Groundhog Day 2019: Punxsutawney Phil did not see shadow, predicts early spring

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
Pennsylvania's most famous groundhog did not see his shadow on Saturday, predicting spring will arrive early this year. Members of Punxsutawney Phil's top hat-wearing inner circle revealed their forecast at sunrise on Saturday, as the Midwest and East Coast recovered from this week's dangerous polar vortex and freezing cold temperatures.

After rapping on the door to Punxsutawney Phil's burrow, his handlers retrieved him from the log. Holding him high for the world to see, they placed Phil on the platform in front of two scrolls, each containing the prediction for either an early spring or six more weeks of winter.The groundhog pointed his nose toward one, thus making his prediction. That scroll was given to a handler who read it to the faithful crowd:

"Down in my burrow on long winter nights, I listened to tunes to keep my mind right. From Motown to country to rap – even Bach, there's Aretha and Elvis yeah, the Beatles rock. And your cheers at the Knob give me a thrill everyone signing to the world, 'Phil! Phil! Phil!'"

But predicting the weather – that's my song. For 133 years, I've never been wrong. So is it early spring or more winter forecast. Stop the music, he is my forecast.

Faithful followers, there is no shadow of me. A beautiful spring it shall be!"

Saturday was the 133rd annual trek of the Punxsutawney Ground Club to Gobbler's Knob. The entire town celebrates the day with a week-long festival.

In 1886, the local newspaper first mentioned the activities of the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club. That club, still active today, officially named the now-famous hilltop "Gobbler's Knob" and declared it as the official location for the groundhog to most accurately predict the weather.

The festivities have their origin in a German legend that says if a furry rodent casts a shadow on February 2, winter continues. If not, spring comes early.

Groundhog Day 2019: Punxsutawney Phil did not see shadow, predicts early spring

And what would Groundhog Day be without a clip from Groundhog Day ?
Here's one of my favorites.

Last edited:
Yep. We came out of our deep freeze and it felt like spring today. Even warmer tomorrow

Wouldn't it suck to be that town's mayor?

I day a year you have something to do, and it requires flushing your dignity down the crapper.

Where I'm at in PA it's been in the teens and single digits for the past week. This entire coming week it's going to be in the 40s and 50s. Thanks, Punxsutawney Phil. I still hope you groundhog cancer.

This is when those oil workers earn their big salaries in North Dakota.
Oil never sleeps...they gotta keep those machines moving...

1070.jpg

1071.jpg

Last edited:
Not so sure I would trust a furry rodent... (Phil has a 38% record of being right)

Weather patterns show a return to cold in about a week.. Not so sure that this is going to end well for the rodent...

Last edited:
Not so sure I would trust a furry rodent... (Phil has a 38% record of being right)

Weather patterns show a return to cold in about a week.. Not so sure that this is going to end well for the rodent...

I was wondering if anyone ever calculated his accuracy.

Wouldn't it suck to be that town's mayor?

I day a year you have something to do, and it requires flushing your dignity down the crapper.

Good to know some folks still have some levity.

Why is it 20 degrees here in St. Louis today & predicted dropping to 12 this coming weekend. These rodents should be shot on sight before they destroy home foundations, roads dams & yards.

Forum List

Back