For Veterans Day- our favorite War films

Syriusly

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2014
To me a great war movie is more than just action- it should help make you feel like you know more of what it was like at that moment and better understand what they were facing.

Just a few on my list-
The Big Red One- this is a very thoughtful portrayal of how soldiers cope with being in war
Saving Private Ryan- the landing scene. Everything else- but the landing scene.
Dunkirk- everything about this film- and needed to be seen in a theater
Fury- I have a fondness for tanks. A real Tiger.
Kelly's Heroes. A war film. A con. A heist. Eastwood.

"When Trumpets Fade"

A little known but very good war movie about the Battle of the Hurtgen Forest in 1944 during WWll.

Here is the entire movie. For some reason it is starting a few minutes into the movie, so be sure to back it up to the very beginning as it's central to the story. ... :cool:

Last edited:
Everything about that movie besides the landing scene is pure crap...Some of the worst technical direction of any modern war flick.

Fury- I have a fondness for tanks. A real Tiger
You apparently have a fondness for entirely implausible plot lines, portrayed by plastic two-dimensional characters.

91b6rGZjrbL._RI_.jpg

~S~

The most realistic thing about the movie Platoon, besides the final battle scene, was how the soldiers were divided into the pot heads and the booze hounds during their off time.

And no, I'm not going to fess up as to which group I hung around. ... :eusa_angel:

U.S. Army 1970-71

1) Lawrence of Arabia...Not just a great war move, but -IMO- the best movie ever made.

2) Galipoli...Maybe the most underrated war movie of all.

3) Hacksaw Ridge...Super gory, but a story about a great American hero that needed to be told.

4) Apocalypse Now...Never miss an opportunity to watch it.

5) Catch 22...Had to watch it twice to get it, but worth the time.

6) 12 O'clock High...Just a great flick.

7) Band of Brothers series...Maybe the most worthy Veterans Day binge watch available.

8) The Dirty Dozen...Doesn't ever seem to get old.

9) Kelly's Heroes....Though a completely implausible plot line, one of the greatest cast of characters ever.

The most realistic thing about the movie Platoon, besides the final battle scene, was how the soldiers were divided into the pot heads and the booze hounds during their off time.

And no, I'm not going to fess up as to which group I hung around. ... :eusa_angel:

U.S. Army 1970-71
Thank you for your service, that was a horrible war in every aspect.

Basic training at the beginning of "Full Metal Jacket" was very realistic and exactly how it was back then. (except for the soldier committing suicide in the latrine)

The rest of the movie devolved into the typical Hollywood storyline. .. :cool:

Last edited:

This is not an war movie. But I like it because this woman that is in the movie was going through basic training to be an Intelligence officer, that she wasn't aware of.

Everything about that movie besides the landing scene is pure crap...Some of the worst technical direction of any modern war flick.

Fury- I have a fondness for tanks. A real Tiger
You apparently have a fondness for entirely implausible plot lines, portrayed by plastic two-dimensional characters.

You apparently have a fondness for trolling.

1) Lawrence of Arabia...Not just a great war move, but -IMO- the best movie ever made.

2) Galipoli...Maybe the most underrated war movie of all.

3) Hacksaw Ridge...Super gory, but a story about a great American hero that needed to be told.

4) Apocalypse Now...Never miss an opportunity to watch it.

5) Catch 22...Had to watch it twice to get it, but worth the time.

6) 12 O'clock High...Just a great flick.

7) Band of Brothers series...Maybe the most worthy Veterans Day binge watch available.

8) The Dirty Dozen...Doesn't ever seem to get old.

9) Kelly's Heroes....Though a completely implausible plot line, one of the greatest cast of characters ever.

Decent list. I like all of them

Odd you have a real problem with Fury but not with Dirty Dozen or Kelly's Heroes

The Tigers faves....

Best years of our lives
Shindlers list
Saving private ryan
The Pianist
Platoon
From here to eternity
Your in the Army now (Abbott and Constello)
and my all time fave is Officer and a Gentlemen...reminds me of my Navy yrs

Oh and I love war documentaries, such as WWII in color

Forum List

Back