Francis Keys bridge hit by ship. Bridge collapses, mass casualty event.

I do not believe anyone conspired but I do believe identification of how these varieties of mishaps did occur and why is necessary and silence is no one’s aid right now
Part if the newer problem in the USA is withholding of facts to accommodate endless investigation
The crew has undoubtedly been fully interviewed.The idea that a “higher necessity” prevents details I disagree with
the claim of accident happened before the interviews, even assuming they interviewed and checked off all avenues is wrong in making definitive conclusions.
Also, no report is listed about the legality of transport of dangerous chemicals (something like 51 chemicals if true) on the waterway in that manner. Pete Buttigiege once again failed safety protocols, as I suggested such be in safety bladders to assure better safety in accidents from leaks, has he instituted such guidelines for truck Train plane and Shipping transport of hazardous materials?

"Rebuilding the Baltimore Bridge could take up to 10 years."

Post-industrial capitalism is when industrialism has already been abandoned and robots are still not showing up. And everything is at the mercy of the banksters
The military could have a floating bridge for large vehicle traffic in a few months.

I vote for different rules for single large ships passing in the dark of night. Waddya bet all sorts of changes will result from this event? ;) Every argument (except mine) so far supports maintaining the status quo (and of course that would be insane). :omg:
I have no idea if the rules will change or not. This was a freak accident that noone imagined would ever happen. Rules don't typically change because of one occurence.

This incident/accident won't result in any changes to navigation in harbours. Why would it when the pilots strictly adhered to protocol?

The reason why the course made good was a dead straight line is because the ship had sufficient way on to do so with a neutral rudder.
The animations have the ship's course very close to the bridge support.

Could reverse engines or propellers (as an order to be given), otherwise knowing that the ship was moving forward toward the bridge instead of away from it, and it be part of the protocol that should have taken place immediately ??????

All engine's reverse, all engine's reverse, otherwise once powered was immediately restored, and black smoke started billowing from the stack ? Should this be expected to be heard on the voice recorders ??
Not if the engineer did it without commands. I would think it would be a normal thing to do with an aux power loss in a confined area to reduce the damage WHEN the ship hit something.

I don t know the wind direction between 1-1:30 am . I do know that it would have to be from ene to ese to push ship to the right.
Checked further from BWI close by and early morning breezes were quite light at 5-10moh and were from the east. Harbor not same as open Bay where winds almost always 5-10moh higher. Harbor probably 7-12mph at time of impact

I think not- if the info we've seen is correct this ship is a direct drive system with no reverse gear. Dropping the anchor was the right call, it just wasn't effective so close to the bridge.

Re-establishing propulsion was dependent on re-establishing power from the auxiliaries.
Dropping the port anchor was ONE correct action, it didn't prevent others from being taken.

I have no idea if the rules will change or not. This was a freak accident that noone imagined would ever happen. Rules don't typically change because of one occurence.
I'll bet the farm that substantial changes will be made, at least in this harbor.

the claim of accident happened before the interviews, even assuming they interviewed and checked off all avenues is wrong in making definitive conclusions.
Also, no report is listed about the legality of transport of dangerous chemicals (something like 51 chemicals if true) on the waterway in that manner. Pete Buttigiege once again failed safety protocols, as I suggested such be in safety bladders to assure better safety in accidents from leaks, has he instituted such guidelines for truck Train plane and Shipping transport of hazardous materials?
"dangerous chemicals" - False information. The hazmats are isolated to 56 containers and are known to be perfume and soap. That has been made public information by NTSB.

Yes, this was an accident. To ignore the facts that local, state, and federal officials have made public is just pure ignorance. If it were anything but, I assure you every port in the USA would have been locked down.

Yeah, the ship's rudder.
Or wind, or current or tide. I've heard of sailing races in San Francisco where boats anchored inside or outside the Golden Gate because the tidal flow was greater than the speed through water their sails could generate. Personally, I've been in races where the knot meter said I was doing three knots and the GPS said I was actually going backwards over ground due to current flow. That's why in racing we paid more attention to the speed over ground reading than the knot meter which was run by a paddlewheel under the hull.

Winds pretty much can be ruled out
The 26th was Tied for 2nd calmest 24 hour period of the month with a peak sustained of 14moh and an average if 6.7 at BWI, mostly under 10 mph Can add 2-3mph for Harbor
The dominant direction was ese and peak winds for a 24 hour period 12:01am to 11:59pn Rarely occur at 1:15 in the AM

Current was minimal, but not in the ship's favor. This was all about the momentum of a 150,000 ton ship at 7 kts, losing steerage less than a 1/2 mile from the bridge.

In the old days, tugs used to be powered by Atlas Imperials. They were also direct drive- to put it in reverse you shut down the motor and started it up in reverse.

The rule when coming into the dock was if the engine didn't re-start, you aimed for another company boat. If there was no company boat to crash into, you aimed for the cheapest boat at the dock. :p
I was always taught to never approach a dock faster than I wanted to hit it. It's hard to go wrong following a rule like that. I've seen too many powerboaters fly up to a dock, then try and fail to reverse enough to stop and break either boat or the dock.

Winds pretty much can be ruled out
The 26th was Tied for 2nd calmest 24 hour period of the month with a peak sustained of 14moh and an average if 6.7 at BWI, mostly under 10 mph Can add 2-3mph for Harbor
The dominant direction was ese and peak winds for a 24 hour period 12:01am to 11:59pn Rarely occur at 1:15 in the AM
In near coastal waters, the wind almost always dies off during the middle of the night because there is little temperature differential between the land and sea to generate any wind.

No, wrong again!
geeezuz fkn kriste, shut the fk up!

The ship had about 8 knows of way and could have altered course if it had the helm applied.
There was no effective helm as the engines were dead. No engine power = no ability to steer. This is basic stuff. You’re as dumb as dirt.

No, wrong again!
geeezuz fkn kriste, shut the fk up!

The ship had about 8 knows of way and could have altered course if it had the helm applied.
With no power the helm couldn't be shifted. Ship rudders are moved by hydraulic rams on modern ships, not ropes tied to the tiller like the old sailing ships.

Forum List

Back