Female genital mutilation is a crime in the US

Same procedure, different reason. A cultural tradition is not the same thing as a religious rite.

Exactly, that's what I've been saying all along.

So if me and Shlomo both get cut, and his is 'religious' and mine is not, guess what's left.

Besides which --- as I keep pointing out over and over --- circumcision (of either type) is WAY older than any religion. It was already there when each one of those religions bubbled up.
Name a living religion that practiced circumcision before the Jews.

And the result is not the issue, rather the cause. The issue is motivation.

Once AGAIN it wasn't practiced by "religions" as it is not a religious practice.
Religions
don't practice it --- cultures do.

Don't ask me to counter one causation fallacy --- with another causation fallacy. Just drop the fallacies.

Why are you so sure that a practice cannot be both cultural and religious?

Are you actually trying to say that Jews, at least of the conservative, orthodox variety, don't consider circumcision a religious mandate?

Here's The Jerusalem Council saying that circumcision is part of keeping the Covenant: Do I need to be circumcised? | The Jerusalem Council

According to the Jewish Virtual Library Project, "The rite of circumcision (brit milah) is one of the most ancient practices of Judaism. The commandment to circumcise male children was given to Abraham in the Torah (Genesis 17:714 and repeated in Leviticus 12:3)." Circumcision- Brit Milah

Reform Judaism says that "B’rit milah, (literally, “covenant of circumcision”), also called a bris, refers to a religious ritual through which male babies are formally welcomed into the Jewish people." B'rit Milah: The Circumcision Ritual

There are also supposedly some Christian sects that perform circumcision for religious reasons: the Ethiopian Orthodox Church The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church
The Eritrean Orthodox Church Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Church - Wikipedia

Circumcision can clearly be a religious and a cultural thing.

Once again ---- FGM has a long history in Ethiopia, and once again it long predates Christianism. So this is yet again another case of a new religion starting up and acceding to a cultural practice that already exists and is already widespread. That new religion knows it's not going to wrest an entrenched cultural practice out of practice, so it dresses it up in an 'official sanction'. It co-opts it. But the practice itself comes from longstanding established social practices --- not from religion.

If the discussion were about where circumcision originated, that would be important. However, you made the statement that circumcision "is not a religious practice." That is manifestly untrue. Whether the religions in question took the practice from cultural practices is irrelevant; circumcision IS a religious practice in some religions. There is no reason it cannot be a cultural practice and a religious practice.

Like we all see you are a STUPID ASS ON STEROIDS, right along with the-rest of the brain dead idiots up there

DEMOTARDS are loved by POLITICIANS because they know you idiots at to stupid to see anything right in front of them every word flapped out of your pathetic mouths proves it all by yourselves.

View attachment 175788

FROM THE HILL DEMOTARD

FGM has been a crime in America since 1996. Federal law provides that, “whoever knowingly circumcises, excises, or infibulates the whole or any part of the labia majora or labia minora or clitoris of another person who has not attained the age of 18 years shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.”
Female genital mutilation is a crime in the US — so why is it rarely prosecuted?
No folks, not even Hollywood could make this "the sky is falling" shit up.......

:rofl: :lmao: :lmao: :rofl:
:fu::ahole-1:
I didn't realize you cared that much...... I'm touched......

:cool:
:boohoo::fu::ahole-1::abgg2q.jpg:

"Cartels"? :wtf:

Actually Catholicism and Santeria/Voudoun/Candomblé synch together quite fluidly. Always have. It's the Protestant sects that conflict. That's got zero to do with the topic urúthough.
The beheadings in Mexico and Central America are the work of the cartels. I don't think the Catholics allow that kind of thing.

Yes, Santeria is a distortion of the Catholic faith.

Mmmmmnope. Santería (Voudoun in Haiti, Candomblé in Brasil) is a reconstruction of Yoruba spiritism. But again, not related here. None of them cut limbs off. Nor are they much found in Mexico anyway.
Santeria, burú (here) and Candomblé are all demonic based on Catholic saints. Human sacrifice is part of them all.

