Google Is Offering Free Coding Lessons To Women And Minorities

Asclepias

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2013
Breathing rarified air.
This is a good way to give people a leg up that have been traditionally shut out of the good ole boys club.

This new initiative comes just days after Google published a diversity report that revealed only 30% of its employees are women, while African-Americans and Hispanics only comprised 1 and 2% of Google’s tech employees, respectively. Google said the current state of its company diversity is “miles from where we want to be.”

Read more: Google Free Coding Lessons To Women - Business Insider

A three month course on coding is only going to scratch the surface; and a lot of people - including Whites - soon realise they aren't cut out for it. You'd need at least two years of studying code which, in this case, I'm assuming is C++, to be eligible for a coding job. My wife can code, but prefers to concentrate on web development (although she still has to use Javascript) as she can't stand coding, which is a rather solitary occupation. Web developers tend to have more human contact than people who write code.

A three month course on coding is only going to scratch the surface; and a lot of people - including Whites - soon realise they aren't cut out for it. You'd need at least two years of studying code which, in this case, I'm assuming is C++, to be eligible for a coding job. My wife can code, but prefers to concentrate on web development (although she still has to use Javascript) as she can't stand coding, which is a rather solitary occupation. Web developers tend to have more human contact than people who write code.

What you are missing in your negativity is that it opens doors in the mind of people that would be good in the IT field regardless of if they stick with it or not. I doubt they mess with it much in the course anyway. While C++ is not dead many people use java which is way more user friendly and have never ever learned C++. BTW you dont need 2 years of coding. I picked it up enough to write scripts in 3 months.

Last edited:
Nice try, but there wasn't any "negativity". If Google want to offer short courses on how to code to women and minorities, then good for them, and the recipients. But professional coders will confirm what I've written: these courses will only scratch the surface of coding, and anyone who wants a career in coding will need to spend at least two years studying code.

Nice try, but there wasn't any "negativity". If Google want to offer short courses on how to code to women and minorities, then good for them, and the recipients. But professional coders will confirm what I've written: these courses will only scratch the surface of coding, and anyone who wants a career in coding will need to spend at least two years studying code.

I'm a professional coder. I just confirmed you were wrong. I wrote code for call center applications and its not that hard to pick up.

I'm a professional coder. I just confirmed you were wrong. I wrote code for call center applications and its not that hard to pick up.
All one has to do is go on indeed.com to discover that a person must have 3 to 5 years experience to be considered for a coding job. Even in web development.

Writing occasional php and jquery scripts is NOT a coder.

You haven't proved anyone wrong, Asclepias. No-one is going to give anyone who's completed this short course even a juniour coding position.

All one has to do is go on indeed.com to discover that a person must have 3 to 5 years experience to be considered for a coding job. Even in web development.

Writing occasional php and jquery scripts is NOT a coder.

Having 3-5 years experience is a requirement for a job. Its not a requirement to pick it up.

You haven't proved anyone wrong, Asclepias. No-one is going to give anyone who's completed this short course even a juniour coding position.

I wasnt proving anyone wrong. I was telling you that you were wrong. You can pick it up and lie about your experience.

This is why I know you're lying about being a professional coder. If you were a professional coder, you'd know that potential employers in the IT industry always ask for and check references, especially with regards to your competence and the amount of experience you have. Your work is also regularly examined by the systems analyst, whose job it is to make sure your work is accurate. Lack of experience would soon be spotted.

You've just been caught-out, Asclepias. My advice would be to do a little more research before you start telling tall stories.

I wasnt proving anyone wrong. I was telling you that you were wrong. You can pick it up and lie about your experience.

This is why I know you're lying about being a professional coder. If you were a professional coder, you'd know that potential employers in the IT industry always ask for and check references, especially with regards to your competence and the amount of experience you have. Your work is also regularly examined by the systems analyst, whose job it is to make sure your work is accurate. Lack of experience would soon be spotted.

You've just been caught-out, Asclepias. My advice would be to do a little more research before you start telling tall stories.

Not concerned with what you think. If your references are in the industry not much HR can do if they tell them what you instructed them to say. How do you think I got into IT after being turned down for interviews because I had no experience? I lied.

Not concerned with what you think. If your references are in the industry not much HR can do if they tell them what you instructed them to say. How do you think I got into IT after being turned down for interviews because I had no experience? I lied.

Software companies take their reputations incredibly seriously, because the competition is so fierce. If someone lied about their experience (or lack thereof) with coding, it would soon become apparent that they'd lied in the application. No HR managers or personnel are going to lie on your behalf, because they'd know that eventually their dishonesty would be revealed, and they'd lose their job after their boss gets a call asking why their company was falsely endorsing an inexperienced or incompetent coder who wasn't up to the task.

You didn't go to any interviews for a coding job, because you're clearly lying about being a coder in the first place. You're basically lying about lying.

This is a good way to give people a leg up that have been traditionally shut out of the good ole boys club.

This new initiative comes just days after Google published a diversity report that revealed only 30% of its employees are women, while African-Americans and Hispanics only comprised 1 and 2% of Google’s tech employees, respectively. Google said the current state of its company diversity is “miles from where we want to be.”

Actually, oh he who always makes things about race, they offer those classes to everyone. That is because, unlike you, they are bigoted assholes.

I don't think I would live to see a bunch of pasty socially inept basement dwellers, high functioning aspies, and comic-con refugees that have never touched a boob be considered "the old boy's club."

How many people sign up versus how many actually finish?

I remember seeing TWO people (in a class of 12) in tears during my C++ Final.

How many people sign up versus how many actually finish?

I remember seeing TWO people (in a class of 12) in tears during my C++ Final.

Yeah, that was a itch, hardest thing I ever taught myself, next to Assembly for every machine I used to code for.

Forum List

Back