Hey white racists, Please stop asking for reparations for the Civil War

Reparations: What White People Need to Know
Luke Visconti

17082445-980x.jpg

Question:

Why does there seem to be the continuing sense of disbelief among African Americans that whites don’t want to pay reparations Is it really so hard to believe that people who had no part in slavery don’t want to give someone who was not enslaved money because a distant relative was enslaved Since this web site is supposed to be all about diversity’s bottom line, how would reparations benefit [businesses that] would be required to pay them

Answer:

I think you’re wrong about a “continuing sense of disbelief” among African Americans regarding the continuing refusal of our country to provide justice in the form of reparations. In my observation, most African Americans desire and strive for equity and fair treatment, but they also have a realistic understanding of how they’ll be treated.

In my opinion, reparations are owed to African Americans because of our history of 175 years of lawful slavery before the Civil War and another roughly 100 years of legislated and legal oppression of African Americans (AKA “Jim Crow”), which continued until the civil-rights era in the late 20th century.

That’s roughly 300 years of legalized oppression. If that doesn’t entitle a group to reparations, I’m not sure what does.

I think reparations should be paid in the form of dramatically increased public-school funding for predominantly black school districts, mortgage subsidies for low-income African Americans (who were not allowed to aggregate family wealth in the form of land/homeownership for most of our country’s history) and extensive food and healthcare services in lower-income, predominantly black neighborhoods. Wealthy black people could get a nice tax abatement for a period of years—just like industrialists such as Vice President Dick Cheney, who currently receives deferred compensation from Halliburton (deferred compensation is a way to postpone taxes, often into a period where the person is in a lower tax bracket).

This would benefit ALL Americans by providing the environment in which African-American talent can rise to its potential. An analysis of past social programs that benefited mostly white people (GI Bill, for example) demonstrates that improving opportunities for people dramatically increases wealth generation, which, in turn, liquidates any cost of the program involved by increased income taxes collected.

I’ll underscore this point with an anecdote told to me by a friend who retired as a superintendent of an inner-city school district, which served mostly black children. Before every long school holiday, her office would fill with kindergartners and first-graders who were not picked up from school because their parents were panicking over not being able to afford to feed their children while school was out (the children were getting government-funded breakfast and lunch).

Most human beings can’t deal with that level of deprivation and it causes problems that are paid for by society. For example, our country incarcerates more people per thousand than any other developed country—more than the former Soviet Union. Our country’s prisoners are overwhelmingly black and brown. The prison-industrial complex employs more people than General Motors and Wal-Mart added together. There is no sensible economic argument that the prison industry is one that generates societal wealth—it’s strictly a cost (it certainly generates wealth for the prison-industrialists, but it doesn’t contribute to our ability to grow GDP over time).

Therefore, the financially responsible question is: Why doesn’t the white majority realize that restoring socially oppressed people is an investment and that the repercussions of not doing so (people living entire lives with wasted potential) is an expense that only gets larger over time

Here’s another reason to provide reparations: The growth in our country’s labor pool is dropping to zero. If our country doesn’t maximize our human capital, the jobs aren’t going to go unfilled. They’ll just go—to places where there are workers. Once the jobs are gone, they’re gone. This should be a clarion call for business to pressure our government to deal with this. Without motivation, we cannot expect our government to be any more visionary than it was before Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. forced LBJ to the negotiation table, by organized peaceful protest, to pass the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts. There isn’t a Dr. King right now; who is going to provide the motivation if business does not. Unfortunately, I see most large American companies doing more to invest in overseas operations than motivating our do-nothing legislative branch to do something.

As far as your argument about “having no part in slavery,” you’re wrong. There is no way white people in this country can divest themselves of white privilege. Every white person in this country is born with a distinct advantage over every African American. It doesn’t make white people bad. However, every white person has a stake in this injustice—and will benefit from its remedy.

Reparations: What White People Need to Know

Intelligent and sucessful whites understand that reparations help the whole country, including whites.

Reparations were originally defined as financial penalties imposed on the losing country after a war. That country would have to pay the victor to compensate for injuries and damage sustained.

What Are Reparations & How Do They Work?

