Hard Times: The Chinese of Sunset Park

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Perhaps this story belongs in RaceRelations....because this news story is what caused me post an essay on the culture of Chinese immigrants....

"Suspect Charged In East Village Attack That Killed Man, 68
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A suspect was charged Tuesday in the beating death of a 68-year-old man in the East Village.
Jamie Pugh, 20, was charged with second-degree murder, attempted robbery and assault in the attack last week, police said....Pugh approaching Hui and speaking briefly to him, before throwing him against a wall. Afterward, the grandfather is repeatedly punched and stomped on.
Hui was taken to Bellevue Hospital, where he died of his injuries the next day.
Pugh, who lives in the public housing development a block away from the beating...."
CBS 2: Sources Say Police Nearing Arrest Of Suspect In Deadly East Village Attack « CBS New York

Hui didn't speak English....and the original stories did not suggest robbery.

1. " ...the Fujianese work like dogs, as do Chinese immigrants generally. In New York City, the Chinese are more likely than any other ethnic group to live in dual-earning households. ... women typically sewed in garment-factory sweatshops....clean hotel rooms or take care of the elderly.

2. Men typically bus tables and wash dishes in restaurants. Their hours are brutal: ten hours or more a day, six and often seven days a week. They’re less likely than unskilled native-born Americans to be unemployed.

a. If they can’t find work in New York, they “commute” elsewhere. The Chinese restaurant labor market is an interstate business....Restaurant owners in the South and Midwest advertise in employment offices in Manhattan’s Chinatown...Local Chinese entrepreneurs run bus companies that transport waiters and chefs to weeklong gigs in Tampa or Chicago, and then back for a single night with their families in Brooklyn.

3. Lacking English skills and fearful of deportation, these workers often endure terrible treatment. ... But the Fujianese aren’t likely to complain. ....in China, they could expect an annual income of $500 to $750; the lucky ones working a factory job might make $1,500 a year. In the U.S., a busboy can earn $1,500 a month, plus room and board; a chef, maybe $2,500 a month.... with smugglers to repay and families back home in dire need, parents see no choice but to work ferocious hours.

4. ....what happens to the famous Chinese family values? ....In fact, the Fujianese immigrants don’t have a family life, or at least not one that middle-class Americans would recognize. “I never saw my parents,” Mandy Wong told me. Wong graduated from Brooklyn Tech High School and is now a junior at Hamilton College. Her parents “worked from 10 AM to 1 AM.” ..... She had many chores, and by third grade, she was serving as primary caretaker for her younger brothers. She had few friends—not because she was unlikable but because friends were deemed an unnecessary waste of time..... “I was considered one of the lucky ones,” she says, “because I had grandparents to take care of me and didn’t have to spend all my time in the sweatshop.” She was referring to the many poor Fujianese kids with nowhere to go after school but their mothers’ steaming workplaces. .... children sometimes get enlisted as reduced-fee or even free labor.

5. .... in general, the Sunset Park kids appear on track to achieve the upward mobility that some say is no longer possible in New York’s bifurcated economy. An analysis by New York public radio station WNYC showed that Sunset Park and Borough Park zip codes had among the largest number of acceptances at the city’s specialized, competitive high schools. .... it’s a safe bet that, unlike their parents—not to mention their gender-studies-majoring peers—they won’t be waiting tables."
Brooklyn's Chinese Pioneers by Kay S. Hymowitz, City Journal Spring 2014

synopsis in grown-up, English paragraph please. :eusa_whistle: Stop w/ your zany, day room, made up, formatting.:eusa_hand: I'm educated so I steer away from obvious gobbledygook.

Last edited:
they are saying it was an attempted robbery.

there are other groups, like gays and jews, and blacks who have been subject to racial attacks.

so i'm not quite sure where you're going with this... although Brooklyn's Chinatown, being, I think, the largest in the country, is certainly an interesting subject.

very good restaurants, too, btw.

synopsis in grown-up, English paragraph please. :eusa_whistle: Stop w/ your zany, day room, made up, formatting.:eusa_hand: I'm educated so I steer away from obvious gobbledygook.

