Government Take-Over of Rental Housing

You think the worst elements of San Francisco are bad?

They're what the entire nation will look like after these MASSIVE housing crises unfold.

And all conservatives can do is troll and call good working class people being CRUSHED by unpayable rent increases lazy and worthless.

Veterans, the disabled, the elderly, nurses, teachers, caretakers - all lazy scum in the eyes of cruel, godless conservatives.

Jesus weeps, guys.

A one word solution to that problem: Move!

Like health care or access to health care, those on the left are currently calling housing a “human right.” The National Economic and Social Rights Initiative (NESRI) says, “It is the government’s obligation to guarantee that everyone can exercise this right to live in security, peace, and dignity.” The book, In Defense of Housing argues against what it calls the commodification of housing, meaning the same thing: everyone is entitled to some kind of housing.

Prediction For 2030: A Government Take-Over of Rental Housing By Roger Valdez

The liberal idea here is to equalize housing.

Why should some live in decrepit tenements where the hallways smell like urine and the plumbing doesn't work property while others live in the Trump Tower?

A government takeover will ensure that everyone lives in a dump.

Yeah, though like COVID-19, the definitions of “home” will change against what one wants vs. what one needs. That’s why mutating the traditionally understood definitions will free more people because they can take it small bits at a time. To think Japanese minimalist is now in style.

I think I speak for most people in saying I have what I need, but not what I want. People generally always want more including me.

It's frightening how younger people think today. When I was younger, if you wanted something bad enough, you'd work for it even if that meant seven days a week. Today, people won't work past 40 hours and expect things to be handed to them in some way or form.

I have a close lifelong friend who I never see anymore because he works two full time jobs. He's been doing it for over 30 years now. I never even try to call the guy because when he's not working, he's sleeping. The only reason we stayed in touch is because I got him a job at the company I worked at years ago. I was forced into retirement about a year and a half ago, and now that company is closing down, so my tired weary friend will finally just have one job like most people do.

There is an installation in Wisconsin that has stood quasi-permanent for over 16 months. Though mobile, these 20 or so units are all on one lot and have stayed parked. There is a privacy fence around the perimeter. Badger suggested that if the lot is large enough, owners of the unit can move to another location on the lot, one-half acre or so minimum. These problematics can be worked out as the system evolves, but ownership is the first-cause philosophy. Many just give up because the traditional house/home image is too formidable and hopeless to retain in the mind.

I think I speak for most people in saying I have what I need, but not what I want. People generally always want more including me.

It's frightening how younger people think today. When I was younger, if you wanted something bad enough, you'd work for it even if that meant seven days a week. Today, people won't work past 40 hours and expect things to be handed to them in some way or form.

I have a close lifelong friend who I never see anymore because he works two full time jobs. He's been doing it for over 30 years now. I never even try to call the guy because when he's not working, he's sleeping. The only reason we stayed in touch is because I got him a job at the company I worked at years ago. I was forced into retirement about a year and a half ago, and now that company is closing down, so my tired weary friend will finally just have one job like most people do.
It sounds like your friend has not considered claiming the right to laziness once in a while.

In other words the Democrats are passing laws to prevent slumlord from screwing over their tenants and the Republicans are mad about it.
/----/ There are already laws on the books to protect tenants. Try and evict someone in NYC.

It sounds like your friend has not considered claiming the right to laziness once in a while.

Yeah, but his goal in life was to raise his family the way he was raised. Dad went to work, mom stayed home and took care of the kids, have a nice little house with a dog. He found his dream but worked his life off to get it. He raised a family of five, two of the three kids are out of the house to my knowledge, maybe even the last one, I don't know. He lost his sister about four years ago and then his brother-in-law about two years ago, and the guy was loaded. I don't know what he left my friend, but I'm sure it was a nice chunk of dough. If anybody deserves it, it's him.

I just don't see that motivation in younger people these days. As per the OP, it's gimme, gimme, gimme. People owe me, it's my right that they do owe me.

