Generosity

I think the guy claiming to have cancer may have been full of shit. Don't know for sure.

If someone "on the street" asks if I can spare a few bucks, I usually do if I have it. Sometimes I have helped people truly in need this way. Other times I probably was scammed by either someone that didn't need the money or the money went to alcohol and or drugs.

^^^ I second this. Considering all that is happening because of the pandemic, just about every business on the globe is in bad need of employees.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

If someone "on the street" asks if I can spare a few bucks, I usually do if I have it. Sometimes I have helped people truly in need this way. Other times I probably was scammed by either someone that didn't need the money or the money went to alcohol and or drugs.
If some guy hanging out on the street by a carryout needs a beer and asks for money I'll buy them a 40 oz. That's how I met a loyal employee who has been working for me since 2006.

Him and his dog were just hanging out by a carryout/truckstop I stopped by after work to fuel up and grab a six pack on my way home from a jobsite and he asked if I could spare some change so he could get a 40. He kinda looked like he was going through alcohol withdrawal because his hands were trembling so I bought him a 40. I had actually been hospitalized because of alcohol withdrawal about a decade earlier, so I could empathize with the guy. I know what it feels like. A severe case of alcohol withdrawal can actually kill you.

After I bought him a 40oz he mentioned that he had some weed, so we got in my truck toked it up. We got talking and he said he hit hard times. Apparently he got busted for cheating on his fiancée with a stripper at his bachelor party, so she dumped him and kicked him out of her house. And since he worked as a security guard at his girlfriend's mother's business, he also lost his job. He had been living in his car with his German Shepherd for the last few weeks.

After I got home I started thinking. I felt sorry for that dog. My German Shepherd had recently passed away and I still had a lot of dog food left over. So I figured that the next day after work I would see if they were at that truck stop again and give them that dog food.

I also had recently had a few incidents where someone had cut through the fence surrounding the lot behind my shop where I keep my heavy trucks and construction equipment. I needed a security guard there at night. And I also had an old 55 foot long office & crew trailer that I didn't use anymore where they could live.

So the next day I went looking for that kid at that truck stop and hired him as a security guard.

Last edited:
Meh....I give enough money to charities.
Although there is a guy who lives under an overpass on my way to work that I used to help before I retired because he had a dog with him.
I usually give him a case of dog food and twenty bucks.
He's been there for around 15 years.

Forum List

Back