Even democrats should like these republican demands for new speaker of the house....right?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
These are great demands from the Republicans for the next speaker....and they have the leverage to get them...

House leadership of both parties has increasingly centralized decision-making power around fewer and fewer individuals,” they wrote, “at the expense of deliberation and input by the body. This results in massive, multi-subject bills that are unable to be amended or fully read, all driven by supposedly must-pass defense and appropriations measures. In the process, we’ve amassed trillions of dollars in debt, empowered administration bureaucrats who target citizens, and failed to carry out our basic duties to defend the American People.”
-----------

They requested a return to single-subject bills and a period of 72 hours to examine final bill texts. “For too long under both parties, we have simply failed to do our most basic job to legislate in a responsible manner on behalf of our constituents,” the authors wrote.

These are great demands from the Republicans for the next speaker....and they have the leverage to get them...

House leadership of both parties has increasingly centralized decision-making power around fewer and fewer individuals,” they wrote, “at the expense of deliberation and input by the body. This results in massive, multi-subject bills that are unable to be amended or fully read, all driven by supposedly must-pass defense and appropriations measures. In the process, we’ve amassed trillions of dollars in debt, empowered administration bureaucrats who target citizens, and failed to carry out our basic duties to defend the American People.”
-----------

They requested a return to single-subject bills and a period of 72 hours to examine final bill texts. “For too long under both parties, we have simply failed to do our most basic job to legislate in a responsible manner on behalf of our constituents,” the authors wrote.

I'll believe this when I see it. Republican administrations and legislatures have benefited from these multi-subject bills. This isn't just a Democrat thing.
You would also be in danger of creating an administrative nightmare. More paperwork and a diverse group of people...all having different agendas.

Either way, the next two years in the House should be entertaining.

Our politicians have been paid by special interests to put no end of goodies in every bill that comes down the conveyor belt.

This is a bipartisan thing.

What the Republican House Speaker should commit himself to is reducing the amount of power concentrated at the federal level.

But you will never ever see our politicians voting away their gravy train.

I'll believe this when I see it. Republican administrations and legislatures have benefited from these multi-subject bills. This isn't just a Democrat thing.
You would also be in danger of creating an administrative nightmare. More paperwork and a diverse group of people...all having different agendas.

Both parties are thoroughly corrupt. The end.

Let's put this in perspective from a democrats point of view. I used to be one, so I know a little about what I'm talking about here.

When Ryan was speaker, democrats complained about not being able to offer Amendments on the House floor, because one of Ryans most corrupt rules (that he got from Pelosi) was that all amendments go through committee first. (which is code of lobbyist approval). So almost no amendments from democrats ever made it out of committee.
Some of the GOP members fought against Pelosi for the same reasons.
The House of Representatives didn't get a chance to vote on these amendments because they never made it out of committee.

This rule is one that these hold outs are trying to get abolished, because it's not fair for any representative, from any district, from either party. In fact it's wrong on so many levels.
Party politics as it is today, comes from corrupt rules like this, because it helps pit the parties against each other. If a good amendment is sent through a committee, that chaired by someone of the opposing party, they're going to vote it down and it'll never see the light of day. Especially if some lobbyist is against it.
Put it up for a vote on the House then the lobbyist don't have a say in it. And aren't going to be able to twist committee members arms to get it squashed.
And having the ability to publicly debate it on the house floor, allows for anyone to call out the other side for refusing to do something good for the American people. And it also gives members of congress the ability to bring to light the facts of a bad amendment. For example, an amendment that does nothing but benefit some lobbyist (and/or his corporation) it can publicly be exposed.

Last I checked, most democrat voters were against lobbyist as much as GOP voters. I'm neither a democrat or a Republican, and I'm against them.

So democrats, if you truly don't like lobbyist, why are you not supporting those republican who are trying to make things fair for everyone, and not just their party? Is it because it's the conservative wing of the REPUBLICAN party that's put this issue on the table?

Let's put this in perspective from a democrats point of view. I used to be one, so I know a little about what I'm talking about here.

When Ryan was speaker, democrats complained about not being able to offer Amendments on the House floor, because one of Ryans most corrupt rules (that he got from Pelosi) was that all amendments go through committee first. (which is code of lobbyist approval). So almost no amendments from democrats ever made it out of committee.
Some of the GOP members fought against Pelosi for the same reasons.
The House of Representatives didn't get a chance to vote on these amendments because they never made it out of committee.

This rule is one that these hold outs are trying to get abolished, because it's not fair for any representative, from any district, from either party. In fact it's wrong on so many levels.
Party politics as it is today, comes from corrupt rules like this, because it helps pit the parties against each other. If a good amendment is sent through a committee, that chaired by someone of the opposing party, they're going to vote it down and it'll never see the light of day. Especially if some lobbyist is against it.
Put it up for a vote on the House then the lobbyist don't have a say in it. And aren't going to be able to twist committee members arms to get it squashed.
And having the ability to publicly debate it on the house floor, allows for anyone to call out the other side for refusing to do something good for the American people. And it also gives members of congress the ability to bring to light the facts of a bad amendment. For example, an amendment that does nothing but benefit some lobbyist (and/or his corporation) it can publicly be exposed.

Last I checked, most democrat voters were against lobbyist as much as GOP voters. I'm neither a democrat or a Republican, and I'm against them.

So democrats, if you truly don't like lobbyist, why are you not supporting those republican who are trying to make things fair for everyone, and not just their party? Is it because it's the conservative wing of the REPUBLICAN party that's put this issue on the table?
The holdouts are asking for more seats on the Rules Committee. They are not seeking to abolish it. They want to have more power and therefore receive more cash from special interests.

-----------

The concessions definitely weaken the Republican speakers power. The decentralization of power is good for all. Hopefully the decentralization does not develop chaos within the congress.. But also negotiated was increased presence and power for the extreme right of the Republican party on all committees. The decentralization of power is resulting in excessive power of the extreme right minority.

The concessions definitely weaken the Republican speakers power. The decentralization of power is good for all. Hopefully the decentralization does not develop chaos within the congress.. But also negotiated was increased presence and power for the extreme right of the Republican party on all committees. The decentralization of power is resulting in excessive power of the extreme right minority.
"Excessive" representation? :p

Listen to this dumbass leftard bullshit. ^^^

Dumbass leftard, the reason we do NOT have a democracy is SPECIFICALLY so the minorities get representation.

As distinct from censorship by shit for brains Stalinist leftards.

Forum List

Back