Foods where the ghetto version is just as good or better

AveMarica

Platinum Member
Aug 16, 2023
For example, canned corned beef hash.

I've tried all kinds of homemade corned beef hash but I prefer the simple Libbys (or even supermarket brand) canned version. One problem with homemade CBH is people often throw too much in, I love onions and bell peppers but IMO they don't belong in CBH. Same with bigger chunks of potato.

Traditional hash is made with left over Sunday pot roast. Very popular in the 1950s.

If you want to do corned beef as the meat then used the canned stuff but if you use real corned beef it will be much better.

Usually nothing more than the meat, potatoes and gravy.

Damn, that something I've not had since my old road gang convict camp days in the 70s.....It came in big #10 cans from the USDA. We added onions.....It was served on the chow line for breakfast with eggs, biscuits, and gravy. Very filing and the convicts liked it.....There were seldom any leftovers.

Traditional hash is made with left over Sunday pot roast. Very popular in the 1950s.

If you want to do corned beef as the meat then used the canned stuff but if you use real corned beef it will be much better.

Usually nothing more than the meat, potatoes and gravy.

Thanks for the reminder of mom's pot roast hash!

The Burger King Original Chicken Sandwich over their "good" chicken sandwich.

If I want real Chicken I'll go to Chik'fil'a or Popeyes, At BK I want the pressed mystery chicken.

If I want real Chicken I'll go to Chik'fil'a or Popeyes, At BK I want the pressed mystery chicken.
Popeye's is a ghetto fast food joint but their chicken sandwich is darn good. Just hope you get in, get you order and get out before something really bad happens.

Meanwhile Chick Fil A is clean, safe and courteous.

For corned beef hash, my mother liked Hormel. When the world went insane and she couldn't find any, I offered to look...and bought all they had, which was a couple Hormel, and about eight cans of Walmart house brand. (She does NOT like Walmart groceries.) She thought it was just as good, and a double-blind test by my stepfather confirmed it: Walmart corned beef hash is Hormel!

Check the value menu-the "Chicken Jr." is a lot cheaper than the original and much easier to eat. I also accidentally discovered a great thing: the OCS with light BBQ sauce instead of mayo. That was great.

I always prefer processed chicken patties over the real things. Morningstar farms used to make a fantastic vegan Chixen Patty that was even better than real chicken as well, but then they changed the ingredients so now it is more like a bean burger.

Forum List

Back