Fishy Ads on Facebook

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
A couple days ago I ran across (on FB) an ad for a remote control golf-bag-cart. I have been looking at these things for years and would love to have one. You walk the course and this thing follows you around, carrying your golf bag for you. They run around $2,500. I don't know if you will be able to see it, but I attached a screen shot of an ad for one of them for less than a hundred bucks. If you click on the link it sort-of looks legit, but some of the details are absurd. The weight of the device is said to be 4455 kg (about 10 thousand pounds). Obviously this is a scam.

Today I see a bike rack that looks perfect for me, for under $30. Again, this is too good to be true.

I though FB was screening their shit. These people have to be paying a fee to advertise, and it is obviously targeted to me (I occasionally buy bike and golf stuff off of FB ads). Again, why isn't FB picking these up as scams?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 11.43.18.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 11.43.18.png
    223.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 10.37.10.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 10.37.10.png
    228.9 KB · Views: 35
Check other websites for the same products and check reviews if you can find them.

A couple days ago I ran across (on FB) an ad for a remote control golf-bag-cart. I have been looking at these things for years and would love to have one. You walk the course and this thing follows you around, carrying your golf bag for you. They run around $2,500. I don't know if you will be able to see it, but I attached a screen shot of an ad for one of them for less than a hundred bucks. If you click on the link it sort-of looks legit, but some of the details are absurd. The weight of the device is said to be 4455 kg (about 10 thousand pounds). Obviously this is a scam.

Today I see a bike rack that looks perfect for me, for under $30. Again, this is too good to be true.

I though FB was screening their shit. These people have to be paying a fee to advertise, and it is obviously targeted to me (I occasionally buy bike and golf stuff off of FB ads). Again, why isn't FB picking these up as scams?

I've seen the same sort of ads for shooting optics. According to one source Facebook tracks your personal interest (the sites/products you visit/view most) and then creates ads for identical products but at dirt cheap (unbelievably low) prices. Supposedly all of these super cheap for high end product websites are scams. Some guy on a shooting forum I belong to ordered a $4700 thermal rifle scope for $99 through a Facebook ad website—Shoppica. A few weeks later he received a toy Star Wars light saber instead of the optic. My educated guess is all of these Facebook ads for super cheap products are scams.

Obviously, the connection between google and FB shows up in what sorts of products they advertise on your FB feed, and I have no problem with that. But I think they should at least do a Reality Check on the ads to see if they are obvious scams. Apparently they do not.

Forum List

Back