Harry Reid: If We Win in November, We're Going to Nuke the Filibuster

I do not think they should do away with it but they should damned sure make them stand up there for hours and hours explaining why the minority should win.

When the elected representatives of 'We the People' start shitting on the rules that govern them we will have anarchy. In Congress, in the White House, in the Statehouses and in the streets.

I can only hope that there will remain enough of our military who take their oath seriously that we can avoid an all-out civil war.

When the anarchists come rioting down YOUR street will you fight them? Or join them?

This is a serious question, and the future of this nation may depend on your answer.

The filibuster isn't in the constitution. It's an arbitrary rule set up by the Senate. And it was meant to be used on in very dire situations. It was never meant to be BAU.

And my point is that power shifts, and what protects the minority now will also protect the majority when THEY become the minority.

Unless you're all good with throwing the whole thing in the shitter and going directly to one party rule, that is...

I'm not.

But neither am I for having the minority party completely kibosh the legislative agenda of the majority party.

There's a chain of command here..and while the rights of the minority party should be respected and their views taken into consideration, they should NOT have the right to completely halt the work of the congress.

Hope so cuz I'm really sick of the lying Rs stopping stopping JOBS creation and hiding behind the damn filibuster - all so they can go on another damn vacation, play golf and swill scotch.

The filibuster isn't in the constitution. It's an arbitrary rule set up by the Senate. And it was meant to be used on in very dire situations. It was never meant to be BAU.

And my point is that power shifts, and what protects the minority now will also protect the majority when THEY become the minority.

Unless you're all good with throwing the whole thing in the shitter and going directly to one party rule, that is...

I'm not.

But neither am I for having the minority party completely kibosh the legislative agenda of the majority party.

There's a chain of command here..and while the rights of the minority party should be respected and their views taken into consideration, they should NOT have the right to completely halt the work of the congress.

From the article...
Republicans have launched an unprecedented number of filibusters because Reid has used unprecedented tactics to block them from forcing tough votes or even offering amendments to legislation. (See: "filling the tree.") The only recourse for an otherwise powerless Senate minority, therefore, is to block cloture. This gridlock is a byproduct both of Reid's dreadful leadership and of the American people's will, which sent 63 new House members and seven new Republican Senators in 2010 explicitly to obstruct the Democrats' extreme agenda.
Harry Reid is the problem. As Majority leader he has been as autocratic as the Tsars. I don't see where the Republicans have any choice but to fight fire with fire. That is what they were elected to do. If the American people wanted to rush headlong into the Dem's agenda, they wouldn't have sent those 70 Republicans to stop it. If you want cooperation and compromise you've got to give in order to get.

I'm not.

From the article...
Republicans have launched an unprecedented number of filibusters because Reid has used unprecedented tactics to block them from forcing tough votes or even offering amendments to legislation. (See: "filling the tree.") The only recourse for an otherwise powerless Senate minority, therefore, is to block cloture. This gridlock is a byproduct both of Reid's dreadful leadership and of the American people's will, which sent 63 new House members and seven new Republican Senators in 2010 explicitly to obstruct the Democrats' extreme agenda.
Harry Reid is the problem. As Majority leader he has been as autocratic as the Tsars. I don't see where the Republicans have any choice but to fight fire with fire. That is what they were elected to do. If the American people wanted to rush headlong into the Dem's agenda, they wouldn't have sent those 70 Republicans to stop it. If you want cooperation and compromise you've got to give in order to get.

yes yes its Reid. Hes the problem. Not the fact that the Republicans are unwilling to compromise on ANYTHING...even shit they were in favor of just four years ago.

For crying out loud. Theres more of that bat shit crazy we were talking about.

I'm not.

From the article...

yes yes its Reid. Hes the problem. Not the fact that the Republicans are unwilling to compromise on ANYTHING...even shit they were in favor of just four years ago.

Yeah just like the Dems compromised on the healthcare law :eusa_boohoo:

O.K.

And if the GOP wins the senate and the W.H....they should nuke it too.

Then Obamacare is history.

Listening is correct. We all follow the same lege rules. If the dems think the pubs are being butts about governance, or vise versa, then let's go back to simple majority in the Senate. If Romney is president, he signs the bill. If Obama is president, he vetoes, and the dems try to override it.

I'm not.

From the article...

For crying out loud, I bolded it and you STILL didn't see it. Or you simply ignore it.

