ex-Broncos QB Marlin Briscoe dead at 76, 1st Black Quarterback in modern pro football, earned the nickname “Marlin the Magician" & won 2 Super Bowls

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
When the Broncos drafted Marlin Briscoe as a cornerback in 1968, the former Omaha University star told the team he'd return home to become a teacher if he couldn't get a tryout at quarterback.

When the Broncos drafted Marlin Briscoe as a cornerback in 1968, the former Omaha University star told the team he'd return home to become a teacher if he couldn't get a tryout at quarterback.

Interestingly, Bronco Tim Tebow had better career QB stats in every category.

I thought Doug Williams was the first black QB. I’ve never heard of marlin the magician. I can’t believe I haven’t heard of him and he won 2 SB’s.

Last edited:
I thought Doug Williams was the first black QB. I’ve never heard of marlin the magician. I can’t believe I haven’t heard of him and he won 2 SB’s.
There was also Warren Moon of the Houston Oilers was also one of the First Black QBS

Marlin Oliver Briscoe
Born: September 10, 1945
Oakland, CA USA
Position: WR-QB-FL
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 178
College: Nebraska-Omaha
High School: South (Omaha, NE)
Career: 1968-1976
Drafted: 1968 in Round 14, #357 overall by the Denver Broncos

Marlin Briscoe played from 1968 to 1976 during his career with the Denver Broncos, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, Detroit Lions, San Diego Chargers, New England Patriots and BC Lions. Briscoe threw for 1,697 yards in his career, completing 97 of 233 passes with 14 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. He also ran for 336 yards in 49 attempts with 3 rushing touchdowns.

Forum List

Back