Growing sprouts and microgreens at home

Are they the same thing ?

I can never remember but I know they're good for you..... in fact I read that lentils have double the antioxidants after you sprout them.

I was just commenting to the other half the other day about how I hadn't seen any alfalfa sprouts in a LOOOOONG time. I used to enjoy them on the sandwiches that they served at ski resorts years ago.

Are they the same thing ? I can never remember but I know they're good for you..... in fact I read that lentils have double the antioxidants after you sprout them.
I think Lentil taste nasty. Maybe sprouts would be an improvement for them?

I was just commenting to the other half the other day about how I hadn't seen any alfalfa sprouts in a LOOOOONG time. I used to enjoy them on the sandwiches that they served at ski resorts years ago.
The great covid pandemic crushed a lot of those smaller enterprises that supplied things like the sprouts.

I think Lentil taste nasty. Maybe sprouts would be an improvement for them?

The great covid pandemic crushed a lot of those smaller enterprises that supplied things like the sprouts.
The legume, lentil is good if they are made right. My mom used to cook them up with a bit of well marbled beef and they were delicious. I've never had lentil sprouts though.

The legume, lentil is good if they are made right. My mom used to cook them up with a bit of well marbled beef and they were delicious. I've never had lentil sprouts though.
Perhaps its just the taste one gets used too. I grew up eating all sorts of tasty beans, potatoes and barley with beef, chicken and pork cooked various ways but never Lentils. I tried cooking them all sorts of ways and decided I just don't care for them. Spoonful in soup may be tolerable but that would be it. I have some in a bag maybe I try making them into sprouts.

Perhaps its just the taste one gets used too. I grew up eating all sorts of tasty beans, potatoes and barley with beef, chicken and pork cooked various ways but never Lentils. I tried cooking them all sorts of ways and decided I just don't care for them. Spoonful in soup may be tolerable but that would be it. I have some in a bag maybe I try making them into sprouts.
My wife has a problem with certain textures. She doesn't care for lentils, hominy or black-eyed peas--staples that I grew up with. Sadly I haven't had any of them during our 47 year marriage. LOL

sprouts and microgreens are not the same....sprouts being the result of using some type of bean...microgreens are greens like lettuce etc harvested very early

Are they the same thing ?

I can never remember but I know they're good for you..... in fact I read that lentils have double the antioxidants after you sprout them.
[
Totally agree . But lentils and sprouts can be bought very cheap. .
My policy for many years has been to grow things I like best and are expensive to buy .
So, for me Chicory , Fennel , aubergines , globe artichokes , tomatoes and peppers are my big crops .

Admittedly the price of potatoes and leeks , for example , have increased , but you can still buy them much cheaper versus my preferred crops .

I grow sprouts in a quart mason jar.

Soak the seeds over night cove the mouth of the jar with cheese cloth and drain set the jar upside down on a wire rack over a plate to catch the drips then just rinse and drain the seeds twice a day in 5 days or so you have a jar stuffed full of delicious sprouts.

Store in a tightly covered container in the fridge and start a new batch

I love lentil sprouts, radish sprouts that tase peppery, pea and broccoli sprouts

Forum List

Back