But the cartels are doing the head removing, regardless of religion. Therefore, your argument that religion is involved is moot.

:lol: No they're not, clown. You're over your head in this.

Furthermoreistically, my argument has *NEVER* been that religion is involved. It's been the opposite. Click, like anywhere in this thread.

The memory is the second thing to go.....
It's in our conversation. The part where you said:

There are a lot of headless bodies in Mexicoand Latin America...

So yes Christians cut off heads.

Remember now?
I said that. Not Pogo. Decapitation is not religious. It is a means of intimidation or state sponsored execution like hanging, electric chair or firing squad.

Exactly, that's what I've been saying all along.

So if me and Shlomo both get cut, and his is 'religious' and mine is not, guess what's left.

Besides which --- as I keep pointing out over and over --- circumcision (of either type) is WAY older than any religion. It was already there when each one of those religions bubbled up.

Once AGAIN it wasn't practiced by "religions" as it is not a religious practice.
Religions

Don't ask me to counter one causation fallacy --- with another causation fallacy. Just drop the fallacies.

Are you actually trying to say that Jews, at least of the conservative, orthodox variety, don't consider circumcision a religious mandate?

Here's The Jerusalem Council saying that circumcision is part of keeping the Covenant: Do I need to be circumcised? | The Jerusalem Council

According to the Jewish Virtual Library Project, "The rite of circumcision (brit milah) is one of the most ancient practices of Judaism. The commandment to circumcise male children was given to Abraham in the Torah (Genesis 17:714 and repeated in Leviticus 12:3)." Circumcision- Brit Milah

Reform Judaism says that "B’rit milah, (literally, “covenant of circumcision”), also called a bris, refers to a religious ritual through which male babies are formally welcomed into the Jewish people." B'rit Milah: The Circumcision Ritual

There are also supposedly some Christian sects that perform circumcision for religious reasons: the Ethiopian Orthodox Church The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Once again ---- FGM has a long history in Ethiopia, and once again it long predates Christianism. So this is yet again another case of a new religion starting up and acceding to a cultural practice that already exists and is already widespread. That new religion knows it's not going to wrest an entrenched cultural practice out of practice, so it dresses it up in an 'official sanction'. It co-opts it. But the practice itself comes from longstanding established social practices --- not from religion.

If the discussion were about where circumcision originated, that would be important. However, you made the statement that circumcision "is not a religious practice." That is manifestly untrue. Whether the religions in question took the practice from cultural practices is irrelevant; circumcision IS a religious practice in some religions. There is no reason it cannot be a cultural practice and a religious practice.

It cannot be both in nature. Just because some religion embraces or co-opts an already-existing practice as a way of either selling itself or as a way of avoiding the alienation of that culture --- doesn't make it a "religious" practice if that's not what it was invented for.

If on the other hand a religion invents its own practice like say baptism --- that's a religious ritual if people were not already doing it. Its invention has a religious purpose. But some scribe making up a story about Abraham closing a deal with God, that sounds like just milking something that's already there and invented for another purpose entirely to sell the religion into a front-and-center position in daily life.

Christmas lights don't have a religious purpose at least as regards theistic religions --- they're there as sympathetic magic to bring back the sunlight -- but they may be associated with a religious practice.

:agree:

Religions

It cannot be both in nature. Just because some religion embraces or co-opts an already-existing practice as a way of either selling itself or as a way of avoiding the alienation of that culture --- doesn't make it a "religious" practice if that's not what it was invented for.

If on the other hand a religion invents its own practice like say baptism --- that's a religious ritual if people were not already doing it. Its invention has a religious purpose. But some scribe making up a story about Abraham closing a deal with God, that sounds like just milking something that's already there and invented for another purpose entirely to sell the religion into a front-and-center position in daily life.

Christmas lights don't have a religious purpose at least as regards theistic religions --- they're there as sympathetic magic to bring back the sunlight -- but they may be associated with a religious practice.

