 1941, killing nearly 2,400 people and plunging America into World War II.

Thank you all.

I am going to do some study on prep times and what not on the mentioned events and try and see if there is any conclusion to be drawn.

If China attacks Taiwan there will be a huge theatre war between them and the USA in the South China Sea.

Boats on the water are easy targets for jet aircraft with harpoon missiles (the Chinese equivalent).

Since China will be fighting closer to home, this theatre war may end up same as the last two which China won -- N.Korea and Viet Nam.

But a lot of Chinese and Americans will die.

Then China will be ruined as a superpower while America easily recovers.

Putin by remaining neutral will be the ultimate winner.

What the heck?

Forum List

Back