Based on this explanation alone, neither confederate soldiers or their descendants deserved payments.

Based on this explanation alone, neither confederate soldiers or their descendants deserved payments

No one has claimed that confederate soldiers or their descendants deserved reparations.

Now post the definition of military pension...……..

But they got them. And we haven't heard ant of the nonsense from people like you about it. I posted the definition of reparations and that's what those civil war soldiers got.

But they got them

Yes, they got a pension, they didn't get reparations.

I posted the definition of reparations and that's what those civil war soldiers got.

I saw your lie the first time you posted it. No need to repeat yourself.

Now post the definition of military pension.

WHAT BLACK RACISTS LIKE IM2 NEED TO UNDERSTAND:

THE LAW states: you commit the crime, you do the time. In 1865, 800,000 people gave their lives fighting over slavery. That was a greater payment than any loss Blacks ever suffered. So if you think you are owed anything else, I suggest you hire a lawyer, hunt down all the descendants of Confederate slave owning families and petition the courts for a further debt owed you, justifying the debt by material loses you can document YOU suffered, that is, after you can PROVE that you are even descended from actual slaves.

Other than that, all you may have is my boot up your ass!

I think descendants of slave OWNERS
should be given reparations for all the AGGRAVATION
it’s caused bringing your ancestors here in the first place
and having to deal with you fucks now
I think blacks owe white people reparations.

Prison costs
Burning down 7-Elevens
Raping white women

Is this the thanks we get for trying to civilize them?

THE LAW states: you commit the crime, you do the time. In 1865, 800,000 people gave their lives fighting over slavery. That was a greater payment than any loss Blacks ever suffered. So if you think you are owed anything else, I suggest you hire a lawyer, hunt down all the descendants of Confederate slave owning families and petition the courts for a further debt owed you, justifying the debt by material loses you can document YOU suffered, that is, after you can PROVE that you are even descended from actual slaves.

Since that didn't happen and millions of blacks have died because of the system of white racism created by this government, we will continue fighting for reparations. You only have 2 choices in this matter. Option A:The US government will pay reparations, or; Option B: a power higher than we possess whose laws supersede the constitution will render his judgment on this nation. It would be less costly if reparations are paid. If you do the crime, you do the time.

I suggest you don't take option B.

Reparations were originally defined as financial penalties imposed on the losing country after a war. That country would have to pay the victor to compensate for injuries and damage sustained.

Based on this explanation alone, neither confederate soldiers or their descendants deserved payments.

Based on this explanation alone, neither confederate soldiers or their descendants deserved payments

No one has claimed that confederate soldiers or their descendants deserved reparations.

But they got them. And we haven't heard ant of the nonsense from people like you about it. I posted the definition of reparations and that's what those civil war soldiers got.

But they got them

I posted the definition of reparations and that's what those civil war soldiers got.

Yep, those pensions were paid to individual soldiers to offset the damages they suffered because of war. That's the same as reparations.

But they got them

Yep, those pensions were paid to individual soldiers to offset the damages they suffered because of war. That's the same as reparations.

Pensions, not reparations.

Go ahead, post the definition of pension.

I'll be happy to explain the big words to you.

Since that didn't happen and millions of blacks have died because of the system of white racism created by this government, we will continue fighting for reparations. You only have 2 choices in this matter. Option A:The US government will pay reparations, or; Option B: a power higher than we possess whose laws supersede the constitution will render his judgment on this nation. It would be less costly if reparations are paid. If you do the crime, you do the time.

I'll stick with OPTION C: Blow it out your fat useless black ass! You deserve NOTHING and you'll never get nothing. The more you rant the more determined will be all of society to cut your grubby, greedy welfare-seeking ass off at the pass, welfare-mother-f***ker.

...You deserve NOTHING and you'll never get nothing. ....

Wait, wouldn't that mean he would get something? Everything other than nothing is something, so if he'll never get nothing he'll have to get something, right?

But they got them

Bullshit. Military participants get a pension, even now, black or white. So you are saying today’s military are getting reparations?

But they got them

You post up what those pensions were paid for, not your opinion of why, and I'll explain how they are reparations since you really don't know what reparations are.