1. "synopsis ... please.

You may consider me a solid wall of noncompliance.

2. "I'm educated..."

Fact not in evidence.

Let's be honest....your post is an oh-so-transparent Liberal attempt to avoid confronting the post, a suggestion that you could if you felt like it.

You can't.

there are other groups, like gays and jews, and blacks who have been subject to racial attacks.

so i'm not quite sure where you're going with this... although Brooklyn's Chinatown, being, I think, the largest in the country, is certainly an interesting subject.

"they are saying it was an attempted robbery."

I don't believe that to be the case.

Seems the vid didn't show the beast going through the victim's pockets....just killing him and walking away.

I would always rather construct an OP that leads to an undeniable conclusion, but since you attempted to hide behind the Liberal "they are saying it was an attempted robbery"....as though that is in any way an excuse for the savagery.....

...here is what I believe:

1. Liberal victimology doctrine teaches that whatever terrible situation one finds themselves in, it isn't your fault.

2. You can't get yourself out of it....only big government can do that for you.

3. The superhuman efforts by folks like these Chinese immigrants is...get ready for the Liberal terminology....'offensive' to those who have accepted the victimology doctrines....which includes no delay of gratification....

4. ....thus the savage attack on this elderly victim because he proves the doctrine to be a lie.

and...

5. I find your "they are saying it was an attempted robbery" to be an attack on him, as well.

"....although Brooklyn's Chinatown, being, I think, the largest in the country, is certainly an interesting subject.

very good restaurants, too, btw."

Remember this from Kagan's nomination hearing?

"When Graham questioned her about the Christmas Day bomber, Kagan started to answer seriously until he cut her off, asking her instead what she was doing on Christmas Day.

"Like all Jews, I was probably at a Chinese restaurant," Kagan said, prompting the hearing room to erupt in laughter."
Kagan: I spent Christmas at Chinese restaurant - POLITICO Live - POLITICO.com

It's like GlassJaw Joe picking a fight with Mike Tyson. You need to choose targets more on your level. Good luck

In the article the granddaughter states she had no idea there was such inhumanity in the world ( she may have used different word - same idea )

It was such a stark contrast from what a girl growing up in China would say! In China she would know of the re-education camps, the slave labor camps, the brutal work conditions, torture, human rights violations, forced abortions, an underground church of over 100 million true christians hiding from the communists in the Three Self Church - state run by communist China.

But she didn't!

Instead --- because she was raised in America she says I didn't realize such horrors could happen. I am very sorry for the racial attack against her grandfather but she must know the nation her grandfather came from commited far greater crimes against their own people in the name of communism. She doesn't know of such things because she had the privledge of growing up in America.

I should add I would agree this doesn't look like a robbery. It looks like a hate crime. Racially motivated perhaps.

6. "So what accounts for the poverty-defying trajectory of the Fujianese kids?
The answer is fourfold.

First is a cultural trait that has become a cliché in the model-minority discussion: a zealous focus on education. .... education for the next generation is close to a religion..... One recent college graduate, now a public school math teacher, told me that his mother would wake him at 5 AM to go over math problems—when he was in the first and second grade. ..
.... one kindergartner’s mother said, in faltering English: “My son must go Harvard.”

a. No matter how poor they are, parents find a way to get their fourth- or fifth-graders into test-prep classes. WNYC found one Sunset Park family who put aside $5,000 for classes for their three sons out of a yearly household income of just $26,000.

b. ....Chinese kids had the longest commutes to high school. Most parents would be uneasy about an hour-and-a-half trip every day from the middle of Brooklyn, say, to Bronx Science. Kasinitz found that Latino parents, in particular, like to keep their high schoolers close to home.
Chinese parents weren’t deterred by distance—or by much else.

