Hillary Clinton Calls Education A ‘Non-Family Enterprise,’ Praises Common Core

As I stated, the publishers/authors are using it to their advantage to push their agendas. No comment about those that believe common core does not help? Let me ask you this, many moons ago, Americans scored higher than just about any other nation on tests. There was no common core there. Just traditional teaching methods that worked and worked well. Why do we not go back to those today, rather than try to reinvent the wheel?
When kids today, through common core math can't even count out change, something is wrong.
The common core standards are lowering expectations. Here are some experts comments on the matter-
While Common Core promoters assert their standards are "internationally benchmarked," independent members of the expert panel in charge of validating the standards refute the claim. Panel member Dr. Sandra Stotsky of the University of Arkansas reported, "No material was ever provided to the Validation Committee or to the public on the specific college readiness expectations of other leading nations in mathematics" or other subjects.

In fact, Stanford University professor James Milgram, the only mathematician on the validation panel, concluded that the Common Core math scheme would place American students two years behind their peers in other high-achieving countries. In protest, Milgram refused to sign off on the standards. He’s not alone.

Professor Jonathan Goodman of New York University found that the Common Core math standards imposed "significantly lower expectations with respect to algebra and geometry than the published standards of other countries."

Under Common Core, as the American Principles Project and Pioneer Institute point out, algebra I instruction is pushed to 9th grade, instead of 8th grade, as commonly taught. Division is postponed from 5th to 6th grade. Prime factorization, common denominators, conversions of fractions and decimals, and algebraic manipulation are de-emphasized or eschewed. Traditional Euclidean geometry is replaced with an experimental approach that had not been previously pilot-tested in the U.S.

Ze'ev Wurman, a prominent software architect, electrical engineer and longtime math advisory expert in California and Washington, D.C., points out that Common Core delays proficiency with addition and subtraction until 4th grade and proficiency with basic multiplication until 5th grade, and skimps on logarithms, mathematical induction, parametric equations and trigonometry at the high school level.

So you are against Common Core. This is not directed at you personally Matthew, but to everyone who is against Common Core. We are trailing the rest of the world when it comes to educating our children. Common Core Standards are what I would consider minimum standards in education, not pie in the sky expectations for our kids. If a child can't pass Common Core standards, that child is either as dumb as fuck or has a learning disability. If we want our kids to succeed in the world today, they better be able to make it through school with a few minimum requirements, or they are not going to make it in the real world If anyone is against common sense school standards, then they are raising pussies for children and do not want their children to succeed.

That being said, when I look at the way kids are being taught today, I do question what the Hell is going on. When my kids came home and showed me how they were being taught to figure out math problems, I couldn't even figure out what they were trying to do. Instead of making math easier, they made it more difficult. I am all for making learning as simple as possible, but there do need to be standards.

Nice cut and paste job without attribution. Isn't that a violation?

People disagree on the content. Try to find something that everyone agrees on! It can't be done.

However, the lies and misinformation about Common Core are historical.

Indiana "did away" with Common Core by changing the name and making some minor changes, but in reality it was still Common Core. That appeased everyone who didn't like Common Core by saying, "We replaced it!".

My state doesn't even call it Common Core and we were one of the first states to implement it! There are some things that Common Core leaves out, but I teach it anyway.

If you want to get rid of Common Core in your state, you now have the power to do so without losing any funding. However, don't come crying when the state asks for tax increases to replace all of those materials they bought that do not align with their "new" standards.

As always, be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it. ESSA changes all the rules regarding the use of Common Core. You are on your own!

You are simply being ridiculous.

The Common Core Standards were a step up from what was being used in many locations before they were created. Some may disagree, but if you believe how the math that is being taught is too hard, how will raising the standards even more help?

As to your testing, once again you are being misled. The reason we tested at the top of the world (or more accurately to say higher than now) was that we did not test all of our students.

When I attended schools in the 60s and 70s, kids with mental or physical handicaps were non-existent in schools and no one cared. A few years ago, I had a student who was confined to a wheelchair, had movement only in his right shoulder, neck and head, and was non-verbal. He was one of the smartest kids I ever taught! By the same token, children with severe learning disabilities that cannot function in society without supervision sit in the same classroom and take the same tests as everyone else.