Well, people having been submerging themselves in water since the beginning of humanity, so I guess baptism isn't a religious ritual, either. ;)

When someone fasts for Lent, or Ramadan, it is a religious practice. That doesn't mean fasting can't be cultural, and can't have been cultural before it was religious. Or put another way, Christmas is a religious holiday, but it is also a cultural holiday. Just because Christmas has religious roots doesn't mean there can't be a secular, cultural version of the holiday.

What makes a ritual religious is not whether it has been done before, but whether it is part of a religion's beliefs. I don't know where the idea that religious rituals only count if they are original comes from, but it's very odd. :dunno:

Like we all see you are a STUPID ASS ON STEROIDS, right along with the-rest of the brain dead idiots up there

DEMOTARDS are loved by POLITICIANS because they know you idiots at to stupid to see anything right in front of them every word flapped out of your pathetic mouths proves it all by yourselves.

View attachment 175788

FROM THE HILL DEMOTARD

FGM has been a crime in America since 1996. Federal law provides that, “whoever knowingly circumcises, excises, or infibulates the whole or any part of the labia majora or labia minora or clitoris of another person who has not attained the age of 18 years shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.”
Female genital mutilation is a crime in the US — so why is it rarely prosecuted?
No folks, not even Hollywood could make this "the sky is falling" shit up.......

Wow, you must have it bad....... Pretty sure my wife won't like it though. :dunno:

View attachment 175788

FROM THE HILL DEMOTARD

Wow, you must have it bad....... Pretty sure my wife won't like it though. :dunno:

:boohoo::fu::ahole-1::abgg2q.jpg:[/QUOTE]

Changing the cultural beliefs is the best way to handle it, rather than throwing parents in jail for honoring their culture. It would be similar to outlawing circumcision for Jews.

I was with you up to this point.
Yes we need to try to stop the practice, but, in the meantime, those that continue to ‘honour their culture’ by mutilating their daughters do indeed need to be thrown in jail.

Also, there are plenty of muslims, imams and religious leaders included, who insist that fgm IS a religious requirement, and they quote chapter and verse to ‘prove it’ - they’ve even done so on national tv debates in the U.K. before, so no doubt they are asserting the same in their mosques and communities. They find the notion that fgm is merely cultural insulting and risible. It will probably not to be easy to convince such people otherwise.

As to you comparing fgm with circumcision, really? SMH.

Last edited:

[/QUOTE]
You really should seek help for that, maybe Rosalee's Exotic Spice & Tea Shop in Portland........ :eusa_whistle:

The beheadings in Mexico and Central America are the work of the cartels. I don't think the Catholics allow that kind of thing.

Yes, Santeria is a distortion of the Catholic faith.

Mmmmmnope. Santería (Voudoun in Haiti, Candomblé in Brasil) is a reconstruction of Yoruba spiritism. But again, not related here. None of them cut limbs off. Nor are they much found in Mexico anyway.
Santeria, burú (here) and Candomblé are all demonic based on Catholic saints. Human sacrifice is part of them all.

But the cartels are doing the head removing, regardless of religion. Therefore, your argument that religion is involved is moot.

Furthermoreistically, my argument has *NEVER* been that religion is involved. It's been the opposite. Click, like anywhere in this thread.

Remember now?
I said that. Not Pogo. Decapitation is not religious. It is a means of intimidation or state sponsored execution like hanging, electric chair or firing squad.
OK, my bad. In the case of Latin America, it is the work of cartels. Many times their religion demands blood. Other times it's used for revenge, by beheading the entire family.

In the ME, it's used as a religious form of intimidation. Usually the victims belong to the wrong sect.

Religions

I wonder why the scribe didn't include FGM, a widely practised form of mutilation at the time.

Religions

I wonder why the scribe didn't include FGM, a widely practised form of mutilation at the time.

Prolly because FGM is more geographically spread among nomadic peoples and it didn't apply.

Correct. And yet, it's the same thing for either. Which means they must have something in common other than a religion.

