Famous People: A-Z

Thomas MERTON (also known as Father Louis): American Trappist monk, author, philosopher.

I read a few of his books and I'm not even Catholic. Very impressive mind on that guy. He was known for being slightly maverick among his peers. Some hardcore Catholic leaders had issues with him. He was killed in a "freak" accident involving a shower and an electric fan in Thailand while attending cross-cultural conferences with Buddhist monks there in 1968. Some people speculated that he may have actually been murdered by Catholic leaders who thought he was too open to other cultures and ideas!

Or maybe he just looked too much like Jean Luc Picard! 😆

Thomas-Merton.jpg
635786917632061025-LCJBrd2-04-11-2015-KY-1-A004--2015-04-10-IMG-IMG-IMG-merton1.jpg-1-1-1EAFJ3...jpg

639696_20150531220748.jpg

Bill PERRY - American blues musician from Chester, NY.

He died the day before my LAST DAY in N.Y., before moving to P.A.. I literally woke up in my bare apartment for the last time, got up, got a newspaper. There it was on the front page. RIP, Bill. Best musician I EVER jammed with, and was truly a great mentor and band leader. I used to wrap up his fish when I worked in a fish market there too. He bought ALOT of fish and cereal, LoL! 😄 Other than that he ate mucho bar food during intermission at the shows. Bill was a great mellow dude. Got his start touring with Richie Havens in Japan. He really cared about folks and wasn't too pompous to walk up and talk to "ordinary" people.

Last edited:
Xuthus

Forum List

Back