Free Country News: Feds raid Texas secessionist meeting

Feds Raid Texas Political Meeting Fingerprint And Photograph All Attendees Seize Phones - informationliberation

BRYAN, TX — Federal and local police forces raided a political meeting, taking unusual measures to document every attendee by taking fingerprints and photographs, and seizing every cell phone and all recording equipment in the meeting hall.

The raid took place on February 14, 2015, at VFW Post 4892 in Bryan, Texas. At 10:10 a.m., an “army of policing agencies with flashing emergency lights” showed up, shut down the meeting of “congenial and unimposing” Texans and forced them to hand over their private effects and biometric data.

Why does the title say "Feds...." when these authorities were in the raid:

"Minutes into the meeting a man among the onlookers stood and moved to open the hall door, letting in an armed and armored force of the Bryan Police Department, the Brazos County Sheriff’s Office, the Kerr County Sheriff’s Office, Agents of the Texas District Attorney, the Texas Rangers and the FBI."

These blogs really do count on people not reading past the headlines. They really do.

I would consider that a lot of the rest of the article is misleading, too.

Feds Raid Texas Political Meeting Fingerprint And Photograph All Attendees Seize Phones - informationliberation

BRYAN, TX — Federal and local police forces raided a political meeting, taking unusual measures to document every attendee by taking fingerprints and photographs, and seizing every cell phone and all recording equipment in the meeting hall.

The raid took place on February 14, 2015, at VFW Post 4892 in Bryan, Texas. At 10:10 a.m., an “army of policing agencies with flashing emergency lights” showed up, shut down the meeting of “congenial and unimposing” Texans and forced them to hand over their private effects and biometric data.

You do realize that what you say is impossible, right? This is Texas. God fearing, heat packing, conservative men. They would have killed the cops on self defense, or died trying.

"The pretext of the raid was that two individuals from the group had reportedly sent out “simulated court documents” — summonses for a judge and a banker to appear before the Republic of Texas to discuss the matter of a foreclosure.

These “simulated documents” were rejected and the authorities decided to react with a “show of force” — twenty officers and an extremely broad search warrant."

Ah, do be careful when attempting to overthrow the government, it tends to overthrow you, off the nearest bridge. And be careful who you associate with, they may be the wrong kinds since fringe movements like this are full of nutters.
There are dangerous fringe groups out there, this does not appear to be one of them and it does present the image of overkill on the part of Law Enforcement.
Given that I'd like to get more from the side of the raiders and why they determined this style, level of raid was necessary, there could be other unreported aspects here that justifies what Law Enforcement did. :dunno:
By law if someone is not advocating the use of force or violence to overthrow the Federal government, any local, county or state government he/she/they are withing their rights as protected by the First Amendment however if they are participating in other actions that are illegal then it's a whole nother story.
No one was arrested so this has all the appearances of an intimidation tactic which would constitute a violation of their Civil Rights. Personally I believe (I have a law enforcement background) those who ordered and orchestrated the raid have some explaining to do.
The benefit of the doubt, rightly or wrongly, tends to go to law enforcement here. You guys just don't like it when the shoe is on the other foot. Had this been the Communists you'd be mad because they all weren't still in jail...

Nope. I don't have a problem with communists having a meeting. They aren't even accused of committing a crime, so why were they arrested?
No one was arrested. Read the story.

Then they had no legal authority to seize their property, fingerprint or photograph them. They definitely had no authority to search their vehicles.

Using force to prevent secession is like an abusive boyfriend who ties up his girlfriend who decides to leave him.
Not really, but nice try. There's a lot more to it legally and the argument still rages as whether or not any state or group of states have the constitutional authority to separate from the Union.

"The pretext of the raid was that two individuals from the group had reportedly sent out “simulated court documents” — summonses for a judge and a banker to appear before the Republic of Texas to discuss the matter of a foreclosure.

These “simulated documents” were rejected and the authorities decided to react with a “show of force” — twenty officers and an extremely broad search warrant."

