Gotta be honest here, Xbox-one purchase

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
The 360 was near perfect in every way as far as gaming functionality went.

I've had the Xbox-one for 3 days now. Haven't stopped using it, and here's my thoughts.

1. The multimedia functions are simply amazing. I used to have 4 remotes to run my system. Now I can control EVERYTHING via voice and gesture. I can't imagine going back to 4 remotes now. Seriously, if I say watch HBO it instantly turns to HBO.

2. User interface. It's a damn mess. Again it was near perfect on the 360 but now it's unnecessarily complicated. For instance, on 360 inviting a friend to a game was a 2 step process. Now it's so complex I need a god damn diagram.

3. The games. They are amazing. Dead Rising 3 is the best damn zombie game ever. Ryse, despite the reviews is fun and gorgeous. Forza 5 is the best racer ever. Battlefield 4 is having online issues but it will be patched later (typical for EA & Dice). Assassins Creed IV is the best in the series. Call of Duty Ghosts was a waste of my damn money. Killer Instinct looks great when my kids/grandkids play it but I suck at it. Kinect Sports makes my back hurt and Kinect fitness makes me want a beer.

Long story short this system needs some serious patch work to get the UI on par with the 360.

1. The multimedia functions are simply amazing. I used to have 4 remotes to run my system. Now I can control EVERYTHING via voice and gesture. I can't imagine going back to 4 remotes now. Seriously, if I say watch HBO it instantly turns to HBO.

I was sure that this feature just wouldn't work like everything else that's ever used voice recognition but I'm a little enticed after seeing what you said about it.

I'm leaning towards the PS4 though. I'm trying to stop myself from going out and getting one right now b/c I don't have the time to play it at all but I think it might be a losing battle. I could see myself eventually having both though since I have a 360 and a PS3.

• Banned

I was sure that this feature just wouldn't work like everything else that's ever used voice recognition but I'm a little enticed after seeing what you said about it.

I'm leaning towards the PS4 though. I'm trying to stop myself from going out and getting one right now b/c I don't have the time to play it at all but I think it might be a losing battle. I could see myself eventually having both though since I have a 360 and a PS3.

Good luck finding either now. They both sold out in 24 hours with over a million units each.

Having said that if multimedia is your thing then the X1 is the way to go. If just games is your thing then I can't speak for it as I haven't seen the new ps4 in action. I will eventually get both but the ps4 will have to wait till next year most likely. The only downfall for the ps4 at the moment is crap exclusives. One shooter, Killzone, that seems pretty good and a kiddie game called Knack. While the X1 has Dead Rising, Ryse (Roman hack n slash) and Forza.

I feel like the only improvement they focused on was the Multimedia. I'm a day one 360 owner but I have yet to be motivated to run out and get the X1

As far as multimedia, Roku device is infinitely better than Xbox 360, I do not know about X1 since I don't have one.
Roku:
1) The ability to search all media outlets at the same time. HUGE. No searching for a movie on Netflix, then search HULU, then search Crackle..etc. etc. - does it all at the same time.
2) No paywall, with X1 you have to have a live account to access Netflix etc. WHich cost $50-$60 a year.
3) You can port the video to another TV in the house.
3) There are 1000's of "private" channels. Some are pretty good - all are free.
4) You can pair Youtube with your laptop/tablet etc. Easier searching, and the ability to create custom watch list.
5) The device is literally the size of a hockey puck.
6) HDMI output (nope not on Xbox) And Dolby surround sound (nope not on Xbox)
7) Control everything with one remote. That also has a built in earpiece plug-in...that is wireless.

My only real complaint with XB1 so far is that without wifi you cannot set the thing up, and despite what it says, play the games. It is loaded down with microsoft IP protection. probably the biggest PITA console I have ever had. I wonder how many people will be returning it because they did not know they needed internet just to be able to play it the first time. It is definitely not a ready to go out of the box system.

My only real complaint with XB1 so far is that without wifi you cannot set the thing up, and despite what it says, play the games. It is loaded down with microsoft IP protection. probably the biggest PITA console I have ever had. I wonder how many people will be returning it because they did not know they needed internet just to be able to play it the first time. It is definitely not a ready to go out of the box system.

It was designed that way. And exactly the kind of thing you can expect from Microsoft.
It is called a "paywall", and only Xbox has it. You also need to pay for a live account to watch your own Netflix subsription or anyother app that uses the net.
Microsoft does not want a single console out there that they are not getting money from.
No X1 for me.

Recently I just got XBOX live 12 months of subscription card after one of my friends suggested me The subscription is awesome and is best at its price.

Forum List

Back