For every 10% of American cars/trucks becoming EVs, means 3,460 power plants have to be built.

Questions for you.
EVangelistas like you want as Biden guaranteed
"I want you to look into my eyes, I guarantee We Are Going To Get Rid of Fossil Fuels”...as your solution to global warming. OK.

So my question for you : are you willing to pay 100% or more for tires for your EV? Have you considered that cost when
agreeing with Biden to "rid fossil fuels"?

According to the Rubber Manufacturers Association, it takes “approximately seven gallons” of oil to produce a single tire.
Over the last three years tire prices have increased an average of 70%. In other words a tire that was $100 at the beginning of 2009 is probably listed around $170 today. That translates to approximately 5 billion gallons of crude oil (note: at today's price of $2 the total cost to tire makers over $10 billion a year) utilized to make tires each year.
A 42 gallon barrel of oil cost October 18, 2022 is $84.38 per barrel. or $2 per gallon.

Or how about the FACT that your taxes used to construct asphalt roads will skyrocket
because when Biden rids fossil fuels, what will replace oil that in making asphalt, 1.312 billion barrels a year in oil is used?

I am on your side of this issue

Hertz rental proudly announces they are going to buy 175,000 EVs to rent.

So what happens to power generating plants to meet the power needs of both Hertz and say 10% of current cars/trucks are converted to EVs?
It is very simple. 10% of current cars/trucks being EVs each using at .346 kWh per mile traveled.
Calculations:
A) Cars..
The average commuter drives 29 miles/day for 5 days for 50 weeks. 146 million Americans do that per below.
https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/average-miles-driven-per-year/
  1. That is 7,540 miles/year per driver times 146 million commuters or 110,120,192,000 per year (again just 5 days a week)
  2. that would be 38,101,586,432 kWh for just 10% of EV cars driven in one year
B) Trucks...
  1. There are 37,900,000 trucks that according to Economics and Industry Data drive 78,000 miles per year.
  2. Assuming 10% of these trucks become EVs and the mileage per mile is .346 kWh/mile or 2,956,200,000,000 kWh.
C) Total of an additional 2,994,301,586,432 kWh for 10% of American cars/trucks at .346 kWh/mile.

D) If 11,070 total power plants in usa right now generate 4,165,030,000,000 kWh or 493,842,118 kWh

E) how many more plants to generate 2,994,301,586,432 kWh for 10% of American cars/trucks at .346 kWh/mile.

F) an additional 2,994,301,586,432 kWh for 10% of EV cars/trucks divided by 493,842,118 kWh/power plant
will be 3,460 more power plants.

In summary, if just 10% of cars/trucks become EVs will require 3,460 more power plants at a cost per power plant (after 10 years of planning and building) a $2 billion power plant or $6,919,974,587,797 (https://schlissel-technical.com/docs/reports_35.pdf

And that's just 10% of cars/trucks becoming EVs requiring the addition of 3,460 power plants !
The cost of electricity will skyrocket because of this, and the Poor, Working Class, and Middle Class will become Slaves to The State.

That is what EVs are really about.

Control.

It's what The Cult of The Holy Melting Iceberg is about.

"The Planet has a Fever and People are The Virus"
Al Gore.

The Government will be able to limit the distance you can travel in a day, and also track you at the same time, and if they don't like something you say, or do, the powers that be can remotely immobilize your vehicle. Add to that what they want to do with a cashless society and you will be completely at the mercy of The Cancel Culture or as I like to call them The 4th DemNazi Fascist Globalist Reich!

Not end of world of course, only the god and baby jesus could do that!
Libs need to remind themselves often that climate change is not the end of the world

There is no need for you to freak out and do crazy things such as attacking the oil industry

Sure, when the next electric car rolls onto a neighborhood block already filled with electric cars or a transit agency plans to roll out half dozen electric buses at the depot, the local utility may need to upgrade a local transformer or add extra distribution wires. But do not doubt this: there is currently enough power generation and transmission currently to serve the increase in charging load from EV purchases in the next few years, particularly if they are charged at times when other demands for power are less (such as overnight) or at times of high renewable energy generation.