I had a student dropped in my classroom one day who had gotten off the plane from the Ukraine 3 days before. Now he was in an American high school and I spoke more Russian than he did English. Guess what happens on test day? He sits down and takes the same tests as everyone else.

In my middle school classroom where I taught in the inner city, I was the only person in the room born in the US and spoke fluent English, but they had to learn social studies, so I did my best!

I love the oft repeated and uninformed comment about the inability to count change as that is a Common Core standard. The problem is that you don't understand it because you were taught in one way and the schools now teach it in a much simpler way that is easier for kids to understand, but you already know how to do it, so it confuses you. I have the same problem with my grandsons who are in elementary school, but I have the advantage of being a teacher. You don't..

The old days do not exist anymore and pretending they do is just intellectually dishonest.

I am glad the ESSA did away with the requirements for Common Core. Now maybe everyone will stop the bitching and get down to the business of helping to improve education.
Both my kids were taught by the new methods. Guess what? They struggled as it made no sense to them. We introduced phonics and made them learn their multiplication tables. They learned to do math in their heads. Their peers needed pencil and paper to figure out simple calculations, such as making change. They exceeded and went into ap courses and both graduated with honors and a year of college under their belts.
Now, I agree, we need to get back to the basics, so kids can excell. It is outrageous how many kids can't read, write, spell, or do simple math today, after years of instruction.
Now, to my point on scores, check out how sat scores were higher in '68 than today.
http://www.erikthered.com/tutor/historical-average-SAT-scores.pdf

Oh, come on! Why are you lying and making it so easy to see?

Your kids could not have been taught using Common Core, taken AP classes, and have already graduated from high school. Just what kind of idiot are you hoping is reading your posts? I have been teaching 19 years and we have gone through about 5 different "theories" on how to teach.

I will also excuse your ignorance regarding the SAT because you do not seem to realize that the SAT is a norm-referenced test and has been revised numerous times during the period you cited. Comparing scores from the 1950s to today is an apples to watermelon comparison.

Not meaning you specifically, as a professional educator, one of the biggest problems we have in dealing with parents is that so many of them are teacher wannabees, but don't have the skills or education to function in the field if education. They believe that since they were a product of the educational system, they must be experts in how it works.

For a moment there, I thought we might be able ,to have a discussion, rather than a slinging match.
Look, we started with common core principles before they became known as 'common core'. There are a number of teachers in our family, I am not an idiot on the subject, as you wish to imply.
Comparing sat is not the same? Really? You probably are also of the theory that international assessment is flawed, due to socioeconomic inequality as well. Even if you do, and wish to figure that into the equation, we still rank 6th in reading and 14th in math, according to a Stanford study.
Do you find that acceptable? Do you find it acceptable that due to socioeconomic classes, we should find it acceptable that certain classes are not learning? And excuse it?

As I stated, the publishers/authors are using it to their advantage to push their agendas. No comment about those that believe common core does not help? Let me ask you this, many moons ago, Americans scored higher than just about any other nation on tests. There was no common core there. Just traditional teaching methods that worked and worked well. Why do we not go back to those today, rather than try to reinvent the wheel?
When kids today, through common core math can't even count out change, something is wrong.
The common core standards are lowering expectations. Here are some experts comments on the matter-
While Common Core promoters assert their standards are "internationally benchmarked," independent members of the expert panel in charge of validating the standards refute the claim. Panel member Dr. Sandra Stotsky of the University of Arkansas reported, "No material was ever provided to the Validation Committee or to the public on the specific college readiness expectations of other leading nations in mathematics" or other subjects.

In fact, Stanford University professor James Milgram, the only mathematician on the validation panel, concluded that the Common Core math scheme would place American students two years behind their peers in other high-achieving countries. In protest, Milgram refused to sign off on the standards. He’s not alone.

Professor Jonathan Goodman of New York University found that the Common Core math standards imposed "significantly lower expectations with respect to algebra and geometry than the published standards of other countries."

Under Common Core, as the American Principles Project and Pioneer Institute point out, algebra I instruction is pushed to 9th grade, instead of 8th grade, as commonly taught. Division is postponed from 5th to 6th grade. Prime factorization, common denominators, conversions of fractions and decimals, and algebraic manipulation are de-emphasized or eschewed. Traditional Euclidean geometry is replaced with an experimental approach that had not been previously pilot-tested in the U.S.

