Govt orders Amtrak to use system that automatically slows trains near Philly crash site

There is apparently a system that notifies the engineer when a train is going too fast for an approaching curve. And if he doesn't slow the train down manually, the system automatically applies the brakes and slow it down.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

But I have a few questions.

Did the government tell them up until now, NOT to use the system?

Did Amtrak really have to be TOLD to use this system?

And last but not least....

The last sentence I quoted from the article below, says the system is already being used on southbound trains on that track. So this tells me that all the equipment needed, was already in place. The money had been spent, the equipment bought and installed, and it was already being used... but only on trains going south. Why was it not being used on northbound trains?

------------------------------------------------------------

Amtrak told to expand speed control at deadly crash site - Yahoo News

Amtrak told to expand speed control at deadly crash site

Associated Press
By RON TODT
53 minutes ago

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Federal officials announced Saturday that Amtrak must immediately expand its use of a speed restriction system on Philadelphia's northbound rails where a speeding train reached 106 mph, flew off the tracks and crashed, killing eight people.

The Federal Railroad Administration said an emergency order would be issued in coming days that calls for Amtrak to ensure the presence of the automatic train control system that notifies an engineer when a train is above the speed limit and automatically applies the brakes if the engineer doesn't act to slow the train down.

The system is already being used for southbound trains approaching the curve where Tuesday's derailment occurred.
Amtrak is funded by the government and the republicans cut funding for it

Oh my the far left talking points never cease..
Yes facts to a rightwing christernoid are talking points

Yes I realize that far left religious dogma is facts to the far left, but not in reality..

There is apparently a system that notifies the engineer when a train is going too fast for an approaching curve. And if he doesn't slow the train down manually, the system automatically applies the brakes and slow it down.

The last sentence I quoted from the article below, says the system is already being used on southbound trains on that track. So this tells me that all the equipment needed, was already in place. The money had been spent, the equipment bought and installed, and it was already being used... but only on trains going south. Why was it not being used on northbound trains?

Associated Press
By RON TODT
53 minutes ago

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Federal officials announced Saturday that Amtrak must immediately expand its use of a speed restriction system on Philadelphia's northbound rails where a speeding train reached 106 mph, flew off the tracks and crashed, killing eight people.

The Federal Railroad Administration said an emergency order would be issued in coming days that calls for Amtrak to ensure the presence of the automatic train control system that notifies an engineer when a train is above the speed limit and automatically applies the brakes if the engineer doesn't act to slow the train down.

The system is already being used for southbound trains approaching the curve where Tuesday's derailment occurred.

Makes no sense. Government is always reactionary rather than proactive. It all comes down to some expensive equipment that was installed but not being used. Whoever made that call should be fired immediately. And the driver who didn't have the common sense to slow down should be fired whether he can remember going too fast or not.

The left will bow out now that they've used this tragedy to push their agenda. The facts about what really happened don't usually interest them much. Funny how their agenda is always to throw more money at everything.

There is much cheaper solution...its called a governor.....I would say 45mph max would ensure riders safety.

That would defeat the entire purpose of taking a train to New York/New England. You could drive faster than that. And the tracks on most of the route are made for much higher speeds. At 45 a train has no point whatsoever.

Oh, I thought saving gas was the goal of mass transportation. Besides, I think they mean just slow down for the big curves. Common sense.

Last edited:
There is much cheaper solution...its called a governor.....I would say 45mph max would ensure riders safety.

That would defeat the entire purpose of taking a train to New York/New England. You could drive faster than that. And the tracks on most of the route are made for much higher speeds. At 45 a train has no point whatsoever.

Oh, I thought saving gas was the goal of mass transportation.

It does have that effect, aside from the time.

How many people can you fit in a car? And how many in a train?
Alrighty then.

Associated Press
By RON TODT
53 minutes ago

Can't be. The democrats claimed it was the republican spending cuts that caused the crash.

The work was held up over funding.
Umm no they got plenty of funding. Are you going to tell me the government can't run a rail line with more free money from tax payers than a private rail does on their own dime? I'm fucking shocked!

Associated Press
By RON TODT
53 minutes ago

Can't be. The democrats claimed it was the republican spending cuts that caused the crash.

The work was held up over funding.
Liar.

Excellent. We made it all the way to post 2 before some hack brought in politics. This place is really cleaning up its act.
so did you go to all the threads where your fellow leftist stood on top of the victims bodies and blamed it on cons?

or are you just pissed to find out it actually wasn't our fault...

Associated Press
By RON TODT
53 minutes ago

From my understanding, all trains are planned to use the system. There wasn't enough money to do all of them, so they prioritized which ones would get the system, and the rest will be upgraded as funds allow.
I read that this train had the system already installed but the FCC could not get it online, something about the GPS.

seems like welfare for the rich.......
It's welfare for the east coast. Everyone else in the nation pays to keep this train rolling but wouldn't miss it if it was gone.
It's profitable in the northeast....they profit about $250000000 a year in the northeast corridor.....

It's suburbia that is unprofitable.

Plus congress gave Seattle and Oregon $560 million to add another train route....and the money congress earmarked could not be spent on the northeast....

From my understanding, all trains are planned to use the system. There wasn't enough money to do all of them, so they prioritized which ones would get the system, and the rest will be upgraded as funds allow.

The system and equipment are already in place on the trains.
In fact the rules require the system/equipment to be used on southbound trains (even the same trains going south) on the same rail lines.
In any case ... It is not a fool proof system if the engineer chooses to override it.

A warning is given to alert the engineer that the speed of the train exceeds the upcoming requirements (speed limit).
The automatic breaking system only engages if the engineer does not respond to the warning (such as being away from their station, asleep or unconscious).
If the engineer responds to the warning (pushes a button on the console) ... The automatic breaking system will not engage to override the engineer.

Last edited:

Associated Press
By RON TODT
53 minutes ago

I read that this train had the system already installed but the FCC could not get it online, something about the GPS.

I'm pretty sure the FCC has their requirements, and it's up to the manufacturer to certify they meet those requirements. If the system is already in use on other trains, I would think any requirements would have already been met. Where did you read that?

Forum List

Back