Guitar Guys...

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
I'm pretty sure there are a few guitar guys on the forum, so I'm throwing this out there.

With Fender electric guitars, the model name (Jazzmaster, Stratocaster, Duo-Sonic) are always featured on the headstock under or near the Fender logo:

9a0ac7ce4bf1a67bfea38b6cdb769b37.jpg

JazzmasterLogo1964.jpg

I got an e-mail today which talked about the Joe Strummer Telecaster, and it dawned on me that Telecasters are the only Fender model to have quotation marks around the model name:

L95646000001000-06-2000x2000.jpg

Any thoughts on why this is? I spoke to an old friend of mine who works at Fender and he said he'd never even noticed it before...

I'm pretty sure there are a few guitar guys on the forum, so I'm throwing this out there.

With Fender electric guitars, the model name (Jazzmaster, Stratocaster, Duo-Sonic) are always featured on the headstock under or near the Fender logo:

9a0ac7ce4bf1a67bfea38b6cdb769b37.jpg

JazzmasterLogo1964.jpg

I got an e-mail today which talked about the Joe Strummer Telecaster, and it dawned on me that Telecasters are the only Fender model to have quotation marks around the model name:

L95646000001000-06-2000x2000.jpg

Any thoughts on why this is? I spoke to an old friend of mine who works at Fender and he said he'd never even noticed it before...

A question that has been wondered about for a long time.

A question that has been wondered about for a long time.

Yeah, I saw that. There doesn't seem to be any real consensus, though.

Apparently, the Mexican-made models don't have the quotation marks.

I was also surprised to learn that the American-made Telecaster isn't the only Fender to have the quotation marks, although it's the only current model to have them.

Apparently, the Broadcaster and Esquire had them, as well...

One story I read is that Leo originally wanted to call that telecaster style a broadcaster but, Gretsch already had a drumkit with that name. The quotes were added to 'telecaster' as he considered it just a nickname and also to avoid problems with Gretsch.

Forum List

Back