Femto camera experiment says space is the medium for light

trevorjohnson83

VIP Member
Nov 24, 2015
I have an exciting new experiment to test for space being the medium for light waves. It is similar to the famous Michelson and Morley experiment.

The experiment utilizes a Femto camera. A Femto camera takes a trillion frames per second and is capable of capturing light in slow motion as it leaves its source. The link below is a video of just that. By pausing the video where light has expanded into s sphere, one can then measure for space 'moving past' just as they did in the M&M experiment. If space is in fact the medium for light one would expect to be able to measure for the slight difference in speed along different directions in a paused image of the Femto camera.

When I measured with a ruler on the screen I did in fact find that light was travelling faster by a few mm per 25 cm in one direction over the other depending on how you want to look at it.

All waves are a denser part of a medium spreading out to a less dense part of that medium, so light is just that and its medium is space.

If space is in fact the medium for light
You mean the luminiferous aether or ether "rather than a spatial vacuum". And indeed, M&M intended to show compelling evidence for it, but their results fell short for multiple, well documented reasons where others have succeeded. Unfortunately, Wikipedia remains woefully misled and thus misleading on that score.

Models can easily be written to arrive at the conclusion wanted.
True, but it's not just a model in this case. One can literally see the evidence with their own lying eyes. The OP states in no uncertain terms:
The experiment utilizes a Femto camera. A Femto camera takes a trillion frames per second and is capable of capturing light in slow motion as it leaves its source. The link below is a video of just that.

What others say

“Though photographs in the near future will still be composed by people holding cameras, it will gradually become more accurate to say pictures were computed rather than 'taken' or 'captured.'” — Popular Photography magazine

Google's definition of "virtual":
adjective

1. almost or nearly as described, but not completely or according to strict definition.
    "the virtual absence of border controls"
    COMPUTING
    not physically existing as such but made by software to appear to do so.
    "a virtual computer"
    carried out, accessed, or stored by means of a computer, especially over a network.
    "a virtual library"

True, but it's not just a model in this case. One can literally see the evidence with their own lying eyes. The OP states in no uncertain terms:
The experiment utilizes a Femto camera. A Femto camera takes a trillion frames per second and is capable of capturing light in slow motion as it leaves its source. The link below is a video of just that.

What others say

“Though photographs in the near future will still be composed by people holding cameras, it will gradually become more accurate to say pictures were computed rather than 'taken' or 'captured.'” — Popular Photography magazine

OP's video contains a link to the original "experiment".
If we created a virtual camera that was fast enough, we could capture light as it spreads through the virtual scene! To find out what this looks like, I modified my 2D light transport simulator to render transient effects.

The idea of capturing light in slow motion is not new - in fact, the Femto-Photography project succeded in doing this with physical cameras, which is an impressive feat. Jarabo et al. applied the Femto Photography idea to 3D rendering and rendered beautiful imagery of light moving through virtual 3D scenes. Building on my previous experiments with 2D light transport, it was my goal to apply this concept to 2D rendering.

In Monte Carlo raytracing, Femto Photography is very simple to set up. First, we assign our virtual camera a time interval [t0, t1] during which the shutter is open. Rather than rendering all light that reaches the camera, we now only allow light that took between t0 and t1 seconds to reach the sensor.

To keep track of time along light paths, I will be using a slightly modified geometric optics model, in which light travels along straight lines at constant speed.
It's a model.

What others say

If we created a virtual camera that was fast enough, we could capture light as it spreads through the virtual scene! To find out what this looks like, I modified my 2D light transport simulator to render transient effects.

The idea of capturing light in slow motion is not new - in fact, the Femto-Photography project succeded in doing this with physical cameras, which is an impressive feat. Jarabo et al. applied the Femto Photography idea to 3D rendering and rendered beautiful imagery of light moving through virtual 3D scenes. Building on my previous experiments with 2D light transport, it was my goal to apply this concept to 2D rendering.

In Monte Carlo raytracing, Femto Photography is very simple to set up. First, we assign our virtual camera a time interval [t0, t1] during which the shutter is open. Rather than rendering all light that reaches the camera, we now only allow light that took between t0 and t1 seconds to reach the sensor.

To keep track of time along light paths, I will be using a slightly modified geometric optics model, in which light travels along straight lines at constant speed.
It's a model.

People have debated with me over this for almost three years. There are only two options, it's a real video or someone hand drew a computer animation. I'm leaning towards it looks real.

He "uses" a model to more simply render a 2D simulation of actual 3D virtual photography. He's not screwing around with the physical results in any significant way suggestive of aiming for a preconceived result.

What others say

It's a model.

People have debated with me over this for almost three years. There are only two options, it's a real video or someone hand drew a computer animation. I'm leaning towards it looks real.

Good simulations "look real". That's the point. Do you know what ray-tracing software is?

He "uses" a model to more simply render a 2D simulation of actual 3D virtual photography. He's not screwing around with the physical results in any significant way suggestive of aiming for a preconceived result.
There are no physical results. There was nothing physical about the original video. It was a 2D simulation of a 3D simulation, based on assumptions of the behavior of light.

I have an exciting new experiment to test for space being the medium for light waves. It is similar to the famous Michelson and Morley experiment.

The experiment utilizes a Femto camera. A Femto camera takes a trillion frames per second and is capable of capturing light in slow motion as it leaves its source. The link below is a video of just that. By pausing the video where light has expanded into s sphere, one can then measure for space 'moving past' just as they did in the M&M experiment. If space is in fact the medium for light one would expect to be able to measure for the slight difference in speed along different directions in a paused image of the Femto camera.

When I measured with a ruler on the screen I did in fact find that light was travelling faster by a few mm per 25 cm in one direction over the other depending on how you want to look at it.

All waves are a denser part of a medium spreading out to a less dense part of that medium, so light is just that and its medium is space.

No way they can take that many frames.

Wow what a surprise light is a wave and space is it's medium, never saw that commin'. It's not as obvious as the earth isn't flat, but it's pretty layman to observe in the video that it is a wave.

There are no physical results. There was nothing physical about the original video. It was a 2D simulation of a 3D simulation, based on assumptions of the behavior of light.
Then there was nothing "physical" about that video of a bullet passing through an apple either. Don't believe it. No skin off my nose. :4_13_65:

Yet you apparently find light depicted as a "particle" physically real. Go figure.

Wow what a surprise light is a wave and space is it's medium
Again, by definition, "space" cannot be light's "medium." You can't wave void. The Aether, being a field, supports light waves with pleasure. Enables every other energy exchange as well.
Well I personally refer to the medium as space. All waves are a density spreading out through a medium, and they are made up of that medium. The aether would imply some sort of gas or solid lining space which would slow down objects' travelling through space. So I don't believe in an aether, just that space can be condensed or squeezed like that in the property of a wave.

Then there was nothing "physical" about that video of a bullet passing through an apple either. Don't believe it. No skin off my nose. :4_13_65:

Yet you apparently find light depicted as a "particle" physically real. Go figure.
Ummm...the video of the apple being shot is real.

"Yet you apparently find light depicted as a "particle" physically real."

The action of light in the video in the OP is a simulation. It's not real. I've shown that.

However, THIS video is of a real laser pulse transiting a beam splitter, with a frame rate of 10 trillion frames per second. That's the fastest frame rate...for now.

But if you want to keep arguing against things I never said, you can continue this conversation by yourself.

Forum List

Back