Hillary Clinton's official kickoff speech at the Roosevelt Island Rally, 06/13/2015

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
About 46 minutes in length, and I strongly suspect that historians, in the future, will call this the "Four Fights" speech (see:Video/Transcript at 21:15):

Huge crowds, sunny day, strong speech.

Complete transcript of her speech:

Bustle

excerpts:

2:45

President Roosevelt called on every American to do his or her part, and every American answered. He said there’s no mystery about what it takes to build a strong and prosperous America: “Equality of opportunity… Jobs for those who can work… Security for those who need it… The ending of special privilege for the few. The preservation of civil liberties for all… a wider and constantly rising standard of living.”

That still sounds good to me.

It’s America’s basic bargain. If you do your part you ought to be able to get ahead. And when everybody does their part, America gets ahead too.

4:21

When President Clinton honored the bargain, we had the longest peacetime expansion in history, a balanced budget, and the first time in decades we all grew together, with the bottom 20 percent of workers increasing their incomes by the same percentage as the top 5 percent.

When President Obama honored the bargain, we pulled back from the brink of Depression, saved the auto industry, provided health care to 16 million working people, and replaced the jobs we lost faster than after a financial crash.

But, it’s not 1941, or 1993, or even 2009. We face new challenges in our economy and our democracy.

8:12

Prosperity can’t be just for CEOs and hedge fund managers.

Democracy can’t be just for billionaires and corporations.

Prosperity and democracy are part of your basic bargain too.

You brought our country back.

Now it’s time – your time to secure the gains and move ahead.

And, you know what?

America can’t succeed unless you succeed.

That is why I am running for President of the United States.

(big applause)

Here, on Roosevelt Island, I believe we have a continuing rendezvous with destiny. Each American and the country we cherish.

I’m running to make our economy work for you and for every American.

For the successful and the struggling.

For the innovators and inventors.

For those breaking barriers in technology and discovering cures for diseases.

For the factory workers and food servers who stand on their feet all day.

For the nurses who work the night shift.

For the truckers who drive for hours and the farmers who feed us.

For the veterans who served our country.

For the small business owners who took a risk.

For everyone who’s ever been knocked down, but refused to be knocked out.

I’m not running for some Americans, but for all Americans.

Our country’s challenges didn’t begin with the Great Recession and they won’t end with the recovery.

13:11

Now, there may be some new voices in the presidential Republican choir, (laughter) but they’re all singing the same old song…

A song called “Yesterday.”

You know the one – all our troubles look as though they’re here to stay (laughter)… and we need a place to hide away… They believe in yesterday.

And you’re lucky I didn’t try singing that, too, I’ll tell you!

These Republicans trip over themselves promising lower taxes for the wealthy and fewer rules for the biggest corporations without regard for how that will make income inequality even worse.

We’ve heard this tune before. And we know how it turns out.

Ask many of these candidates about climate change, one of the defining threats of our time, and they’ll say: “I’m not a scientist.” Well, then, why don’t they start listening to those who are?

They pledge to wipe out tough rules on Wall Street, rather than rein in the banks that are still too risky, courting future failures. In a case that can only be considered mass amnesia.

They want to take away health insurance from more than 16 million Americans without offering any credible alternative.

They shame and blame women, rather than respect our right to make our own reproductive health decisions.

They want to put immigrants, who work hard and pay taxes, at risk of deportation.

And they turn their backs on gay people who love each other.

Fundamentally, they reject what it takes to build an inclusive economy. It takes an inclusive society. What I once called “a village” that has a place for everyone.

Some of her proposals:

21:15 THE FOUR FIGHTS

If you’ll give me the chance, I’ll wage and win Four Fights for you.

The first is to make the economy work for everyday Americans, not just those at the top.

To make the middle class mean something again, with rising incomes and broader horizons. And to give the poor a chance to work their way into it.

The middle class needs more growth and more fairness. Growth and fairness go together. For lasting prosperity, you can’t have one without the other.

Is this possible in today’s world?

I believe it is or I wouldn’t be standing here.

Do I think it will be easy? Of course not.

But, here’s the good news: There are allies for change everywhere who know we can’t stand by while inequality increases, wages stagnate, and the promise of America dims. We should welcome the support of all Americans who want to go forward together with us.

There are public officials who know Americans need a better deal.

Business leaders who want higher pay for employees, equal pay for women and no discrimination against the LGBT community either.

There are leaders of finance who want less short-term trading and more long-term investing.