Uh-huh.

You're about to find out.

It's a mess to be sure, and good, hard working people are being choke-slammed with unpayable rent increases by landlords as *thanks* for the *crime* of keeping them afloat for the last 18 months.

Jesus is watching.
Another troll post. I am not a conservative. I am a moderate. I am just not a leftist.

There is an installation in Wisconsin that has stood quasi-permanent for over 16 months. Though mobile, these 20 or so units are all on one lot and have stayed parked. There is a privacy fence around the perimeter. Badger suggested that if the lot is large enough, owners of the unit can move to another location on the lot, one-half acre or so minimum. These problematics can be worked out as the system evolves, but ownership is the first-cause philosophy. Many just give up because the traditional house/home image is too formidable and hopeless to retain in the mind.

You'd be surprised, but home ownership is not the number one priority like it was years ago. There are people who can buy a house, but choose to rent because they don't want the problems of owning a home: getting a new hot water tank when yours blows, taking care of the lawn, taking care of the drive when it's snowing, what to do if the city gets on your ass about cracked sidewalks and so on. Town homes with maintenance contracts is the more popular thing today. You can own a home without all the problems that come with home ownership. Make one phone call for any problem and go on vacation.

Always wanting more what? Space? The organism can only inhabit just so much space, and transmuting these wants away from paying for so much space seems like a timely idea. When the structure you have built can go into a storage unit for awhile, you can go on months of a vacation. It will still be there when you get back. And each panel/module of your unit, as it is already paid for, stays in the storage unit until such time as all the pieces get built and are put together.

There is also the idea of splitting time and space: your structure is taken out of storage and goes to wherever during the day, and gets put back into storage at night. There are alternatives to the traditionally-spent hours of horizontal unconsciousness.

You'd be surprised, but home ownership is not the number one priority like it was years ago. There are people who can buy a house, but choose to rent because they don't want the problems of owning a home: getting a new hot water tank when yours blows, taking care of the lawn, taking care of the drive when it's snowing, what to do if the city gets on your ass about cracked sidewalks and so on. Town homes with maintenance contracts is the more popular thing today. You can own a home without all the problems that come with home ownership. Make one phone call for any problem and go on vacation.
Yes, so maybe that’s where a “landlord” can be redefined: someone who rents the space to structure owners, someone who takes care of snow-plowing, etc., though here is also the opportunity for structure owners to do the snow-shoveling. Unlike the traditional mobile home park, these units are much more mobile and this micro-mobility can translate into money and time saved, a system that can more adapt to fluctuating circumstances rather than C-19 emergency rent moratoriums. There will still be the problem of vetting, though now both the “landlord” and the tenant have more choices than signing leases. Can this system be flexible enough to rent for shorter amounts of time?

The suggestion is that those with addictions will probably fail in such a venture, the responsibilities of home ownership, however large or small the structure, is now available to those who thought they couldn’t do it, and just gave up.

You keep repeating this concept but the facts are this is simply not what people want.

The only way you are going to get something like this, with people living in quasi-mobile or mobile structures is straight out forcing it on them. Can you not see that is a negative thing?

It prints it up and calls it "debt" just like pretty much every issuer of fiat currency.
True BUT that actually is not where the wealth comes from. Printing is the process, the actual wealth then comes from every dollar in existence. Essentially from all of us. More importantly, from those that bother to save - those that have done the 'correct' things.

I am not a conservative. What crises? The Govt halted evictions and gave lazy people free money and now in some states like MA, businesses cannot find workers.
Almost - it's not some states. It seems to me as though it is all of them. Did my annual trip over the last few months - Washington, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, CA - ALL of them have now hiring signs on virtually every business I passed in every setting. From gas stations out in the boonies without another stop for 50 miles to museums in the cities, the need for employees seems to be pervasive absolutely everywhere. It is a sobering experience.

Forum List

Back