Good songs they ruined with radio overkill.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
I remember this kicked ass when it came out, but (at least in NE Ohio where I grew up) in the 70's
they played it so much, even into the 80's and 90's, and by 2000 I couldn't even listen to it anymore.

But I've found the great songs still hold up. You just sometimes need a break from them for awhile.

Last edited:
I remember this kicked ass when it came out, but at least in NE Ohio where I grew up in the 70's
they played it so much, even into the 80's and 90's, and by 2000 I couldn't even listen to it anymore.

But I've found the great songs still hold up. You just sometimes need a break from them for awhile.

Nice thread idea, Angelo. The song that immediately comes to MY mind is "Stairway To Heaven", by Led Zeppelin. I absolutely loved that song until it got played to DEATH. I haven't heard it much in recent years because I rarely listen to the radio anymore. The last time I DID hear the song was when I played my remastered CD of Led Zeppelin IV, probably a couple months ago.

Here's another one.

If you can pretend you never heard it before like you're listening to it for the first time, it helps
regain the appreciation I think.

ANOTHER song I absolutely loved until it got played to death. I DO have Hotel California, the album, on CD, and on vinyl. I think I most recently listened to the CD about 7-8 months ago.

Another song that comes to mind is "Dreams", by Fleetwood Mac. I really liked this song until it played ad nauseum on the radio. I've come to like the song again because I haven't heard it that much in recent years. I probably last listened to it a couple years ago when I listened to my remastered CD of the album Rumors.

Anything by Hendrix that was any good got played to death. Same with Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. Good thing I like a lot of classical and classical crossover stuff and mostly female vocalists; they hardly get played on the radio at all,unlike the commercial stuff like pop and rock and country.

Nice thread idea, Angelo. The song that immediately comes to MY mind is "Stairway To Heaven", by Led Zeppelin. I absolutely loved that song until it got played to DEATH. I haven't heard it much in recent years because I rarely listen to the radio anymore. The last time I DID hear the song was when I played my remastered CD of Led Zeppelin IV, probably a couple months ago.
Color my World by Chicago is the same.
Played to death

Forum List

Back