I’ll say it again because the fossil fuel disinformation machine wants you to believe otherwise: there is enough power generation and transmission on our current electric grid to charge all the electric vehicles being purchased over the next few years.
AND I'll repeat it again... That was a "blogger"... Samantha Houston
She is a senior vehicles analyst for the Clean Transportation program at the Union of Concerned Scientists. In her role, she works to promote public policy and private investments for infrastructure supporting widespread electric vehicle integration. She also provides analysis on modernizing electric grids for better clean energy integration, and supports UCS work on fuel economy standards. Prior to joining UCS, Ms. Houston was an independent consultant, working on vehicle emissions standards and global climate policy modeling. She has also worked on transportation policies and carbon asset risks for fossil fuel companies with Ceres, and on building efficiency and behavioral engagement for the Harvard University Office for Sustainability. Ms. Houston earned a BA in environmental science and public policy from Harvard University, and an MS in technology and policy from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
This blogger... gave a very big CAVEAT that you totally ignored because you don't comprehend the old phrase from Nietzsche who said..."Der Teufel stecktim Detail.”
She wrote: Will the grid be able to handle all of the electric vehicles we will have in the future?
Yes, if we prepare well.
Prepare well means creating 13,722,646,751,455 additional kWh...

By building
Either
4,574 power plants in addition to the current 11,070 at a cost of $32.019 Trillion to build
either 400,619,860,055 solar panels at a cost of $80.1 Trillion to build
either 21,219,071 wind turbines at a cost of $63.6 Trillion....

And that's "if we prepare well"!!!

She is a senior vehicles analyst for the Clean Transportation program at the Union of Concerned Scientists. In her role, she works to promote public policy and private investments for infrastructure supporting widespread electric vehicle integration. She also provides analysis on modernizing electric grids for better clean energy integration, and supports UCS work on fuel economy standards. Prior to joining UCS, Ms. Houston was an independent consultant, working on vehicle emissions standards and global climate policy modeling. She has also worked on transportation policies and carbon asset risks for fossil fuel companies with Ceres, and on building efficiency and behavioral engagement for the Harvard University Office for Sustainability. Ms. Houston earned a BA in environmental science and public policy from Harvard University, and an MS in technology and policy from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
This blogger... gave a very big CAVEAT that you totally ignored because you don't comprehend the old phrase from Nietzsche who said..."Der Teufel stecktim Detail.”
She wrote: Will the grid be able to handle all of the electric vehicles we will have in the future?
Yes, if we prepare well.

By building
Either
4,574 power plants in addition to the current 11,070 at a cost of $32.019 Trillion to build

Why must government spend hundreds of billions on EV charging stations that are not needed?

Yes, if we prepare well.

By building
Either

I thought EVs were supposed to help the world use less energy not 3,000 percent more?
Anyone who buys an EV is an idiot. Hope their batteries die in the middle of a blizzard.

Why must government spend hundreds of billions on EV charging stations that are not needed?
To help restrict your freedom of movement of course and how many miles you can travel in a day all the while tracking where you are 24-7, and tying you to The Electric Grid forever while they raise Electric Prices through the roof and Gouge every last cent you have from you, making you an indentured slave forever.

For your own good, of course.

If you think that is bad, wait until you see what The Cancel Culture does with a digital cashless society.

I really don't understand why you EV proponents don't do just a little math.
An EV uses .346 kWh to travel one mile...
FACT: There are 146,048,000 Americans that drive at least 29 miles/day/5 days a week 52 weeks.
FACT: https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/average-miles-driven-per-year/
There are 37,900,000 trucks that average 84,433 miles per year.
FACT: How Many Miles Do Truck Drivers Drive a Year? [Answered 2022] | Prettymotors
Now you figure it out...
IF all the cars/trucks were EVs which is the objective how much electricity needed to charge their batteries
given the batteries use .346 kWh to travel 1 mile.

They will require 13,722,646,751,445 kWh per year.
Our current generating plants create 4,165,030,000,000 kWh.
FACT:https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained...y-in-the-us-generation-capacity-and-sales.php
If "we plan well" means spending :
  • Either 4,574 power plants in addition to the current 11,070 at a cost of $32.019 Trillion to build
  • either 400,619,860,055 solar panels at a cost of $80.1 Trillion to build
  • either 21,219,071 wind turbines at a cost of $84.9 trillion to build
I leave you with this story...
"The mayor was shocked by how a group of grown men and women couldn't figure out something that a little boy could"!
https://purposefocuscommitment.com/problem-solving-story-find-right-solution-when-completely-stuck/

FACT: There are 146,048,000 Americans that drive at least 29 miles/day/5 days a week 52 weeks.
FACT: How Many Miles Do Truck Drivers Drive a Year? [Answered 2022] | Prettymotors
Now you figure it out...
IF all the cars/trucks were EVs which is the objective how much electricity needed to charge their batteries

FACT:Electricity generation, capacity, and sales in the United States - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
  • Either 4,574 power plants in addition to the current 11,070 at a cost of $32.019 Trillion to build
"The mayor was shocked by how a group of grown men and women couldn't figure out something that a little boy could"!
Problem solving story: How to find the right solution when you are completely stuck
One of the greenies here already answered that question

The left will just take away all the cars and make everyone walk or ride the bus

Now you figure it out...