Tell us --- which is older, Judaism or circumcision?

Squirm alert.....
I'm telling you how it goes. There was this covenant, see. Between God and Abraham. It applies to all Jews to this day. They must be circumcised.

Others can or can't be, as is their want, for any variety of reasons. But no other religion requires it.

You won't answer this one either.

I just gave it away though.
You're asking me a question that has no connection to my point. You were not circumcised for religious reasons. Your neighbor Shlomo was.
What IS your point, Aba?
You said changing the culture of FGM would be similar to changing a Jewish religious rite. I said not really.
OH! Are you saying it would be much easier, then, to change the culture of FGM because it is not religious?

Prolly because FGM is more geographically spread among nomadic peoples and it didn't apply.
It was common in the area. So there goes that theory.

Did God tell Abraham that this was something brand new that had never been done before, or did it have more to do with His covenant with Abraham?

Changing the cultural beliefs is the best way to handle it, rather than throwing parents in jail for honoring their culture. It would be similar to outlawing circumcision for Jews.

I was with you up to this point.
Yes we need to try to stop the practice, but, in the meantime, those that continue to ‘honour their culture’ by mutilating their daughters do indeed need to be thrown in jail.

Also, there are plenty of muslims, imams and religious leaders included, who insist that fgm IS a religious requirement, and they quote chapter and verse to ‘prove it’ - they’ve even done so on national tv debates in the U.K. before, so no doubt they are asserting the same in their mosques and communities. They find the notion that fgm is merely cultural insulting and risible. It will probably not to be easy to convince such people otherwise.

As to you comparing fgm with circumcision, really? SMH.
I made it clear I'm comparing the cultural traditions behind the two procedures, not the procedures themselves. I also made a lot of other things clear that you are choosing to completely ignore. So I'm not arguing with you about it anymore.

I'm telling you how it goes. There was this covenant, see. Between God and Abraham. It applies to all Jews to this day. They must be circumcised.

Others can or can't be, as is their want, for any variety of reasons. But no other religion requires it.

You won't answer this one either.

I just gave it away though.
You're asking me a question that has no connection to my point. You were not circumcised for religious reasons. Your neighbor Shlomo was.
foreigners
What IS your point, Aba?
You said changing the culture of FGM would be similar to changing a Jewish religious rite. I said not really.
OH! Are you saying it would be much easier, then, to change the culture of FGM because it is not religious?
I'm saying they are two separate things. Most Americans expect immigrants to adapt to the American culture, for example, but do not expect them to change their religion.

It was common in the area. So there goes that theory.

Did God tell Abraham that this was something brand new that had never been done before, or did it have more to do with His covenant with Abraham?

Too many unreferenced pronouns. Define "it".

If "it" refers to FGM, no it was not common in the area, obviously male circumcision was. That's why the marketing division of the new religion wanted to hop on that horse to ride it --- you already know it's going to be happening so you paint it over with a religion story, and you get guaranteed embedded advertising every time it happens, and you get a guaranteed commercial for your new religion literally every time a baby is born.

Just as while George Washington had nothing to do with making cars, yet car dealers will use President's Day to sell some. Yet it doesn't make George Washington personally responsible for bumper-to-bumper traffic.

This is the same thing I was trying to explain to Montrovant An established cultural practice comes from just that -- if a religion comes along to an already-entrenched practice and tries to incorporate it -- that religion is simply riding a convenient horse. But the horse is already there whether a religion incorporates it or not.

THIS COUNTRY IS IN MAJOR TROUBLE & FOR THE RECORD THIS WAS TWEETED BY RON PAUL :
upload_2018-2-10_14-37-35.png

Kambree Kawahine Koa on Twitter

Remember now?
OK, my bad. In the case of Latin America, it is the work of cartels. Many times their religion demands blood. Other times it's used for revenge, by beheading the entire family.

In the ME, it's used as a religious form of intimidation. Usually the victims belong to the wrong sect.

Everywhere it is used as a form of intimidation.

Forum List

Back