I'll stick with OPTION C: Blow it out your fat useless black ass! You deserve NOTHING and you'll never get nothing. The more you rant the more determined will be all of society to cut your grubby, greedy welfare-seeking ass off at the pass, welfare-mother-f***ker.

There is no option c boy. You have 2 options and given your race has been given all the welfare, you will understand that you pay what you owe or what you have gets taken. The storms and natural disasters will increase as a result of your arrogance. Keep talking crazy and watch it happen .

But they got them

You post up what those pensions were paid for, not your opinion of why, and I'll explain how they are reparations since you really don't know what reparations are.

You post up what those pensions were paid for

Eligibility for Veterans Pension | Veterans Affairs

VA Survivors Pension | Veterans Affairs

Civil War Pensions

At the close of the Revolutionary War, the United States government began administering a limited pension system to soldiers wounded during active military service or veterans and their widows pleading dire Poverty. It was not until the 1830's and the advent of universal suffrage for white male and patronage democracy, however, that military pensions became available to all veterans or their widows. Despite these initial expansions, the early U.S. military pension system was minuscule compared to what it became as a result of the Civil War.

Beginning in 1861, the U.S. government generously attended to the need of its soldiers and sailors or their dependents. Because the Federal government did not implement conscription until 1863, these first Civil War benefits in many ways were an attempt to induce men to volunteer. Although altered somewhat over the years, the 1862 statute remained the foundation of the Federal pension system until the 1890s. It stipulated that only those soldiers whose disability was "incurred as a direct consequence of . . . Military duty" or developed after combat "from causes which can be directly traced to injuries received or diseases contacted while in military service" could collect pension benefits. The amount of each pension depended upon the veteran's military rank and level of disability. Pensions given to widows, orphans, and other dependents of deceased soldiers were always figured at the rate of total disability according to the military rank of their deceased husband or father. By 1873 widows could also receive extra benefits for each dependent child in their care.

In 1890 the most notable revision in the Federal pension law occurred: the Dependent Pension Act. A result of the intense lobbying effort of the veterans' organization, the Grand Army of the Republic, this statute removed the link between pensions and service-related injuries, allowing any veteran who had served honorably to qualify for a pension if at some time he became disabled for manual labor. By 1906 old age alone became sufficient justification to receive a pension.

At the same time that pension requirements were becoming more liberal, several Southern congressmen attempted to open up the Federal system to Confederate veterans. Proponents justified such a move by noting that Southerners had contributed to Federal pensions through indirect taxes since the end of the war. These proposals met with mixed responses in both North and the South, but overwhelmingly, opposition came from those financially comfortable Confederate veterans and southern politicians who regarded such dependency on Federal assistance a dishonor t the Lost Cause. It should be noted that impoverished Southern veterans frequently were not averse to the prospect of receiving Federal pensions. In any event, no such law ever passed, and Confederate veterans and their widows never matriculated into the Federal pension system.

Although U.S. Civil War veterans had received pensions since 1862 and Southern state governments had provided their veterans with artificial limbs and veteran retirement homes since the end of the war, it was not until the 1880s and early 1890s that the elevens states of the former Confederacy enacted what can accurately be called pension systems. The economic devastation of he war and the political upheaval of Reconstruction best explain this long delay. When Southern pension systems did finally emerge, they generally resembled the pre-1890 U.S. system: eligibility depended upon service-related disability or death and indigence, and widows as well as other dependents of deceased soldiers could receive pensions. Despite these similarities, however, there were striking differences. First, in the South widows collected pensions set at a specific rate for widows of deceased soldiers. These rates were generally lower than those to which their husbands would have been entitled should they have survived. Under the Federal system, there was no separate category for widows. Second, most Southern pension laws determined stipend amounts based only on the degree of disability. No regard was given to military rank. Third, there was never a Confederate equivalent to the 1890 U.S. Dependent Act. Although over time Confederate pension requirements became more liberalized, there was always an income and poverty limit-pensions were never given simply for service. Fourth, whereas indirect taxes funded Federal pensions, most Southern states financed their pension through a direct tax. And fifth, because Southern pension systems were on the state level only, they varied as to method and amount and were much less financially generous than U.S. pensions. Though the individual pensions of Southerners were minuscule compared to those of Federal veterans and war widows, as a percentage of state expenditures, Southern pension expenditures were monumental. Of all the former Confederate states, Georgia generally spent the most per year on pensions, Alabama ran a close second.