There are union leaders who are investing their own pension funds in putting people to work to build tomorrow’s economy. We need everyone to come to the table and work with us.

In the coming weeks, I’ll propose specific policies to:

Reward businesses who invest in long term value rather than the quick buck - because that leads to higher growth for the economy, higher wages for workers, and yes, bigger profits, everybody will have a better time.

I will rewrite the tax code so it rewards hard work and investments here at home, not quick trades or stashing profits overseas.

I will give new incentives to companies that give their employees a fair share of the profits their hard work earns.

We will unleash a new generation of entrepreneurs and small business owners by providing tax relief, cutting red tape, and making it easier to get a small business loan.

We will restore America to the cutting edge of innovation, science, and research by increasing both public and private investments.

And we will make America the clean energy superpower of the 21st century.

Developing renewable power - wind, solar, advanced biofuels…

Building cleaner power plants, smarter electric grids, greener buildings…

Using additional fees and royalties from fossil fuel extraction to protect the environment…

And ease the transition for distressed communities to a more diverse and sustainable economic future from coal country to Indian country, from small towns in the Mississippi Delta to the Rio Grande Valley to our inner cities, we have to help our fellow Americans.

Now, this will create millions of jobs and countless new businesses, and enable America to lead the global fight against climate change.

We will also connect workers to their jobs and businesses. Customers will have a better chance to actually get where they need and get what they desire with roads, railways, bridges, airports, ports, and broadband brought up to global standards for the 21st century.

We will establish an infrastructure bank and sell bonds to pay for some of these improvements.

Now, building an economy for tomorrow also requires investing in our most important asset, our people, beginning with our youngest.

That’s why I will propose that we make preschool and quality childcare available to every child in America.

And I want you to remember this, because to me, this is absolutely the most-compelling argument why we should do this. Research tells us how much early learning in the first five years of life can impact lifelong success. In fact, 80 percent of the brain is developed by age three.

One thing I’ve learned is that talent is universal - you can find it anywhere - but opportunity is not. Too many of our kids never have the chance to learn and thrive as they should and as we need them to.

Our country won’t be competitive or fair if we don’t help more families give their kids the best possible start in life.

28:16

Now, the second fight is to strengthen America’s families, because when our families are strong, America is strong.

And today’s families face new and unique pressures. Parents need more support and flexibility to do their job at work and at home.

I believe you should have the right to earn paid sick days.

I believe you should receive your work schedule with enough notice to arrange childcare or take college courses to get ahead.

I believe you should look forward to retirement with confidence, not anxiety.

That you should have the peace of mind that your health care will be there when you need it, without breaking the bank.

I believe we should offer paid family leave so no one has to choose between keeping a paycheck and caring for a new baby or a sick relative.

And it is way past time to end the outrage of so many women still earning less than men on the job — and women of color often making even less.

This isn’t a women’s issue. It’s a family issue. Just like raising the minimum wage is a family issue. Expanding childcare is a family issue. Declining marriage rates is a family issue. The unequal rates of incarceration is a family issue. Helping more people with an addiction or a mental health problem get help is a family issue.

In America, every family should feel like they belong.

So we should offer hard-working, law-abiding immigrant families a path to citizenship. Not second-class status.

And, we should ban discrimination against LGBT Americans and their families so they can live, learn, marry, and work just like everybody else.

31:37

So we have a third fight: to harness all of America’s power, smarts, and values to maintain our leadership for peace, security, and prosperity.

No other country on Earth is better positioned to thrive in the 21st century. No other country is better equipped to meet traditional threats from countries like Russia, North Korea, and Iran - and to deal with the rise of new powers like China.

No other country is better prepared to meet emerging threats from cyber attacks, transnational terror networks like ISIS, and diseases that spread across oceans and continents.

As your President, I’ll do whatever it takes to keep Americans safe.

And if you look over my left shoulder you can see the new World Trade Center soaring skyward.

As a Senator from New York, I dedicated myself to getting our city and state the help we needed to recover. And as a member of the Armed Services Committee, I worked to maintain the best-trained, best-equipped, strongest military, ready for today’s threats and tomorrow’s.

And when our brave men and women come home from war or finish their service, I’ll see to it that they get not just the thanks of a grateful nation, but the care and benefits they’ve earned.

I’ve stood up to adversaries like Putin and reinforced allies like Israel. I was in the Situation Room on the day we got bin Laden.

But, I know – I know we have to be smart as well as strong.

