Happy Birthday John Wayne! We Need More People Like You!

We need more pretend tough guys who never fought for their country but are worshiped by ignoramuses who think what an actor does in movies is reality? Sure, you betcha. A man who was married 3 times and cheated on his wives--hey! Not unlike your current hero T-Rump. You guys run true to form, that can be said of you. LOL

John Wayne born in 1907 was to old to fight WWII. If he had possessed a relevant collage degree suitable for military service he might have been a candidiate for officers training school !
Not true...and he was very very sensitive when it was pointed out he didn't volunteer when people like Henry Fonda, Clark Gable, and Jimmy Stewart did.

Happy birthday to Americas iconic hero. We sure could use him back now.

John Wayne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

JohnWayneBDay_zps2xvzothf.jpg

My wife's cousin was married to him.

As a kid I recall my dad passing through the room while I was watching TV and asking what I was watching. It was the John Wayne film, The Fighting Seabees. My dad who spent some of the war up in the Aleutians replied that, "Back in the Navy we said that the Seabees stood for confused bastards."

Another time he asked what I had watched the previous night and told him The Battle of the Bulge (John Wayne wasn't in this one). He said he had a friend die in that battle, a guy named Joe Lucky. He said they both worked at an engineering company in Cleveland and ate lunch together. He recalled because of the war effort they were given only 7 minutes for lunch. When their deferments ran out my dad joined the Navy and his friend joined the Army.

The only other "war story" I ever got out of my parents was the time I was sitting at the kitchen table setting the gap in a set of spark plugs. My mom walked by and said that is what she did during the war.

My mothers father was rejected for the draft and deferred because of his job in a LTV plant. I have no idea what he did other than that he was a machinist, but the War Department felt he was of more use there than in a military unit.

My step grandfather was in the marines at Guadalcanal and he saw some horrid shit. I found an album of his one day that had pictures he took there and smuggled back home. The War Department took extra trouble to stop servicemen from doing that, but he managed to anyway. I will not describe the photos, but it was some time before I stopped having nightmares, lol.

He told me a story of when he realized the effect the fighting had on him psychologically when he was eating lunch, a rare hot meal, in the support area, and a shell exploded behind the cement wall he leaned against. A helmet came flying over and hit the ground in front of him, rolling. It looked odd, but when it came to a stop he could see that the thing inside it was someones head and the face had been made unrecognizable. He simply continued to eat and stare at the head in the helmet like nothing happened.

Those brave men went through some hell, in the full meaning of the phrase.

Sigh

Yeah- can't even discuss John Wayne without the idiots from the Left and the Right trying to piss on each other.

Sigh

Yeah- can't even discuss John Wayne without the idiots from the Left and the Right trying to piss on each other.

Extremism on both sides want to rip us all apart and set us to war on each other.

We need more pretend tough guys who never fought for their country but are worshiped by ignoramuses who think what an actor does in movies is reality? Sure, you betcha. A man who was married 3 times and cheated on his wives--hey! Not unlike your current hero T-Rump. You guys run true to form, that can be said of you. LOL
Think McQueen was a much better actor

Sigh

Extremism on both sides want to rip us all apart and set us to war on each other.

Sadly there cannot be a thread about a celebrities death or birthday without the assholes using it to spread shit.

I would not necessarily have always agreed with Wayne's politics- but I loved him as an actor- and I really enjoyed a great many of his movies. No reason we can't appreciate an artist even if we don't always agree with everything about them.

Happy birthday to Americas iconic hero. We sure could use him back now.

John Wayne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

JohnWayneBDay_zps2xvzothf.jpg

I loved John Wayne's movies- I am an unabashed fan.

Sounds like he was a stand up guy too.

What was your favorite film of his?
Stand up guy? Really? What is your definition of a stand up guy? A wife abuser? A cheater? A bully as a father and husband? A coward who doesn’t enlist in a time of war when everyone else does? A gluttonous drunk? What? What is a stand up guy? All of those qualities?
:rolleyes:

But he was a wife beater.

But he was a wife beater.
Didn''t know that

Forum List

Back