7. The second reason for upward mobility among the Sunset Park Chinese is that they still believe in that troubled idea: the American dream. .... they maintain that they have been discriminated against, and they tell their children to expect discrimination as well.... Tales of school bullying are commonplace....[as in the murder recounted in the OP]

America remains the Golden Mountain, .... not just looking for jobs; they want to live the dream, which they see as owning their homes, being their own bosses, and sending their kids to top schools. Upward mobility isn’t just personal for these immigrants; it is familial and multigenerational.

8. ...they have their own way of creating intense family ties and obligations—and that thick community is another explanation for Fujianese success.
Couples frequently share living space with their children’s grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Children aren’t expected to follow their passions or explore their individual talents. .... they learn to equate their destiny with their family’s destiny. Parents work for their kids and extended kin; the kids work—go to school, do their homework—for their parents and extended kin."
Ibid.

A surprisingly high amount of Chinese who work in restaurants around here are from Fujian, whereas 20 years ago if you went to a Chinese restaurant it was usually owned/run by people from Hong Kong.

A surprisingly high amount of Chinese who work in restaurants around here are from Fujian, whereas 20 years ago if you went to a Chinese restaurant it was usually owned/run by people from Hong Kong.

There was a distinct change in the language one heard, in NYC Chinatown, too.

Rare to hear Cantonese, now.....more and more Mandarin.

But Sunset Park, Brooklyn: Fujianese

9. .... Chinese immigrant marriages remarkably stable, which, in turn, strengthens children’s family ties and accelerates their upward mobility. Along with the smaller population of Russian immigrants, largely settled in Brooklyn’s Brighton Beach, the Chinese boast the highest proportion of married-couple households among immigrant groups..... communities with high proportions of married-couple families also have higher rates of economic mobility.

[Did you notice, again, how this group proves that the Leftist 'if it feels good, do it' mentality works against economic mobility]

10. The fourth reason for Chinese upward mobility is the ethnic enclave itself—in this case, Sunset Park. .... the Chinese hire their own and work for their own. Newcomers who can’t read the Eighth Avenue subway station sign or don’t know the difference between a dime and a silver dollar are usually able to find jobs, anyway. They may be pitifully low-paying jobs under exploitative bosses, but the way the Chinese see it, they’re jobs nonetheless. The community also helps promote social ties.

a. ..... the Brooklyn Chinese American Association in 1982 and has turned it into a 24-site provider of after-school programs, day care, senior centers, legal advice, and mediation with the police and other government officials.

11. It’s no secret that mainstream American culture these days isn’t the best recipe for educational success. In Sunset Park, Chinese kids are part of a counterculture, reinforced daily by family members, by neighbors, by Chinese television shows, by local test-prep centers, and by more established Chinese residents. Shopkeepers might ask a child whether he has done his homework. They don’t ask kids what they want to be when they grow up because the correct answer is assumed.

“The role models for the poor [Chinese] are not basketball players and rap stars but successful businesspeople and professionals who they see up close,”
Brooklyn's Chinese Pioneers by Kay S. Hymowitz, City Journal Spring 2014

And their success.......?

I guess they did build it, huh?

I grew up in Sunset Park. It has always been an ethnically diverse, working class neighborhood.

Chinese immigrants are role models for other immigrants. They work hard, have strong family values, and they love this country!

Schezwan is my favorite Chinese..
Me too. Last year I spent some time in Chongqing where lots of great Sichuan food can be found, tried to find time to make it up to Chengdu for the true heart of Sichuan but never did.

Chongqing is of course known for sichuan hot pot, in all its mouth numbing colon cleansing glory.
hotpot1.jpg

Chengdu I think of shui zhu yu, the lovely soft fish bathed in ma la
food-image-61.jpg

Man I'm hungry now.

Schezwan is my favorite Chinese..
Me too. Last year I spent some time in Chongqing where lots of great Sichuan food can be found, tried to find time to make it up to Chengdu for the true heart of Sichuan but never did.

Chongqing is of course known for sichuan hot pot, in all its mouth numbing colon cleansing glory.
hotpot1.jpg

Chengdu I think of shui zhu yu, the lovely soft fish bathed in ma la
food-image-61.jpg

Man I'm hungry now.

Stop! Stop!.......

Forum List

Back