34:31

That’s why we have to win the fourth fight - reforming our government and revitalizing our democracy so that it works for everyday Americans.

We have to stop the endless flow of secret, unaccountable money that is distorting our elections, corrupting our political process, and drowning out the voices of our people.

We need Justices on the Supreme Court who will protect every citizen’s right to vote, rather than every corporation’s right to buy elections.

If necessary, I will support a constitutional amendment to undo the Supreme Court’s decision in Citizens United.

I want to make it easier for every citizen to vote. That’s why I’ve proposed universal, automatic registration and expanded early voting.

I’ll fight back against Republican efforts to disempower and disenfranchise young people, poor people, people with disabilities, and people of color.

What part of democracy are they afraid of?

No matter how easy we make it to vote, we still have to give Americans something worth voting for.

Government is never going to have all the answers - but it has to be smarter, simpler, more efficient, and a better partner.

That means access to advanced technology so government agencies can more effectively serve their customers, the American people.

We need expertise and innovation from the private sector to help cut waste and streamline services.

37:59 - The closer:

We Americans may differ, bicker, stumble, and fall; but we are at our best when we pick each other up, when we have each other’s back.

Like any family, our American family is strongest when we cherish what we have in common, and fight back against those who would drive us apart.

People all over the world have asked me: “How could you and President Obama work together after you fought so hard against each other in that long campaign?”

Now, that is an understandable question considering that in many places, if you lose an election you could get imprisoned or exiled - even killed - not hired as Secretary of State.

But President Obama asked me to serve, and I accepted because we both love our country. That’s how we do it in America.

With that same spirit, together, we can win these four fights.

We can build an economy where hard work is rewarded.

We can strengthen our families.

We can defend our country and increase our opportunities all over the world.

And we can renew the promise of our democracy....

You know, I know how hard this job is. I’ve seen it up close and personal.

All our Presidents come into office looking so vigorous. And then we watch their hair grow grayer and grayer.

Well, I may not be the youngest candidate in this race. But I will be the youngest woman President in the history of the United States!

And the first grandmother as well.

And one additional advantage: You’re won’t see my hair turn white in the White House. I’ve been coloring it for years!

So I’m looking forward to a great debate among Democrats, Republicans, and Independents. I’m not running to be a President only for those Americans who already agree with me. I want to be a President for all Americans...

...And along the way, I’ll just let you in on this little secret. I won’t get everything right. Lord knows I’ve made my share of mistakes. Well, there’s no shortage of people pointing them out!

And I certainly haven’t won every battle I’ve fought. But leadership means perseverance and hard choices. You have to push through the setbacks and disappointments and keep at it.

I think you know by now that I’ve been called many things by many people — “quitter” is not one of them.

Some analysis of the speech:

How Hillary Clinton s kickoff speech highlighted her advantage over Republicans - The Washington Post

Hillary Clinton Wraps Her Arms Around Barack Obama Observer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, this, imo, was exactly the speech that the Republicans are terrified of. And the timing is fascinating, because Jeb Bush has decided to announce for President tomorrow, two days after Hillary's first major campaign speech. Which event blunts the other event, if at all, remains to be seen.

I am pretty sure that polling will reflect both of these events, starting with results that are published about 7-10 days from now. Stay tuned for details....

And, this is the first speech since Rand Paul's amazingly detailed candidacy speech where so many specific policy details were presented, and arguments for why she wants to do what she intends to do. Like her or hate her, if you watch and listen to the speech, you must admit that she did this, in great detail. In fact, the last time I detailed a speech this much was by Rand Paul's speech, which I still consider an absolutely amazing speech for it's depth and breadth. So, cereal_killer , since I personally tagged you for his speech, I am tagging you for this one as well.

I know that this will take 46 minutes of your time, but if you did not watch her speech, I encourage each and every one of you to watch it. In my opinion, her detractors have just as much to gain from watching it as her supporters.

Watch, discuss, and feel free to quote from the transcripts above.

The usual class warfare combined with free shit giveaways.
By the way, what accomplishments does Hillary Clinton have that qualify her to be president?

This wasn't the kickoff speech, it is like the reboot speech.

Very much a Clinton controlled event. The reporters were herded to a spot and had little interaction with the crowd.

The crowd looked very white and middle class. I would have thought there would have been more diversity.

By the way, what accomplishments does Hillary Clinton have that qualify her to be president?

She seems to be superior than the current President in lying and dividing. Considering Obama has been the best at these points, Hillary is quite experienced.

