Fewer tanks-more horses demilitarizing the police

Dayton3

Gold Member
May 3, 2009
I've long been an opponent of what I see as the increasing militarization of American law enforcement agencies with police often fielding SWAT teams that look more like light infantry units than part of law enforcement.

So why not pull back, get rid of the armored vehicles for most law enforcement agencies and instead spend the resources on more mounted (horse) units? Though it probably wouldn't save money as trained horses and keeping up training for mounted officers would probably soak up the money not spent on maintaining even wheeled armored vehicles.

But to my way of thinking some mounted police officers are far more palatable to the public than those officers riding around in an armored vehicle. And obviously the public image of police forces are important.

And from a practical standpoint, according to what I've heard about mounted law enforcement, there are few things more effective than them when it comes to controlling an unruly mob.

Opinions?

I've long been an opponent of what I see as the increasing militarization of American law enforcement agencies with police often fielding SWAT teams that look more like light infantry units than part of law enforcement.

So why not pull back, get rid of the armored vehicles for most law enforcement agencies and instead spend the resources on more mounted (horse) units? Though it probably wouldn't save money as trained horses and keeping up training for mounted officers would probably soak up the money not spent on maintaining even wheeled armored vehicles.

But to my way of thinking some mounted police officers are far more palatable to the public than those officers riding around in an armored vehicle. And obviously the public image of police forces are important.

And from a practical standpoint, according to what I've heard about mounted law enforcement, there are few things more effective than them when it comes to controlling an unruly mob.

Opinions?
Police shouldn’t have tanks

Opinions?
I like the idea, though it sounds like a lot of horse sh%t.

Mounted police have come under attack by violent protesters. In Los Angeles protesters have complained about the eye shields horses wear. Going for the eyes to blind horses in one of the favorite targets. In fact anti police protests have complained about horses wearing body armor.

Opinions?

So they should just roll up to a hostage situation on mopeds in their jammies?

Opinions?
Progs will be progs.

Mounted police have come under attack by violent protesters. In Los Angeles protesters have complained about the eye shields horses wear. Going for the eyes to blind horses in one of the favorite targets. In fact anti police protests have complained about horses wearing body armor.
Of course we could go back to the days when police wore this shit.

knight-image.jpg

Who cares what protesters are complaining about. Doesn't the fact that they complain about horses in itself indicate the effectiveness of mounted cops?

Who cares what protesters are complaining about. Doesn't the fact that they complain about horses in itself indicate the effectiveness of mounted cops?
Who cares? You know who pays attention to these. Complaints. The people authorizing city expenditures. Take the body armor slice the horses up. Take their eye shields, throw acid or rocks at their eyes. These are democrats. They aren't human.

Opinions?

No police force has a tank, at most they have an armored car or some form of armored personnel carrier.

Opinions?

Ya, a hostage situation is where you use a tank. Lol I guess if ya don't like the hostages much you can roll in with a tank. We typically use a little more precision instrument for such a job. The tanks are mainly used to roll into fortified drug dens.

Opinions?

Ya, a hostage situation is where you use a tank. Lol I guess if ya don't like the hostages much you can roll in with a tank. We typically use a little more precision instrument for such a job. The tanks are mainly used to roll into fortified drug dens.

Noooo,an armored vehicle,because our police dont even have tanks,allows the police to get right up to the door or window.
Some of them have rams which they use to open those doors so the police officers aren't exposed to gunfire while breaking down the door.
These rams can also inject tear gas into the structure further protecting officers from gunfire.
God Damn you liberals are some dumb MFers!!!

The heavy militarization of police forces, the fact that many cops were themselves previously military or have military training, the mostly fake “war on terror,” our foreign adventures and high-tech drone wars against “enemy combatants” in “forever wars” ... all this has had subtle and not-so-subtle deleterious effects on policing in many big and even small cities. It has tended to weaken ties with local communities and built up an ever higher “us vs. them” wall of fear and misunderstanding. “Community policing” goals have often fallen to the wayside in recent years.

Here is a far-from-radical study of “militarization of the police” by the corporate “libertarian” Koch brother’s institute:

Opinions?

Noooo,an armored vehicle,because our police dont even have tanks,allows the police to get right up to the door or window.
Some of them have rams which they use to open those doors so the police officers aren't exposed to gunfire while breaking down the door.
These rams can also inject tear gas into the structure further protecting officers from gunfire.
So you bring a rank for hostage situations? Lol. Not standard tactics but what ever you are a legend in your own mind.

The heavy militarization of police forces, the fact that many cops were themselves previously military or have military training, the mostly fake “war on terror,” our foreign adventures and high-tech drone wars against “enemy combatants” in “forever wars” ... all this has had subtle and not-so-subtle deleterious effects on policing in many big and even small cities. It has tended to weaken ties with local communities and built up an ever higher “us vs. them” wall of fear and misunderstanding. “Community policing” goals have often fallen to the wayside in recent years.

Here is a far-from-radical study of “militarization of the police” by the corporate “libertarian” Koch brother’s institute:

All of the military equipment is donated.

Opinions?

So you bring a rank for hostage situations? Lol. Not standard tactics but what ever you are a legend in your own mind.

What's a rank?

Opinions?
Ok, get rid of Chicago then we can talk.

Opinions?
You would leave the police less armed making the criminals better armed..............you know criminals that regularly attack horses punching and stabbing them so you would set up more horses to be abused and killed along with their cops handlers.

GEEBUS, stay away from my police...I don't want us becomine portland, I want our cops fighting back the criminals.

Forum List

Back