Republicans have launched an unprecedented number of filibusters because Reid has used unprecedented tactics to block them from forcing tough votes or even offering amendments to legislation. (See: "filling the tree.")

Did you get it THIS time??

Guy, 7 senators and 63 reps who hold up legislation are equally at fault as the majority.

Both sides have to work together.

Guy, 7 senators and 63 reps who hold up legislation are equally at fault as the majority.

Both sides have to work together.

I agree they should work together, but Harry doesn't want to play that way. Hell, he won't bring ANYTHING from the House to the floor, he won't allow any Rep amendments, he won't allow ANY debate, he's running the Senate like it's his own personal fiefdom.

The 7 and 63 are pandering to the base, House, as is Reid.

Both parties have to work together. I am hoping that a Romney victory will force the Dems to work with him, but I wonder.

I love to dig up old posts, call me Lazarus...

Nuke the Filibuster
It’s time to put Senate Dems in their place.
February 7, 2017
Daniel Greenfield
height.630.no_border.width_.1200.jpg

Senator Harry Reid had big plans for the filibuster last year. The outgoing minority leader was bragging that the filibuster would be eliminated if Republicans tried to stop President Hillary Clinton’s judicial appointments.

"I have set the Senate so when I leave we’re going to be able to get judges done with a majority. It takes only a simple majority anymore," the top Democrat bragged. "They mess with the Supreme Court: it'll be changed just like that."

But instead of watching the maids hang up her pantsuits in the White House closets, Hillary Clinton is working on a collection of essays that she hopes someone will want to buy and Harry Reid is yelling at the children playing on his lawn. The Democrats don’t have the Senate or the White House.

And, as President Trump has urged, it’s time to nuke the filibuster.

Despite its accidental origins, the filibuster was a good thing. But filibustering nominees is dead. Harry Reid made that clear. The only question is who will pull the trigger and be the first to benefit from it.

Will it be President Trump appointing a firmly conservative justice against the opposition of the left? Or will it be President Booker appointing a radical leftist against the opposition of Republicans?

The Democrat candidates in the last four presidential elections all came out of the Senate. The leading 2020 candidates, Warren, Booker, Sanders and Gillibrand, are mostly sitting senators. They are garnering attention and support with publicity stunts and obstructionism, like Booker’s “testimony” against Attorney General Sessions and Warren’s shrill meltdown at Logan Airport.

The lower tier, Merkley and Wyden, launch even more desperate publicity stunts. Merkeley will be filibustering President Trump’s nomination of Judge Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court. Wyden attempted to stop the process by refusing to show up entirely for committee hearings on two Trump nominees.

These antics are futile, but they make it very clear that Senate Democrats will do anything they can to undermine President Trump and pick up supporters and donors for their 2020 campaigns.

Even if a Supreme Court nominee isn’t filibustered, the very threat of it may force a compromise nominee down the road. And a compromise nominee is the last thing that this country can afford.

The recent history of the Supreme Court is littered with “moderate” nominations by Nixon, Reagan and Bush. Like the filibuster, this might be tenable if the Democrats reciprocated with moderate nominations. But instead the Democrats nominate leftists and Republicans nominate moderates who want to split the difference. The tide has been turning the other way. And now is no time to stop.

The Supreme Court is potentially the most powerful of the three branches of government. Supreme Court justices have the power to fundamentally transform the country in ways that few presidents, with the exceptions of FDR, LBJ and Obama in the last century, have been able to accomplish. The power to enforce or subvert the Constitution strikes at the very existence of the United States of America.

We cannot afford a “moderate” position on whether the Constitution should be upheld all the time, some of the time or only whenever it doesn’t interfere with a fashionable progressive agenda.

Prolonging the drama doesn’t accomplish anything useful. All it does is provide cover for compromises that the country cannot afford. The filibuster is another victim of the radicalization of the Democrats. The sooner we realize that the Senate, like the rest of the country, can no longer function the way that it did before the left took over a national party, the more we will be able to do to save this country.

And we won’t save this country without a Supreme Court that puts the Constitution first.

Nuke the Filibuster

The 7 and 63 are pandering to the base, House, as is Reid.

Both parties have to work together. I am hoping that a Romney victory will force the Dems to work with him, but I wonder.

Well Romney didn't win, and Trump is the best you got. Still hoping both parties work together now?

Or is that sentiment only for when they attempt to defy the President?

Forum List

Back