Even the Feds Reportedly Want to Know Why McDonald's Ice Cream Machines Are Always Broken

Drop Dead Fred

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2020
The video (which is from a different source than the article) says the real reason McDonald's ice cream machines are always broken is because they are deliberately designed that way, so they can make money by charging the franchise owners ridiculously high prices for repairs. Franchise owners are not allowed to use a different kind of machine that actually works. Their contract requires them to use this particular machine.

I think this is a violation of anti-trust. I hope the feds put an end to it.

Even the Feds Reportedly Want to Know Why McDonald's Ice Cream Machines Are Always Broken​

It's a running joke that McDonald's soft serve machines are always broken — but now this issue is, apparently, being taken seriously

September 2, 2021

By now, most people have become accustomed to the fact that the McFlurry machines at McDonald's are frequently out of order. There's even a "McBroken" map that can tell you whether your local McDonald's ice cream machine is working. But some McDonald's franchisees are tired of being the subject of social media roasts and they've taken the McFlurry problem into their own hands.

According to a report in the Wall Street Journal published Wednesday, the United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) reached out to McDonald's franchisees this summer to see what exactly is up with the soft serve machines. Owners of McDonald's have said that the McFlurry devices, which blend soft serve with add-ins such as M&M's to make a tasty frozen treat, are overly complicated and hard to fix when they break down.

The machines require a nightly automated heat cleaning cycle that can last up to four hours to destroy bacteria," according to the WSJ. Owners say the cleaning cycle can fail, making the machines unusable until a repair technician can get them going again.

I've noticed the same with shake machines.

I don't eat a lot of fast food but, when I do, I like to get a shake. My local Burger King has had a broken shake machine for the last two years...

You can't trust kids and illegal immigrants to be able to understand and carry out proper cleaning instructions of a devise like that....make your own shakes at home....

You can't trust kids and illegal immigrants to be able to understand and carry out proper cleaning instructions of a devise like that....make your own shakes at home....

Right, this would make me think if the mcshake machine is working it's probably not being cleaned...

Right, this would make me think if the mcshake machine is working it's probably not being cleaned...
That's why they shut them down...when the monthly food safety guy comes around...the ice cream and milk shake machines often do not pass the food safety test....did I say Monthly??? sometimes inspections get postponed for weeks...possibly making customers ill....

That's why they shut them down...when the monthly food safety guy comes around...the ice cream and milk shake machines often do not pass the food safety test....did I say Monthly??? sometimes inspections get postponed for weeks...possibly making customers ill....
Yeah, that's not it in this case. Nice drive by shooting, but watch the video and learn some new tricks.

Watching this should make you hesitant as well:

I worked in the food production industry as an electronic/electrician and I saw how they make that good shit they sell in rest. and grocery stores and I worked in the food service industry for a dozen years and I damn sure don't trust either.

Last edited:

:puke:

Out of the let's say 40 (I'm 46) years I've frequented McDonald's only once have I ever been told the ice creme machine is down and that was last year I think.

Food safety guys name is "the board of health". Every state has their own board of health inspectors.

Yeah, that's not it in this case. Nice drive by shooting, but watch the video and learn some new tricks.
I don't eat at McDonalds...its salty poison...so I don't really care about their ice cream machines enough to waste my time watching the video...but thanks anyway...

I don't recall ever getting ice cream at a McDs. I avoid the place as much as I can, but when I do get something from them it's ususally their nuggets....which are very tasty

Forum List

Back