EV charging

How many new nuke plants should we build to power all the new EVs?
Not as much as you might think and possibly none. We can mitigate the need for new power plants in two ways:
First, encouraging the placing of charging stations for electric vehicles in strategic ways, rather than letting them spring up anywhere, and setting up systems to initiate car charging at delayed times could potentially make all the difference.
Secondly, The capacity to handle EV charging is there, but to truly handle this new surge in EV grid demand, it will take planning on the part of utility companies across the U.S. Issues such billing as current crosses the grid, state limitation placed on power companies selling power to the grid are wasting a lot of our capacity.

Also, keep in mind power capacity will be increasing with more solar and wind electric production coming on line in coming decades. Thus many utilities will be facing stagnant or declining load growth. Electric vehicles represent a chance to reverse that trend.

Last edited:
Not as much as you might think and possibly none. We can mitigate the need for new power plants in two ways:
First, encouraging the placing of charging stations for electric vehicles in strategic ways, rather than letting them spring up anywhere, and setting up systems to initiate car charging at delayed times could potentially make all the difference.
Secondly, The capacity to handle EV charging is there, but to truly handle this new surge in EV grid demand, it will take planning on the part of utility companies across the U.S. Issues such billing as current crosses the grid, state limitation placed on power companies selling power to the grid are wasting a lot of our capacity.

Also, keep in mind power capacity will be increasing with more solar and wind electric production coming on line in coming decades. Thus many utilities will be facing stagnant or declining load growth. Electric vehicles represent a chance to reverse that trend.

Delayed times?
People coming home after work, plugging in their cars......with a few (or zero) hours of sunlight left.
Delaying charging until solar output drops to zero might not be helpful.

Yes, it can be done provided you have a significant solar array and are you're satisficed with level 1 charging. The thing about EV charging is that one size does not fit all. Some people drive so much each day that they really need level 2 charging and that is pretty hard to support with a home solar array.. Other people use their EV to drive to and from the grocery store and work which is just a few miles away. In this case, level 1 charging will probably work fine if there is a home solar array system that meet the power needs of the home and the EV charging is done at night.
Charge as much as you want, it should be law that it can only be plugged into solar and/or a windmill

Your post reminds me of an article written in 1910 outlining all the reasons that gasoline powered automobiles were just a passing fad. They were far too dangerous to horse drawn wagons and pedestrians. They were too difficult to start. There was not enough rubber for tires. The exhaust was lethal and smelly and the noise of the engines were intolerable. And worst of all, we didn't have the roads and highways built for autos and trucks. However, these problems were solved as America turned to gasoline powered vehicles. The same will be true for EVs.

Recycling plants for EV batteries exist now and more are being built. Researchers are changing key features of the lithium-ion battery to make an all-solid, or “solid-state battery,”. These batteries will be lighter, smaller, and faster charging. Researchers are working in the US and abroad to develope batteries in the lab that are more environmentally friendly. Just like the old gas powered vehicles, as the demand grows so will solutions to problems.

EV's will be the car of the future for a number of reasons:
  • They produce essential no green house gases or other matter harmful to the environment.
  • Unlike the delivery system for gasoline, the delivery of fuel for EVs uses the existing electrical system which does not produce pollutions nor greenhouse gases
  • EV's ability to convert fuel energy into motion is far more efficient than ICEs
  • Far less maintenance is required for EVs
  • Fuel cost is far less than ICEs
  • The efficiency and the cost of creation of fuel for EVs is cheaper with much less damage to the environment or climate.
  • Lastly EVs will make America energy independent.
I have no problem with EVs developed in the private sector and allowed to develop naturally as was the case with the automobile.

My problem is government forcing them on us, cramming them down our throats, using tax payer dollars to subsidize them without realizing any credible return on our investment.

If we're going to compare now with then, let's compare ALL of now with then.

Every time I see one of these ads pushing EVs and how much we'll save on fuel over time as well as save the planet, I think of these mines that are supplying the components for those super heavy and expensive EV batteries. And mind you the supply of those components is not unlimited by any means and we are almost entirely dependent on other countries for most of those materials and more that go into an EV battery:

Lithium Mine
a-lithium-mine-in-nevada-near-teslas-gigafactory.png

Cobalt Mine
file.jpg

Manganese mine
0000875717_resized_tshipiborwaspic11022.jpg

Nickel Mine
nickel-mine.jpg
There's no getting around the tremendous assault on environment just in the mining operations necessary to provide raw materials for manufacture of EV batteries.

A law should be brought out that you can only charge an Electric Vehicle from solar panels or from a windmill.

Otherwise EV owners are just pretending to "save" the planet from something.

Will they cope?

Can Solar Panels Charge an Electric Car or EV?

Keep in mind it takes several hours to several days to charge a car by solar. If you commute only one day a week, you're good to go. You need deep pockets to buy a property that you can park on to charge, plus the cost of a solar set up.
EXCEPT..
an increasing amount of our Grid Power is now Renewable as well. 13.6% (for just wind and solar)
and growing pretty quickly as new Renewable generation investment is booming, and has been 2/3 (2016) to 85% (2021) of New generation spending for the last 6 years.
ie.
Iowa is now 63% Wind and Solar. (should we forbid them from buying polluting ICE vehicles? :^))
S Dakota 54%,
Oklahoma 45%
Texas 28%. (need to check)

Informed Unbiased people avoid fallacies.
`

Last edited:
EXCEPT..
an increasing amount of our Grid Power is now Renewable as well. 13.6% (for just wind and solar)
and growing pretty quickly as new Renewable generation investment is booming, and has been 2/3 (2016) to 85% (2021) of New generation spending for the last 6 years.
ie.
Iowa is now 63% Wind and Solar. (should we forbid them from buying polluting ICE vehicles? :^))
S Dakota 54%,
Oklahoma 45%
Texas 28%. (need to check)

Informed Unbiased people avoid fallacies.
`
Stay on topic.

