Fla.'s efforts to eliminate introduced snake species

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
In 2017 Florida initiated a bounty on introduced snakes and over 2,500 were captured so far (2019). Apparently you have to apply for a permit and somehow the state of Florida pays $8.65 per hour to the hunters. An additional bounty of $50.00 for snakes over 4 ft. long and $25.00 for each additional foot. An additional bounty of $200 for snakes guarding a nest of eggs. I have no idea of how they verify this but the biggest snake so far was around 17 ft. All in all it is a positive step in environmental efforts. It beats whining about global warming.

Florida may also allow python to be served in restaurants and at home:

Spread a rumor that python meat is a natural aphrodisiac and the snakes will be wiped out in a few show years.

In 2017 Florida initiated a bounty on introduced snakes and over 2,500 were captured so far (2019). Apparently you have to apply for a permit and somehow the state of Florida pays $8.65 per hour to the hunters. An additional bounty of $50.00 for snakes over 4 ft. long and $25.00 for each additional foot. An additional bounty of $200 for snakes guarding a nest of eggs. I have no idea of how they verify this but the biggest snake so far was around 17 ft. All in all it is a positive step in environmental efforts. It beats whining about global warming.

There is now a TV show showing men stalking and catching the snakes.

I watched a dramatized account of Florida snake hunters wrestling live aggressive snakes into bags but the same guys make a living sneaking up on sleeping alligators and blasting them with firearms. Wouldn't it make sense to kill the snakes first?

Spread a rumor that python meat is a natural aphrodisiac and the snakes will be wiped out in a few show years.

Harmonica, IM2, and brokeloser will corner the market by themselves.

Need a really big hot dog bun I bet.

Forum List

Back