A speech whose setup would have been loved by pre-Khrushchev Russia! Every chair position carefully controlled to prevent any possible display of intelligent reaction. Much like her regime would run things were Democrats stupid enough to nominate her. A degree of stupidity which I feel they have not attained.

But they're working on it.

She seems to be superior than the current President in lying and dividing. Considering Obama has been the best at these points, Hillary is quite experienced.

If you have been "divided" by Obama, you were not that committed to whomever you have been divided from to start with.

A speech whose setup would have been loved by pre-Khrushchev Russia! Every chair position carefully controlled to prevent any possible display of intelligent reaction. Much like her regime would run things were Democrats stupid enough to nominate her. A degree of stupidity which I feel they have not attained.

Oh brother.

Oh brother.
Yepp. The ultimate of batshit-crazy on parade.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

"We have to stop the endless flow of secret, unaccountable money that is distorting our elections, corrupting our political process, and drowning out the voices of our people."

She should pointing the finger at herself here. What a hypocrite lying bitch.

8 years as FLOTUS
8 years as US Senator
4 years as Secretary of State

Probably the best resume of any candidate since Bush 41.
Let's see....

Voted for the war in Iraq as a Senator.....

Accomplished nothing as Secretary of State (but brags on being in the Situation Room when Bin Laden was killed (even though she obviously didn't help plan the raid, since her only military experience was having a draft dodger as a husband)....

And glad you brought up FLOTUS!!!! Didn't she claim to be our co-president???? That means she must have been in on the decision not to kill Bin Laden, enabling him to carry out the deadliest attack on US soil in history.....

Bill Clinton Hours Before 9 11 Attacks I Could Have Killed Osama bin Laden - ABC News

Hours before the 9/11 terrorist attacks, former President Bill Clinton told an audience in Australia about his missed chance to kill attack mastermind Osama bin Laden, according to audio released this week.

Hypocrisy-wise, which is her one real talent---she excelled---she railed as usual against the super-rich assholes:

a) of which she is one, mainly through illegal influence-peddling;

b) most of whom are her buddies and live in libero/progresso/socialist strongholds--New York and California.

I think most people would like to see something done about the Greed-Mongers in these places, particularly the money-whores on Wall Street who trade mainly on insider-information, and who appear to be mostly Democrats...but the ones charged with doing something about it are the heavily Democratic elected officials in those blighted states AND the Justice Depart which is controlled by Barack Obama.

The hypocrisy of this gross, corrupt, lying, greedy, unhealthy woman is overwhelming...but her unadulterated Bullshit is directed at her base of fools, loons, Blacks, Mexicans, Homosexuals, Public Employee Unions, and those who have decided to live frugally, but without the stress of a job or a boss, on the Federal Government Plantation--where you get a raise every time you put out another baby without a husband....that constituency doesn't care how full of shit she is. They are getting close to a majority in this country, entirely though the Marxist ideology of Democrats who have been doling out borrowed money for 50 years to buy votes.....but the same character deficiencies which made them all Democrats...tend to make them too lazy to bother to vote.

That's one of Mrs. Clinton's many problems and that is what she was working on yesterday.

She had nothing for the type of hard-working American who built this country into the greatest society this world has ever seen--even if, centuries ago, George Washington owned slaves, and Thomas Jefferson had a long romantic relationship with one, and Andrew Jackson was mean to the Indians. "It is both error to judge the present by the past, and to judge the past by the present."

I say she can't win no matter how much her husband coaches her to bullshit her base.

Last edited:

8 years as FLOTUS
8 years as US Senator

And her accomplishments?

The world is one fucking mess and a good reason was because of the disasterous Obama/Hillary foreign policy.

She stopped our people in Benghazi from being rescued and as a result among the dead was our ambassador.

When questioned her response was "WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?"

She had a long history of corruption based of her involvement of giving favors for money.

She deleted all her emails excepted for the ones she wanted to give to release.

She is a crook.

Riker's Island would be a more fitting place.

Nice to hear the parrots repeating the Faux News lies and talking points.

You have to give them credit though. Rush, Fox and company have succeeded in convincing low income white folks to vote against their own best interests.

The racists on this board keep complaining about low information blacks voting for free stuff but at least they're smart enough not to vote for fewer jobs, lower income, and more money sucking wars.

8 years as FLOTUS
8 years as US Senator

She is a horrible human being. A liar. A fake. Does that mean anything to you?

Obviously not. Are you voting with your vagina? :/

Forum List

Back