Both the Federal government and Southern state governments continued to provide pensions for Civil War veterans and their widows well into the middle of the twentieth century. In all, billions of dollars were expended by both sides in an effort to "reward" the survivors of America's costliest war. Because of the high rates of expansion in both the Federal and Confederate systems, critics frequently accused pensioners and officials alike of corruption and fraud. Those pensioners most often labeled as frauds were widows, especially young women who had married veterans much older than themselves, supposed "cowards," and, in the Federal system, black veterans. By the mid-twentieth century, both systems were generally considered devoid of original integrity.

Source: "Encyclopedia of the American Civil War" edited by David S. Heidler and Jeanne T. Heidler, article by Jennifer L. Gross

Civil War Pensions

There is no option c boy. You have 2 options and given your race has been given all the welfare, you will understand that you pay what you owe or what you have gets taken. The storms and natural disasters will increase as a result of your arrogance. Keep talking crazy and watch it happen .

You'll be lucky to get even option C, bigot. Talk that way in public where you are not protected behind your keyboard and I predict you get worse. But I agree that I will pay exactly what I owe and have taken, which is zero, whereas, you have already taken far more than you deserve.

There goes IM2 again, living in his cartoon world living his cartoon fantasies chasing after cartoon dreams hoping for cartoon reparations to repay him for a cartoon debt. The only two things REAL in his life are his hatred of living and his desire to make others carry his worthless ass through his entire life for forcing him to have to live.

But they got them

Civil War Pensions

At the close of the Revolutionary War, the United States government began administering a limited pension system to soldiers wounded during active military service or veterans and their widows pleading dire Poverty. It was not until the 1830's and the advent of universal suffrage for white male and patronage democracy, however, that military pensions became available to all veterans or their widows. Despite these initial expansions, the early U.S. military pension system was minuscule compared to what it became as a result of the Civil War.

Beginning in 1861, the U.S. government generously attended to the need of its soldiers and sailors or their dependents. Because the Federal government did not implement conscription until 1863, these first Civil War benefits in many ways were an attempt to induce men to volunteer. Although altered somewhat over the years, the 1862 statute remained the foundation of the Federal pension system until the 1890s. It stipulated that only those soldiers whose disability was "incurred as a direct consequence of . . . Military duty" or developed after combat "from causes which can be directly traced to injuries received or diseases contacted while in military service" could collect pension benefits. The amount of each pension depended upon the veteran's military rank and level of disability. Pensions given to widows, orphans, and other dependents of deceased soldiers were always figured at the rate of total disability according to the military rank of their deceased husband or father. By 1873 widows could also receive extra benefits for each dependent child in their care.

In 1890 the most notable revision in the Federal pension law occurred: the Dependent Pension Act. A result of the intense lobbying effort of the veterans' organization, the Grand Army of the Republic, this statute removed the link between pensions and service-related injuries, allowing any veteran who had served honorably to qualify for a pension if at some time he became disabled for manual labor. By 1906 old age alone became sufficient justification to receive a pension.

At the same time that pension requirements were becoming more liberal, several Southern congressmen attempted to open up the Federal system to Confederate veterans. Proponents justified such a move by noting that Southerners had contributed to Federal pensions through indirect taxes since the end of the war. These proposals met with mixed responses in both North and the South, but overwhelmingly, opposition came from those financially comfortable Confederate veterans and southern politicians who regarded such dependency on Federal assistance a dishonor t the Lost Cause. It should be noted that impoverished Southern veterans frequently were not averse to the prospect of receiving Federal pensions. In any event, no such law ever passed, and Confederate veterans and their widows never matriculated into the Federal pension system.

