Heisman Trophy

Couchpotato

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2021
They need to reclassify the Heisman as the best skill position or offensive college player. It’s not the best overall player. I’m not just talking about this year, though I think Aiden Hutchinson was probably more deserving of the award than Bryant this year. Its almost impossible for a defensive player to win it so just stop the charade.

I dont Think I could name more than a handful of Heisman winners. Plunkett, Simpson, Manziel, Mariotta, thit’s it off the top of my head. Just not an award I follow.

Isnt' that why they named the trophy after Heisman?

He was the best overall player?
No. John Heisman was the director of the downtown athletic club the org that gives out the award. And originally it was the most valuable player east of the Mississippi. So…

Hershall
I dont Think I could name more than a handful of Heisman winners. Plunkett, Simpson, Manziel, Mariotta, thit’s it off the top of my head. Just not an award I follow.
They give it to the best offensive skill position player typically a QB every year.

They need to reclassify the Heisman as the best skill position or offensive college player. It’s not the best overall player. I’m not just talking about this year, though I think Aiden Hutchinson was probably more deserving of the award than Bryant this year. Its almost impossible for a defensive player to win it so just stop the charade.

Maybe people think that you go defensive if you can't go offensive.

Bryce Young deserved the trophy this year. Yes, I agree that defensive players don't get enough love in the voting, but Young earned it this go around.

As for Aiden Hutchinson, he is a fine player. But Will Anderson is a better defensive player. In fact, Anderson received more 1st place votes than finalists C.J. Stroud and Kenny Pickett did.

Bryce Young received 684 first place votes. The next best, Aidan Hutchinson, received 78 first place votes.

I'll agree with the OP....

Seems like an easy fix. Have an "offensive" and "defensive" and "special teams" player of the year. Do like they do in Hockey.

Heisman Trophy--Best Offensive Player (Essentially the equivalent to the Hart Trophy in the NHL)
Vezina Trophy (Equivalent)--Best Special Teams Player (Vezina goes to the best Goalie in the NHL)
Norris (Equivalent)--Best Defensive Player (Norris goes to the best defense man in the NHL).

Bryce Young deserved the trophy this year. Yes, I agree that defensive players don't get enough love in the voting, but Young earned it this go around.

As for Aiden Hutchinson, he is a fine player. But Will Anderson is a better defensive player. In fact, Anderson received more 1st place votes than finalists C.J. Stroud and Kenny Pickett did.

Bryce Young received 684 first place votes. The next best, Aidan Hutchinson, received 78 first place votes.
Not only do defensive players never win the award, you have entire teams without a defense like Ohio State.

People only like offensive players.

Speaking of which, I just love how Desmon Howard made fun of the Buckeyes during the event in front of the nation

World class punks that team up north.

I wonder if the Buckeyes will show up next year or just continue to take this beating.

Last edited:
I agree with the OP. They are very biased on the award its almost always a QB or RB, when was the last WR to even win besides the one from Bama?

The voting being lopsided doesn't really validate the choice. Nothing against Bryce Young he's a very good player, but he just wasn't the best player in college football this year. 2 weeks before the season was over CJ Stroud was going to be the landslide winner. Then OSU lost and Young played well against UGA so voila he's the runaway favorite. Swings like that don't happen if when there is a clear-cut best player. But this isnt about just this year. They have given out the Heisman every year since 1935 you're telling me that the best player in college football is always (except once) an offensive player and for 17 of the last 20 years it's been a QB? That's not real. It's fine that it's the "best offensive skill position player" award. But just say that. Orlando Pace? Too many phenomenal players who were clearly the best player just didn't play the right position. Since 1971 the trophy has been given to a non QB or HB only 3 times.....

The voting being lopsided doesn't really validate the choice. Nothing against Bryce Young he's a very good player, but he just wasn't the best player in college football this year. 2 weeks before the season was over CJ Stroud was going to be the landslide winner. Then OSU lost and Young played well against UGA so voila he's the runaway favorite. Swings like that don't happen if when there is a clear-cut best player. But this isnt about just this year. They have given out the Heisman every year since 1935 you're telling me that the best player in college football is always (except once) an offensive player and for 17 of the last 20 years it's been a QB? That's not real. It's fine that it's the "best offensive skill position player" award. But just say that. Orlando Pace? Too many phenomenal players who were clearly the best player just didn't play the right position. Since 1971 the trophy has been given to a non QB or HB only 3 times.....

It is a beauty pageant. No argument there.

But Stroud was one of the finalists, just not the winner.

And QBs have measurable stats that make it easier to compare.

I don't recall Stroud eve being predicted to win by a landslide. The two QBs were relatively close through most of the season.

Stroud passed for 3,862 yards, 38 TDs with 5 interceptions. Young had 4,322 yards, 43 TDs, and 4 interceptions. That amount to a difference of 460 yards and 5 TDs. That is would be a very good game all by itself.

It is a beauty pageant. No argument there.

But Stroud was one of the finalists, just not the winner.

And QBs have measurable stats that make it easier to compare.

I don't recall Stroud eve being predicted to win by a landslide. The two QBs were relatively close through most of the season.

Stroud passed for 3,862 yards, 38 TDs with 5 interceptions. Young had 4,322 yards, 43 TDs, and 4 interceptions. That amount to a difference of 460 yards and 5 TDs. That is would be a very good game all by itself.
After the MSU blowout he was talked about as the clear frontrunner for the Heisman. That went way after the UM loss. My issue isnt necessarily that Young won it or any of the other QB/RB's won it in the past. The Heisman is supposed to be the best college football player not the best college offensive skill position player and of late the best college QB. If thats what the award is going to actually be then just say that.

I'll agree with the OP....

Seems like an easy fix. Have an "offensive" and "defensive" and "special teams" player of the year. Do like they do in Hockey.

Heisman Trophy--Best Offensive Player (Essentially the equivalent to the Hart Trophy in the NHL)
Vezina Trophy (Equivalent)--Best Special Teams Player (Vezina goes to the best Goalie in the NHL)
Norris (Equivalent)--Best Defensive Player (Norris goes to the best defense man in the NHL).
Tons of awards for college players already. None get the publicity the Heisman. 14 total awards.

Forum List

Back