Ze'ev Wurman, a prominent software architect, electrical engineer and longtime math advisory expert in California and Washington, D.C., points out that Common Core delays proficiency with addition and subtraction until 4th grade and proficiency with basic multiplication until 5th grade, and skimps on logarithms, mathematical induction, parametric equations and trigonometry at the high school level.

People disagree on the content. Try to find something that everyone agrees on! It can't be done.

Indiana "did away" with Common Core by changing the name and making some minor changes, but in reality it was still Common Core. That appeased everyone who didn't like Common Core by saying, "We replaced it!".

My state doesn't even call it Common Core and we were one of the first states to implement it! There are some things that Common Core leaves out, but I teach it anyway.

If you want to get rid of Common Core in your state, you now have the power to do so without losing any funding. However, don't come crying when the state asks for tax increases to replace all of those materials they bought that do not align with their "new" standards.

As always, be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it. ESSA changes all the rules regarding the use of Common Core. You are on your own!

The Common Core Standards were a step up from what was being used in many locations before they were created. Some may disagree, but if you believe how the math that is being taught is too hard, how will raising the standards even more help?

As to your testing, once again you are being misled. The reason we tested at the top of the world (or more accurately to say higher than now) was that we did not test all of our students.

When I attended schools in the 60s and 70s, kids with mental or physical handicaps were non-existent in schools and no one cared. A few years ago, I had a student who was confined to a wheelchair, had movement only in his right shoulder, neck and head, and was non-verbal. He was one of the smartest kids I ever taught! By the same token, children with severe learning disabilities that cannot function in society without supervision sit in the same classroom and take the same tests as everyone else.

I had a student dropped in my classroom one day who had gotten off the plane from the Ukraine 3 days before. Now he was in an American high school and I spoke more Russian than he did English. Guess what happens on test day? He sits down and takes the same tests as everyone else.

In my middle school classroom where I taught in the inner city, I was the only person in the room born in the US and spoke fluent English, but they had to learn social studies, so I did my best!

I love the oft repeated and uninformed comment about the inability to count change as that is a Common Core standard. The problem is that you don't understand it because you were taught in one way and the schools now teach it in a much simpler way that is easier for kids to understand, but you already know how to do it, so it confuses you. I have the same problem with my grandsons who are in elementary school, but I have the advantage of being a teacher. You don't..

The old days do not exist anymore and pretending they do is just intellectually dishonest.

I am glad the ESSA did away with the requirements for Common Core. Now maybe everyone will stop the bitching and get down to the business of helping to improve education.
Both my kids were taught by the new methods. Guess what? They struggled as it made no sense to them. We introduced phonics and made them learn their multiplication tables. They learned to do math in their heads. Their peers needed pencil and paper to figure out simple calculations, such as making change. They exceeded and went into ap courses and both graduated with honors and a year of college under their belts.
Now, I agree, we need to get back to the basics, so kids can excell. It is outrageous how many kids can't read, write, spell, or do simple math today, after years of instruction.
Now, to my point on scores, check out how sat scores were higher in '68 than today.

Your kids could not have been taught using Common Core, taken AP classes, and have already graduated from high school. Just what kind of idiot are you hoping is reading your posts? I have been teaching 19 years and we have gone through about 5 different "theories" on how to teach.

I will also excuse your ignorance regarding the SAT because you do not seem to realize that the SAT is a norm-referenced test and has been revised numerous times during the period you cited. Comparing scores from the 1950s to today is an apples to watermelon comparison.

Not meaning you specifically, as a professional educator, one of the biggest problems we have in dealing with parents is that so many of them are teacher wannabees, but don't have the skills or education to function in the field if education. They believe that since they were a product of the educational system, they must be experts in how it works.

For a moment there, I thought we might be able ,to have a discussion, rather than a slinging match.
Look, we started with common core principles before they became known as 'common core'. There are a number of teachers in our family, I am not an idiot on the subject, as you wish to imply.
Comparing sat is not the same? Really? You probably are also of the theory that international assessment is flawed, due to socioeconomic inequality as well. Even if you do, and wish to figure that into the equation, we still rank 6th in reading and 14th in math, according to a Stanford study.
Do you find that acceptable? Do you find it acceptable that due to socioeconomic classes, we should find it acceptable that certain classes are not learning? And excuse it?

