Zone1 Giving up the search for God

Semantics. In any case, belief does not require proof. But I think you already knew that.
Not just semantics. A more detailed explanation is required. Scientific theories are explanations of natural phenomena developed from logical hypotheses and testable observations and experiments. Science uses the word 'fact' when referring to something that has been tested or observed so many times that there is every reason to accept the evidence and testing as offering every compelling reason to accept the data as repeatable and accurate. The occurrence of gravity as well as biological evolution in this sense are facts. Scientists no longer question whether gravity or biological evolution are quantifiable because the evidence supporting the theories are so strong. A law as described in science is a generalization that describes a natural phenomena. Note that science deals with natural phenomena as supernaturalism is not a science matter. A theory is an explanation of a natural phenomenon. For example, the law of gravity describes the motion of objects under certain circumstances when affected by other objects; the theory of gravity explains why these events occur. Laws, like facts and theories, can change with new data.

Yes, belief is what you have BEFORE scientific investigation. There are many scientists that believe in God but still are able to be objective in their scientific investigations. A wise scientist knows that they will NEVER have all the facts in the Universe.
I think a wiser scientist will understand that they may never have all the facts of the universe. A really wise scientist will understand that there is no better way to make sure something will never be understood than to convince yourself it will never be understood.

Really, I began my search when I realized that I did not believe in the existence of a supernatural dimension of human experience.

Why hasn't there been a miracle since the legends of the New Testament?

It's basically the question I pose to the Christian proselytes who I might have time to chat with. Last week the guy gave me some drawn-out reasoning that I cannot remember. I never do remember, just as they never remember my message: the Three-part Separation Theory is the root of the political chaos that trickles down causing the social disorderliness we endure, and then it cycles back in the election campaigns. Over, and over, and over, . . . repeating and compounding the errors in our social evolution approach to world peace
He was cruicified for our sins, what other miracles do you want? You need a show to make you believe?

You seem determined to require I believe as you do.
I am very sorry, Hollie. That is all in your mind. The hard truth is I care much more about my little chinchillas (my two little rodents) than I care about your beliefs or lack of them. I expect nothing of my pets but for them to act like rodents, and I don't even have that much expectation of you. You are simply six letters on a screen.

Since you have built me into something else I won't be entering into any more discussions with you. I am me, not some imagined figment in your own mind.

So long. Be well.

I am very sorry, Hollie. That is all in your mind. The hard truth is I care much more about my little chinchillas (my two little rodents) than I care about your beliefs or lack of them. I expect nothing of my pets but for them to act like rodents, and I don't even have that much expectation of you. You are simply six letters on a screen.

Since you have built me into something else I won't be entering into any more discussions with you. I am me, not some imagined figment in your own mind.

So long. Be well.
May the chinchilla be with you.

Bye.

Forum List

Back