Although U.S. Civil War veterans had received pensions since 1862 and Southern state governments had provided their veterans with artificial limbs and veteran retirement homes since the end of the war, it was not until the 1880s and early 1890s that the elevens states of the former Confederacy enacted what can accurately be called pension systems. The economic devastation of he war and the political upheaval of Reconstruction best explain this long delay. When Southern pension systems did finally emerge, they generally resembled the pre-1890 U.S. system: eligibility depended upon service-related disability or death and indigence, and widows as well as other dependents of deceased soldiers could receive pensions. Despite these similarities, however, there were striking differences. First, in the South widows collected pensions set at a specific rate for widows of deceased soldiers. These rates were generally lower than those to which their husbands would have been entitled should they have survived. Under the Federal system, there was no separate category for widows. Second, most Southern pension laws determined stipend amounts based only on the degree of disability. No regard was given to military rank. Third, there was never a Confederate equivalent to the 1890 U.S. Dependent Act. Although over time Confederate pension requirements became more liberalized, there was always an income and poverty limit-pensions were never given simply for service. Fourth, whereas indirect taxes funded Federal pensions, most Southern states financed their pension through a direct tax. And fifth, because Southern pension systems were on the state level only, they varied as to method and amount and were much less financially generous than U.S. pensions. Though the individual pensions of Southerners were minuscule compared to those of Federal veterans and war widows, as a percentage of state expenditures, Southern pension expenditures were monumental. Of all the former Confederate states, Georgia generally spent the most per year on pensions, Alabama ran a close second.

Both the Federal government and Southern state governments continued to provide pensions for Civil War veterans and their widows well into the middle of the twentieth century. In all, billions of dollars were expended by both sides in an effort to "reward" the survivors of America's costliest war. Because of the high rates of expansion in both the Federal and Confederate systems, critics frequently accused pensioners and officials alike of corruption and fraud. Those pensioners most often labeled as frauds were widows, especially young women who had married veterans much older than themselves, supposed "cowards," and, in the Federal system, black veterans. By the mid-twentieth century, both systems were generally considered devoid of original integrity.

Source: "Encyclopedia of the American Civil War" edited by David S. Heidler and Jeanne T. Heidler, article by Jennifer L. Gross

Civil War Pensions

And those are reparations.

The various forms of reparation law and their scope and content, covering both monetary and non-monetary reparations, may be summarized in its five forms consists restitution, compensation, rehabilitation, satisfaction and guarantees of non-repetition. Reparation shall render justice by removing or redressing the consequences of the wrongful acts and by preventing and deterring violations.

The five forms of reparations are explained here below namely (1) restitution, (2) compensation, (3) rehabilitation, (4) satisfaction and (5) guarantees of non-repetition.

Restitution
Restitution
(2) refers to measures which “restore the victim to the original situation before the gross violations of international human rights law and serious violations of international humanitarian law occurred” (principle 19). Examples of restitution include: restoration of liberty, enjoyment of human rights, identity, family life and citizenship, return to one’s place of residence, restoration of employment and return of property.

Civil War pensions qualify as restitution.

Compensation
Compensation
(2) should be provided for any economically assessable damage, as appropriate and proportional to the gravity of the violation and the circumstances of each case (principle 20). The damage giving rise to compensation may result from physical or mental harm; lost opportunities, including employment, education and social benefits; moral damage; costs required for legal or expert assistance, medicine and medical services, and psychological and social services.

When compensation is not fully available from the offender or other sources, States should endeavour to provide financial compensation to:

( a ) Victims who have sustained significant bodily injury or impairment of physical or mental health as a result of serious crimes;
( b ) The family, in particular dependants of persons who have died or become physically or mentally incapacitated as a result of such victimization.

Civil War pensions qualify as compensation and the compensation met criteria a & b.

Rehabilitation
Rehabilitation includes medical and psychological care, as well as legal and social services

Civil War pensions included rehabilitation.

Satisfaction
Satisfaction includes a broad range of measures, including verification of the facts and full and public disclosure of the truth; an official declaration or a judicial decision restoring the dignity, the reputation and the rights of the victim i.e., the search for the disappeared, the recovery and the reburial of remains, public apologies, judicial and administrative sanctions, commemoration, and human rights training.

Civil War pensions met this criteria.

Guarantees of non-repetition
Guarantees of non-repetition comprise broad structural measures of a policy nature such as institutional reforms aiming at civilian control over military and security forces, strengthening judicial independence, the protection of human rights defenders, the promotion of human rights standards in public service, law enforcement, the media, industry and psychological and social services.