I'm sorry. Common Core is what was being discussed. I must have missed when you changed the subject.

I honestly don't care that you have teachers in your family if you are not a teacher. If you want your cable or Internet fixed, you call my wife instead of me because that is her job.

You are right. Comparing the SAT is not the same from year to year. It is a simple concept.

In regards to the the international assessments, I find them to be grossly flawed.because of the students being tested. If you look at our scores from our non-minority students, we rank right up there with the best students from the best countries in the world. Add in our inner city kids and those whose primary language is not English, only then do our scores fall because they are averaged in. Countries in Asia always seem to do well because they have a completely homogeneous society with little or no minorities.

I have often wondered about comparing reading scores. How can you honestly compare reading in different languages? We test our kids in English despite the fact that for many it is their second language. I am sure that in Singapore they do not test their students in either Flemish or Swahili.

Parent's should have a say in their children's educations. It is not the feds that should dictate it. Do you not see the danger in removing parental input from the equation?
Hillary has always been an advocate of the communal raising of children. That's what the basis of her book It Takes A Village was about.

China back 2000 years, Greece, Roman empire, all of Europe during the middle ages into today...It should be the responsibility of society to educate our children. Why should it fall on parents?? Not saying they shouldn't have the choice to send their kids to a private school or to home school, but for you to say that we shouldn't attempt to educate our population is a idiotic thing to say.

No country on earth would be dumb enough.

What makes you think that the feds are dictating anything?

Some people think that Common Core is run by the federal government. Crazy, huh?

Right...
HSLDA: Common Core Issues
Ties to funding
Parent's should have a say in their children's educations. It is not the feds that should dictate it. Do you not see the danger in removing parental input from the equation?
Hillary has always been an advocate of the communal raising of children. That's what the basis of her book It Takes A Village was about.

China back 2000 years, Greece, Roman empire, all of Europe during the middle ages into today...It should be the responsibility of society to educate our children. Why should it fall on parents?? Not saying they shouldn't have the choice to send their kids to a private school or to home school, but for you to say that we shouldn't attempt to educate our population is a idiotic thing to say.

No country on earth would be dumb enough.

What makes you think that the feds are dictating anything?

Some people think that Common Core is run by the federal government. Crazy, huh?

Last edited:
I don't like Common core as I think we can do a whole lot better but she does have a point. Education is something society should handle as everyone deserves a education. We as a nation greatly benefit from doing so.

Where can we send you to get some education? You need it pretty badly.

Go easy on the "we're so special" bit.

Every so often a democrat lets slip a view of how much they agree with Karl.

Dear gawd save us

SNIP:

April 16, 2015 By Sean Davis
During her first official campaign event in Iowa earlier this week, former Secretary of State and 2016 Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton praised Common Core and referred to children’s education as a “non-family enterprise.” Clinton’s controversial statements about education, which were captured by C-SPAN, came in response to a question from a participant about how to offer a quality education throughout the U.S.

Clinton initially responded to the question about how to fix the U.S. educational system by praising Common Core. She then said that families today are too “negative” about the current system, a system Clinton described as “the most important non-family enterprise” in the country. After noting what she described as “unfortunate” opposition to Common Core, Hillary Clinton also blithely dismissed the concerns of Common Core opponents by saying they just “do not understand the value” of the controversial top-down curriculum:

Although Clinton said there shouldn’t be “two tiers of education” in the U.S., she opposes school choice, which would help parents in failing school districts send their children to better schools. Her comment that children’s education is a “non-family enterprise” is also likely to enrage families who believe that parents should be key players in the education of their own children.

Here’s a transcript of Clinton’s remarks from the video:

ALL of it here:
Hillary Calls Education A Non-Family Enterprise Praises Common Core

Usually steph just demonstrates her ignorance.

This is a great example of her dishonesty.

Public education is a non-family enterprise. It's public. Duh.

Nothing to see here, her misconstruing of Clinton (our next President) words is a fail.

All common core does is turn schools into test prep factories and students into test taking machines. It's one of the driving forces many parents choose the private school route

Forum List

Back