Hip! Hip! Hurrah!

don't know why they didn't use parachutes

Parachutes don't work without air ... Mars has very little air compared to Earth.
No, but it has an atmosphere that is made up of other gases that will act in a similar way and I think with only one-third of the gravitational pull.

You're wrong. The atmospheric density at the surface of Mars is less than 1% that of Earth compared to . A parachute, which acts on air resistance, would be useless in an atmosphere that thin.

If Mars had a thicker atmosphere, the lighter gravity would make parachutes MORE efficient in that a much smaller parachute would provide equivalent braking force.

Parachutes don't work without air ... Mars has very little air compared to Earth.
No, but it has an atmosphere that is made up of other gases that will act in a similar way and I think with only one-third of the gravitational pull.

You're wrong. The atmospheric density at the surface of Mars is less than 1% that of Earth compared to . A parachute, which acts on air resistance, would be useless in an atmosphere that thin.

If Mars had a thicker atmosphere, the lighter gravity would make parachutes MORE efficient in that a much smaller parachute would provide equivalent braking force.
Silly, then all you need to do is make the parachutes 99% bigger ha ha ha!

Actually, several times that ...

Drag = 0.5 (Velocity2 × Air Density ×Surface Area × Drag Coefficient)

Actually, several times that ...

Drag = 0.5 (Velocity2 × Air Density ×Surface Area × Drag Coefficient)
It doesn't have to be Air! Air is if I remember around four-fifths nitrogen, one-fifth oxygen, other gases could be substituted.

Anyway, the point is the airbag cushions didn't work anyway.

It doesn't have to be Air! Air is if I remember around four-fifths nitrogen, one-fifth oxygen, other gases could be substituted.

Martian atmosphere is 95% CO2. But, for the purposes of the above formula, air is air, regardless of the gasses of which its made up.

Forum List

Back