Francis Keys bridge hit by ship. Bridge collapses, mass casualty event.

I was always taught to never approach a dock faster than I wanted to hit it. It's hard to go wrong following a rule like that. I've seen too many powerboaters fly up to a dock, then try and fail to reverse enough to stop and break either boat or the dock.
None of that applies to this incident/accident.

by now you should have noticed, this is not about the bridge collapse, it's about "the freedom to be inquisitive, to investigate and ask questions"
Something not allowed in Marxist Regimes, and not afforded Trump when he inquired about about Voting in certain suspicious states, even investigations were not permitted and were denied of his and our rights, and my reply to Votto stands, the conspiracy is created by them denying basic human rights that they themselves argue for when wanting investigation of bogus charges and hoaxes.
🤷

Fucking imbecile, NO ONE is saying, don't investigate. What is being said is stop making up bullshit conspiracy theories.

DCA, granted further south than BWI location, but also right on the Potomac with susceptibility to higher wind values during easterly component fetches reported 7mph averaged sustained between 1-2 am
Simply light to very light breezes during that early morning hour

You’re clueless. You know nothing.

A rudder is very small in relationship to the size the boat or ship. In order for it to steer the vessel it needs water to be forced past it. That means it needs a prop wash.

My boat is 40 foot boat and I have no steering or maneuverability when the engines are not running and transmissions engaged. The principle is the same on a 900 foot ship or an aircraft carrier.

You don’t know what you’re talking about and you don’t know that you don’t know.
So when your engines are in neutral and you are coasting at five knots, you have no steering? The only boats that I know of that have that problems are jet boats like ski boats or the old PBRs from Vietnam which used Jacuzzi water jets for propulsion and had no rudders at all. Under your misapprehension, sailboats wouldn't be able to steer because many have no engines at all and the ones that do never run their engines under sail. It sounds to me like YOU don't know what you are talking about. You seem to be what ragbaggers (sailors) like me call stinkpotters (powerboaters) like you. We have to know how to handle a boat, stinkpotters just know how to push the throttles and steer.

There was no effective helm as the engines were dead. No engine power = no ability to steer. This is basic stuff. You’re as dumb as dirt.
You didn't understand and that's probably because you don't want to understand. The ship could steer it's way to China without engine power if wind and current conditions were right.

Don't be petulantly trying to fk with what I say. I'm the only one in this discussion who knows what I'm talking about.
That's a challenge!

DCA, granted further south than BWI location, but also right on the Potomac with susceptibility to higher wind values during easterly component fetches reported 7mph averaged sustained between 1-2 am
Simply light to very light breezes during that early morning hour
Gale force winds have occurred in that harbour.

So when your engines are in neutral and you are coasting at five knots, you have no steering? The only boats that I know of that have that problems are jet boats like ski boats or the old PBRs from Vietnam which used Jacuzzi water jets for propulsion and had no rudders at all. Under your misapprehension, sailboats wouldn't be able to steer because many have no engines at all and the ones that do never run their engines under sail. It sounds to me like YOU don't know what you are talking about. You seem to be what ragbaggers (sailors) like me call stinkpotters (powerboaters) like you. We have to know how to handle a boat, stinkpotters just know how to push the throttles and steer.
When a ship has no engine power and is dead in the water, there is no effective steering ability. This is a condition called “not under command.”

When a captain calls in a mayday and says “I have no command of my ship,” That means they are helplessly adrift with no ability to steer or maneuver in any way.

by now you should have noticed, this is not about the bridge collapse, it's about "the freedom to be inquisitive, to investigate and ask questions"
Something not allowed in Marxist Regimes, and not afforded Trump when he inquired about about Voting in certain suspicious states, even investigations were not permitted and were denied of his and our rights, and my reply to Faun stands, the conspiracy is created by them denying basic human rights that they themselves argue for when wanting investigation of bogus charges and hoaxes.
🤷
By the way Michael I heard that two minutes of sensor data is missing in the black box data on the ship plus the captain name is not being released… I for one am not into conspiracy theories but like you prefer to make sure the facts support what is being reported in a story…. Like you I am suspicious offa to that do not add up People like Faun swallow stories hook line and sinker that is why they can be eadily fooled and are quiliable and can be controlled by lies… Until all the facts come out we are obliged to question everything until the whole truth can be known so you are right to question …

A sailboat has a tiller. A tiller extends deeper into the water well below the bottom of the boat. Plus they are much wider the rudder of a power boat.

With no power the helm couldn't be shifted.
Well duhhhhhhh captain crunch!
Ship rudders are moved by hydraulic rams on modern ships, not ropes tied to the tiller like the old sailing ships.
And again!

If rudder had been applied when power went down the ship would have responded to its rudder.

(unless the hydraulics program didn't call for neutral rudder.)

Every time you say something stupid I'm going to keel haul your ass!

You didn't understand and that's probably because you don't want to understand. The ship could steer it's way to China without engine power if wind and current conditions were right…..
Only if that’s the way the currents moved them. They could not steer their way there. They would be helplessly adrift you idiot.

By the way Michael I heard that two minutes of sensor data is missing in the black box data on the ship plus the captain name is not being released… I for one am not into conspiracy theories but like you prefer to make sure the facts support what is being reported in a story…. Like you I am suspicious offa to that do not add up People like Faun swallow stories hook line and sinker that is why they can be eadily fooled and are quiliable and can be controlled by lies… Until all the facts come out we are obliged to question everything until the whole truth can be known so you are right to question …
Forget your conspiracy theories against the captain. There were two American pilots there issuing orders.
Not to suggest that the pilots weren't both Chinese spies! LOL

It doesn’t matter where the smoke came from. Even if it was from restarting the engines. It was too late to avoid the collision.

A ship dead in the water with no engine power will not have any steering power through manipulating its rudders.
The key to that sentence is DEAD IN THE WATER. The Dali was not dead in the water until after she hit the bridge.
The military could have a floating bridge for large vehicle traffic in a few months.
Military floating bridges are limited in capacity. Typically, only one heavy vehicle is allowed on them at a time. Plus a floating bridge would totally block the harbor.

The key to that sentence is DEAD IN THE WATER. The Dali was not dead in the water until after she hit the bridge.
Bingo! I'm getting the feeling that you know something too! At 8 knots the ship would have plenty of steerage if the rudder was operational.

When a ship has no engine power and is dead in the water, there is no effective steering ability. This is a condition called “not under command.”

When a captain calls in a mayday and says “I have no command of my ship,” That means they are helplessly adrift with no ability to steer or maneuver in any way.
It wasn't dead in the water. It was still doing 8 knots. That's enough speed for the rudder to have influence. With no power they couldn't change the rudder's position.

Only if that’s the way the currents moved them. They could not steer their way there. They would be helplessly adrift you idiot.
No, wrong yet again. A ship could do it on a broad reach. Go ask your dad. I'm finished with you if you can't stop being petulant and contrary.

It wasn't dead in the water. It was still doing 8 knots. That's enough speed for the rudder to have influence. With no power they couldn't change the rudder's position.
You get it! Now don't go and spoil it for yourself!

Something not allowed in Marxist Regimes, and not afforded Trump when he inquired about about Voting in certain suspicious states, even investigations were not permitted and were denied of his and our rights, and my reply to Faun stands, the conspiracy is created by them denying basic human rights that they themselves argue for when wanting investigation of bogus charges and hoaxes.
🤷
You're in the wrong thread. Have a nice day!

Forum List

Back