FACT:Electricity generation, capacity, and sales in the United States - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
Problem solving story: How to find the right solution when you are completely stuck
Your calculations are full of errors, but mostly intentional errors.

But much more important is the fact that EV's not ever going to replace gas and diesel vehicles one for one.

EV's can replace say 20% of them. That's my rather generous estimate for you to chew on. And then of course the gas and diesel vehicles will be replaced with mass transit and other methods of minimizing the need for vehicles that pollute and do harm to the environment.

Don't bother answering if you're only interested in more spamming.

That's not being snotty, it's talking to Americans who have established a track record with me of being ignorant assholes.

Would you be interested in improving the relationship?

I don't really care but I'll offer the option.

And so what can you imagine for the possibilities of a future with mass transit instead of individuals driving gas cars alone?
I don't like to carry anything i.e. grocery bags on a train or bus. I prefer being able to leave them in my car and then go into the store without being searched as I would if a train or bus was my only alternative.

I don't like to carry anything i.e. grocery bags on a train or bus. I prefer being able to leave them in my car and then go into the store without being searched as I would if a train or bus was my only alternative.
The whole world is pleased to hear about what you prefer!

Your calculations are full of errors, but mostly intentional errors.

But much more important is the fact that EV's not ever going to replace gas and diesel vehicles one for one.

EV's can replace say 20% of them. That's my rather generous estimate for you to chew on. And then of course the gas and diesel vehicles will be replaced with mass transit and other methods of minimizing the need for vehicles that pollute and do harm to the environment.

Don't bother answering if you're only interested in more spamming.
I'm interested in facts. Provide me your facts as I've done below.
Take a few moments of your "scholarly" time and correct the assumptions but remember,
I've provided links to the sources... So when you question, you are question authorities on the subject...not your amateur, subjective and highly personal biased opinions!
Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 3.21.54 PM.png

The whole world is pleased to hear about what you prefer!
Well again you are exaggerating. Not the whole world. But enough people, i.e. for example:
Over 76 percent of Americans drive alone to work every day, while another 9 percent carpool with someone else. Considering that ACS counted 150 million workers in 2016, that's at least 115 million cars and trucks hitting American streets every day.Oct 3, 2017
Now why do you suppose they do that? Ah... but pompous, and functional idiots that probably live in their parents basement don't understand that. And that's understandable! Again... as Nietzsche said, “Der Teufel stecktim Detail"!

So what happens to power generating plants to meet the power needs of both Hertz and say 10% of current cars/trucks are converted to EVs?
It is very simple. 10% of current cars/trucks being EVs each using at .346 kWh per mile traveled.
Calculations:
A) Cars..
The average commuter drives 29 miles/day for 5 days for 50 weeks. 146 million Americans do that per below.
  1. That is 7,540 miles/year per driver times 146 million commuters or 110,120,192,000 per year (again just 5 days a week)
B) Trucks...
  1. There are 37,900,000 trucks that according to Economics and Industry Data drive 78,000 miles per year.
  2. Assuming 10% of these trucks become EVs and the mileage per mile is .346 kWh/mile or 2,956,200,000,000 kWh.
C) Total of an additional 2,994,301,586,432 kWh for 10% of American cars/trucks at .346 kWh/mile.

D) If 11,070 total power plants in usa right now generate 4,165,030,000,000 kWh or 493,842,118 kWh

E) how many more plants to generate 2,994,301,586,432 kWh for 10% of American cars/trucks at .346 kWh/mile.

F) an additional 2,994,301,586,432 kWh for 10% of EV cars/trucks divided by 493,842,118 kWh/power plant

In summary, if just 10% of cars/trucks become EVs will require 3,460 more power plants at a cost per power plant (after 10 years of planning and building) a $2 billion power plant or $6,919,974,587,797 (https://schlissel-technical.com/docs/reports_35.pdf

And that's just 10% of cars/trucks becoming EVs requiring the addition of 3,460 power plants !

So you linked to a report on the cost of coal powered plants, and based your estimates on that.

Did you consider nuclear power plants?

If I recall from differential equations:

A solution can be approximated with insignificant error by the sum of partial solutions. (Or something like that).

Yes, we need EVs, yes, we need nuclear power plants, yes, we need solar & wind power, yes, we need mass transit, and yes there will always be some gas-powered vehicles.

Oh yeah...yes, we need as many people working from home as is possible!

Calculations:
A) Cars..
B) Trucks...

Sure. Lol.

Forum List

Back