Ah, do be careful when attempting to overthrow the government, it tends to overthrow you, off the nearest bridge. And be careful who you associate with, they may be the wrong kinds since fringe movements like this are full of nutters.
There are dangerous fringe groups out there, this does not appear to be one of them and it does present the image of overkill on the part of Law Enforcement.
Given that I'd like to get more from the side of the raiders and why they determined this style, level of raid was necessary, there could be other unreported aspects here that justifies what Law Enforcement did. :dunno:
By law if someone is not advocating the use of force or violence to overthrow the Federal government, any local, county or state government he/she/they are withing their rights as protected by the First Amendment however if they are participating in other actions that are illegal then it's a whole nother story.
No one was arrested so this has all the appearances of an intimidation tactic which would constitute a violation of their Civil Rights. Personally I believe (I have a law enforcement background) those who ordered and orchestrated the raid have some explaining to do.
The benefit of the doubt, rightly or wrongly, tends to go to law enforcement here. You guys just don't like it when the shoe is on the other foot. Had this been the Communists you'd be mad because they all weren't still in jail...

Nope. I don't have a problem with communists having a meeting. They aren't even accused of committing a crime, so why were they arrested?

Then they had no legal authority to seize their property, fingerprint or photograph them. They definitely had no authority to search their vehicles.
Then they can sue. I'm not opposed if they believe their rights were violated. Here is some good advice.

Read it and know it: https://www.aclu.org/national-security/know-your-rights-when-encountering-law-enforcement

https://www.aclu.org/files/kyr/kyr_english_2.pdf

And remember, never, ever, under any circumstances, talk to the police. It can only do you harm and they are not required to help defend you, only to help convict you.

Last edited:

You do realize that what you say is impossible, right? This is Texas. God fearing, heat packing, conservative men. They would have killed the cops on self defense, or died trying.

Good point. I lived in Texas for 15 years. I can't imagine these guys being passive, finger-printed, etc. without going to Austin and enlisting Greg Abbott for assistance.

Patriots and freedom lovers are the biggest threat to totalitarian dictators such as Obama. This is very disturbing but not at all surprising.

Do you even hear yourself? Are you seriously this stupid. This is a group of people who believe that the United States is an illegitimate occupying force and pay their loyalty to a defunct country from nearly two centuries ago. And you call them patriots?

I think the story could be false, written with the intention to stir up people who are all too ready to believe whatever they see on the internet. The bar for posting blogs and fake videos is very, very, very, very low as in, there is none.

I think the story could be false, written with the intention to stir up people who are all too ready to believe whatever they see on the internet. The bar for posting blogs and fake videos is very, very, very, very low as in, there is none.

The Huston Chronicle:

Feds raid Texas secessionist meeting - Houston Chronicle

Anyone can discuss secession.

But if two who are associated with a group have sent fictitious summons out to legal office holders, the LEO have the right to identify anyone found at such a meeting.

No private association under law exists to protect the identify of possible conspirators.

Patriots and freedom lovers are the biggest threat to totalitarian dictators such as Obama. This is very disturbing but not at all surprising.

Do you even hear yourself? Are you seriously this stupid. This is a group of people who believe that the United States is an illegitimate occupying force and pay their loyalty to a defunct country from nearly two centuries ago. And you call them patriots?

The Tea Baggers go a step further and wear 3-pointed hats and long colonial tail coats....and sometimes carry muskets. Some are a little on the swishy side and wear shirts with ruffly collars. This group is rather bland in comparison. But if they want to call themselves patriots, WTF cares?

This is a group that sees the United States as an illegitimate government over Texas, and that they are the rightful government exercising sovereignty over the land. The meeting raided was what they call their Congress.

If that is the case they had a right to talk to those two. You can't take fingerprints and individual photos unless it is subsequent to arrest, that includes taking their property. Searching their vehicles would require a warrant for each vehicle because they we not in their vehicle at the time of contact. I see major violations of not only state law but of the fourth amendment also.
Yes, everyone at such a meeting can be fingerprinted and photographed at the discretion of the LEO.

Huh... And it begins.

NICE!

The Huston Chronicle:

Feds raid Texas secessionist meeting - Houston Chronicle

Like I said, I thought there was something being left out of the blog.

So they broke the law and they got raided. It has nothing to do with the substance of their meeting. It has to do with creating a fake summons:

" Hierholzer said the seized devices will be downloaded and reviewed to determine if others conspired in the creation and issuance of false court documents."""

This is a group that sees the United States as an illegitimate government over Texas, and that they are the rightful government exercising sovereignty over the land. The meeting raided was what they call their Congress.
I can claim my property is a country unto itself and claim it's so because I have never sworn allegiance to the United States (I have) or the locality, county and state it resides in. Doesn't make my claim legal.

The Current US Federal Government IS Illegitimate and their raid on that meeting demonstrates that illegitimacy: PERFECTLY.

Legitimate: conforming to the law or to rules.

"THE RULES"

Rule #1

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

See how that works?

Forum List

Back