Civil War pensions were part of this criteria.

You need to know the rules before you start making declarations. You apparently don't know what reparations , meaning you don't know the categories, criteria or laws pertaining to them.

Reparations, Restitution, Compensation, Rehabilitation, Satisfaction, Guarantees of Non-repetition, Justice for Victims

Last edited:

There goes IM2 again, living in his cartoon world living his cartoon fantasies chasing after cartoon dreams hoping for cartoon reparations to repay him for a cartoon debt. The only two things REAL in his life are his hatred of living and his desire to make others carry his worthless ass through his entire life for forcing him to have to live.

I love life and I love even more carving up racist whites like you. I live in reality, yours is cartoon.

I love life and I love even more carving up racist whites like you. I live in reality, yours is cartoon.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

A little TRUTH for ya'all:

LEARN IT LIVE IT PREACH IT

Last edited:
But they got them

Civil War Pensions

Civil War Pensions

And those are reparations.

The various forms of reparation law and their scope and content, covering both monetary and non-monetary reparations, may be summarized in its five forms consists restitution, compensation, rehabilitation, satisfaction and guarantees of non-repetition. Reparation shall render justice by removing or redressing the consequences of the wrongful acts and by preventing and deterring violations.

The five forms of reparations are explained here below namely (1) restitution, (2) compensation, (3) rehabilitation, (4) satisfaction and (5) guarantees of non-repetition.

Restitution
Restitution
(2) refers to measures which “restore the victim to the original situation before the gross violations of international human rights law and serious violations of international humanitarian law occurred” (principle 19). Examples of restitution include: restoration of liberty, enjoyment of human rights, identity, family life and citizenship, return to one’s place of residence, restoration of employment and return of property.

Civil War pensions qualify as restitution.

Compensation
Compensation
(2) should be provided for any economically assessable damage, as appropriate and proportional to the gravity of the violation and the circumstances of each case (principle 20). The damage giving rise to compensation may result from physical or mental harm; lost opportunities, including employment, education and social benefits; moral damage; costs required for legal or expert assistance, medicine and medical services, and psychological and social services.

When compensation is not fully available from the offender or other sources, States should endeavour to provide financial compensation to:

( a ) Victims who have sustained significant bodily injury or impairment of physical or mental health as a result of serious crimes;
( b ) The family, in particular dependants of persons who have died or become physically or mentally incapacitated as a result of such victimization.

Civil War pensions qualify as compensation and the compensation met criteria a & b.

Rehabilitation
Rehabilitation includes medical and psychological care, as well as legal and social services

Civil War pensions included rehabilitation.

Satisfaction
Satisfaction includes a broad range of measures, including verification of the facts and full and public disclosure of the truth; an official declaration or a judicial decision restoring the dignity, the reputation and the rights of the victim i.e., the search for the disappeared, the recovery and the reburial of remains, public apologies, judicial and administrative sanctions, commemoration, and human rights training.

Civil War pensions met this criteria.

Guarantees of non-repetition
Guarantees of non-repetition comprise broad structural measures of a policy nature such as institutional reforms aiming at civilian control over military and security forces, strengthening judicial independence, the protection of human rights defenders, the promotion of human rights standards in public service, law enforcement, the media, industry and psychological and social services.

Civil War pensions were part of this criteria.

You need to know the rules before you start making declarations. You apparently don't know what reparations , meaning you don't know the categories, criteria or laws pertaining to them.

Reparations, Restitution, Compensation, Rehabilitation, Satisfaction, Guarantees of Non-repetition, Justice for Victims

Restitution(2) refers to measures which “restore the victim to the original situation before the gross violations of international human rights law and serious violations of international humanitarian law occurred” (principle 19). Examples of restitution include: restoration of liberty, enjoyment of human rights, identity, family life and citizenship, return to one’s place of residence,
So, if Africans are given reparations,
Africans can be sent back to Africa
guarantees of non-repetition
With guarantees they will not be taken out of Africa
and brought to America ever again

Hell yeah, Africans definitely are entitled to reparations!

Forum List

Back