George Will - The Conservative Sensibility

MadChemist

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2017
This book was written in 2020.

I just ordered it.

I am currently watching the interview Jonah Goldberg did with Mr. Will on C-Span. It's about an hour.

Very informative.

I posted it in this forum because the politics forum is simply a bloody mess.

I hope that is O.K.

I just ordered it.

I am currently watching the interview Jonah Goldberg did with Mr. Will on C-Span. It's about an hour.

Very informative.

I hope that is O.K.

Will is a swamp creature. His opinion is about as relevant to the USA as Xi's is.

George Will has always just been the guy they called to make it seem that conservatism has an intellectual basis.

I just ordered it.

Very informative.

I hope that is O.K.

Don't you mean the Trump bashing book?

Say, who does George consider to be a conservative I wonder?

I just ordered it.

Very informative.

I hope that is O.K.

He is one of the few people left that fit the textbook definition of "conservative". The rest of you are a weird tribe of right wing authoritarians, militant Christians and an assortment of various gun nutters. All are almost totally disinterested in the policy discussions that George Will excelled at.

I just ordered it.

Very informative.

I hope that is O.K.

He is one of the few people left that fit the textbook definition of "conservative". The rest of you are a weird tribe of right wing authoritarians, militant Christians and an assortment of various gun nutters. All are almost totally disinterested in the policy discussions that George Will excelled at.

They were never conservatives. What they've wanted all along was a pugilistic, aggressive, nationalist authoritarian autocrat. That's why they adore Trump so much - he's what they've been waiting for, for decades. All that "conservative values" and "limited government" tripe was bullshit all this time.

I just ordered it.

Very informative.

I hope that is O.K.

They were never conservatives. What they've wanted all along was a pugilistic, aggressive, nationalist authoritarian autocrat. That's why they adore Trump so much - he's what they've been waiting for, for decades. All that "conservative values" and "limited government" tripe was bullshit all this time.

It's a shame we all have to pay the price of big business losing control of their useful working class idiots.

I just ordered it.

Very informative.

I hope that is O.K.

It's a shame we all have to pay the price of big business losing control of their useful working class idiots.

Well, we can fix that going forward. Our system held. It can heal itself, if we're smart.

I just ordered it.

Very informative.

I hope that is O.K.

Well, we can fix that going forward. Our system held. It can heal itself, if we're smart.

I do not share your optimism. These people are just not going to come to their senses because they never had sense. You might have noticed that you can't beat a decent policy discussion out of them. How do you work with people who simply oppose everything that looks like a detailed plan?

I just ordered it.

Very informative.

I hope that is O.K.

I do not share your optimism. These people are just not going to come to their senses because they never had sense. You might have noticed that you can't beat a decent policy discussion out of them. How do you work with people who simply oppose everything that looks like a detailed plan?

There are people on both ends of the spectrum who simply lack the capacity to be a part of constructive conversation, so trying to drag them into it is wasted effort and only slows progress.

The question is whether the rest can pick up the slack and effectively work around them. I think so -- this four year debacle may have actually taught us something -- but I sure could be wrong.

Both Jonah and GWill are never-Trump Republicans, which it is perfectly OK to be.

The other side of the Republican Party - which is monumentally more populous and successful than the never-Trump side - is willing to overlook Trump's personal shortcomings because he has advanced more "conservative" initiatives than any other Conservative since Conservatism was birthed by Barry Goldwater and WFB in the 50's.

Whether you like it or not, the National Review version of Conservatism will never win a national election. Never. Not now, not in the future. Trump and Trump-ism are the future of the Republican Party.

I just ordered it.

Very informative.

I hope that is O.K.

Will is a swamp creature. His opinion is about as relevant to the USA as Xi's is.

And why would that be ?

I've always liked George Will and found him to be thoughtful/informative.

From this interview alone, I have two new books (besides his) to purchase.

I appreciate perspective that does not come with a lot of attitude.

George Will has always just been the guy they called to make it seem that conservatism has an intellectual basis.

Why does it need an intellectual basis ?

It is what it is. It is not something to strive for.

That was his entire point.

I just ordered it.

Very informative.

I hope that is O.K.

Trump is never mentioned in the book.

That was specifically pointed out by Goldberg.

I just ordered it.

Very informative.

I hope that is O.K.

Heavy criticism which I don't think is balanced.

Are you saying that the left has a higher percentage of people who actually understand or are interested in policy discussions and the nuances of politics ?

These guys were mauled by Trumpism, and they're understandably trying to get their party back.

No doubt they know they misjudged Trumpsters. Like everyone else, they thought Trumpsters were actual conservatives and that this would never happen.

Now they know. I don't know how they get the party back, though.

Who are you quoting and what are you referencing.

What is your definition of a Trumpster and how does it apply to the OP ?

'The former George W Bush speechwriter thinks 21st-century conservatism has ‘delivered much more harm than good’'

"Some fellows get credit for being conservative when they are only stupid." Kin Hubbard

Somehow these boards spawn ADD.

This was to be a discussion about Will's book or the interview.

Not a soapbox for unsolicited feelings.

These guys were mauled by Trumpism, and they're understandably trying to get their party back.

No doubt they know they misjudged Trumpsters. Like everyone else, they thought Trumpsters were actual conservatives and that this would never happen.

Now they know. I don't know how they get the party back, though.

Who are you quoting and what are you referencing.

What is your definition of a Trumpster and how does it apply to the OP ?
I didn't quote anyone.

I was referencing the two people in the interview.

It applies to the OP for obvious reasons.

Forum List

Back