Former Dutch Prime Minister Dries van Agt, 93, euthanized 'hand in hand' with wife

Robert W

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2022
I guess it had to happen. And the Netherlands apparently is the right place for both a husband plus his wife to die at the same time. Will the USA also adopt Euthanasia as a final way to treat poor health?

Dries van Agt, the Christian Democrat prime minister of the Netherlands from 1977 until 1982, has died by euthanasia, "hand in hand" together with his wife, according to the human rights organization he founded. They both were 93.

The news was made public on Friday by The Rights Forum, which said the couple died Monday and and would be buried in a private ceremony in the eastern city of Nijmegen.

"He died hand in hand with his beloved wife Eugenie van Agt-Krekelberg, the support and anchor with whom he was together for more than 70 years and whom he always continued to refer to as ‘my girl,’" the non-profit organization said in a statement.

I guess it had to happen. And the Netherlands apparently is the right place for both a husband plus his wife to die at the same time. Will the USA also adopt Euthanasia as a final way to treat poor health?

Dries van Agt, the Christian Democrat prime minister of the Netherlands from 1977 until 1982, has died by euthanasia, "hand in hand" together with his wife, according to the human rights organization he founded. They both were 93.

The news was made public on Friday by The Rights Forum, which said the couple died Monday and and would be buried in a private ceremony in the eastern city of Nijmegen.

"He died hand in hand with his beloved wife Eugenie van Agt-Krekelberg, the support and anchor with whom he was together for more than 70 years and whom he always continued to refer to as ‘my girl,’" the non-profit organization said in a statement.

Wow, both 93 years old and married for 66 years, raising 3 kids, a list is accolades, accomplishments, government service, national leader, statesman, ambassador, educator, and they chose to go together. Impressive.

The Dutch have always been progressive.

Some day, Americans who are hopelessly ill may also have the right to be assisted in passing away. I think it is now allowed in a few states.

(I remember reading that gay men in England used to take "vacations" in Holland because gay men in England (and here in America) were treated like criminals, with cops spending their time trying to entrap them. In Holland, they were treated humanely.)

Wow, both 93 years old and married for 66 years, raising 3 kids, a list is accolades, accomplishments, government service, national leader, statesman, ambassador, educator, and they chose to go together. Impressive.
I wonder which of the two was in the worst health?

The Dutch have always been progressive.

Some day, Americans who are hopelessly ill may also have the right to be assisted in passing away. I think it is now allowed in a few states.

(I remember reading that gay men in England used to take "vacations" in Holland because gay men in England (and here in America) were treated like criminals, with cops spending their time trying to entrap them. In Holland, they were treated humanely.)
They were not avowed homosexuals. When I was in Holland, yes in 1963, it was then very permissive. They have a famous street where prostitutes sit in what looks like store windows selling themselves. It has been a long time ago I walked down the street checking on the women. I did not enter any of their places. I think the street name is Canal Street.

They were not avowed homosexuals. They have a famous street where prostitutes sit in what looks like store windows selling themselves.
(1) I do not understand the meaning of your first sentence.

(2) Yes, I have just read that Amsterdam is planning to move those windows with sex workers to a different part of town.

a. This is 2024. It seems that the current area with those windows has become quite rowdy. I guess that in the old days (AKA the 1960s), the clients were more discreet.

Have a nice day!

Forum List

Back