He is on topic.
He just didn't like his STUPID reasoning Busted and could not answer.
So he BLATANTLY LIED about me being off topic.
Unlike him coming into my threads with pure "libtard" "apu fuk" hostility, I do stay on topic.
I am here to post ON Topic. I wish we had a rule (actually we do) but there is NO enforcement whatsoever.

`

Last edited:

Delayed times?
People coming home after work, plugging in their cars......with a few (or zero) hours of sunlight left.
They are taking about load mana

Delayed times?
I was not specifically addressing charging vehicles in homes that have solar arrays. 96% of homes in the US do not run on solar. When excess energy is produced in these homes it is sold back to the local utility. When home owners do EV charging, the energy comes from the solar array and any additional energy needed comes from the local utility.

Federal and state funds are available to help defray the cost of installation of EV charging . The states get to decide the best way of doing that. In order to get maximum unitization of generating capacity, those funds should go to large multifamily complexes and business with many employees. This makes it easy for power companies to do load balancing when utilization approaches peaks.

Stay on topic.
EV's on the road are predicted to reach 30% by 2050. Much of the increased power demand for EV charging will be mitigated by solar and wind generation.

However, we may need to build more traditional power plants if the conversion to EVs is much faster than the conversion to wind and solar. But before we build more power plants there are ways to increase available capacity. We need to get all of our electric power plants on a grid. Currently, 35% of electric power plants are not on a grid. Second, state regulations puts limits on the amount of energy power plants can sell to a grid. Also management of the grid system needs to changed where power sold to a grid system can go wherever it is needed in the US. Load management by local power companies can delay new power plant construction.

Last edited:
I have no problem with EVs developed in the private sector and allowed to develop naturally as was the case with the automobile.

My problem is government forcing them on us, cramming them down our throats, using tax payer dollars to subsidize them without realizing any credible return on our investment.

If we're going to compare now with then, let's compare ALL of now with then.
There is no other way to get the country to EVs in a timely manner. The power of the oil companies , 10 million people whose jobs depend on petroleum, and millions of people who really aren't concerned about the effects of climate change makes the conversion to EVs impossible without government involvement.

There is no other way to get the country to EVs in a timely manner. The power of the oil companies , 10 million people whose jobs depend on petroleum, and millions of people who really aren't concerned about the effects of climate change makes the conversion to EVs impossible without government involvement.

There are NO effects from the Climate Hoax you dumb OX. The weather does whatever, no matter what BS Ketchup Kerry is feeding you. What a dope.

There is no reason to get the country to EVs in a timely manner and the government is far more likely to create great misery and problems for people doing it than it will make one whit difference in climate change.

Allowing the private sector and free trade to innovate, adapt, create, and produce to meet the wants and needs of the people has been the most effective, least painful, and more profitable solution for all since the inception of this country. Government was intended to serve the people, not dictate what the people must do.

They are taking about load mana

I was not specifically addressing charging vehicles in homes that have solar arrays. 96% of homes in the US do not run on solar. When excess energy is produced in these homes it is sold back to the local utility. When home owners do EV charging, the energy comes from the solar array and any additional energy needed comes from the local utility.

Federal and state funds are available to help defray the cost of installation of EV charging . The states get to decide the best way of doing that. In order to get maximum unitization of generating capacity, those funds should go to large multifamily complexes and business with many employees. This makes it easy for power companies to do load balancing when utilization approaches peaks.

When home owners do EV charging, the energy comes from the solar array and any additional energy needed comes from the local utility.

Not much comes from solar arrays after sunset.

There is no reason to get the country to EVs in a timely manner and the government is far more likely to create great misery and problems for people doing it than it will make one whit difference in climate change.

Allowing the private sector and free trade to innovate, adapt, create, and produce to meet the wants and needs of the people has been the most effective, least painful, and more profitable solution for all since the inception of this country. Government was intended to serve the people, not dictate what the people must do.
Converting to electric powered vehicles is a critical step toward reducing greenhouse gases and mitigating the effects climate change. If you don't agree with that statement there is no point in discussing whether goverment should be involved.

When home owners do EV charging, the energy comes from the solar array and any additional energy needed comes from the local utility.

Not much comes from solar arrays after sunset.
It is common to store the energy from solar arrays in batteries. Having a connection to the local electric utility is a great backup plus it gives you the ability to sell excess energy to the electric utility company

Here is how it typically works. Your home electric wiring is connected to two sources of energy, the solar array system which includes an inverter that converts dc from the solar array and the battery storage to ac current. Your home is also connected to the electric utility company. So when you're not using all the energy being produced by your solar array the electric utility buys the energy you are not using. When the days are short and the weather is bad your solar array may not be producing enough energy for your home so the energy you need flows into the house from the utility company and they charge you for it. This switching back and forth between your solar array and the power company is typically automatic.

Last edited:
It is common to store the energy from solar arrays in batteries. Having a connection to the local electric utility is a great backup plus it gives you the ability to sell excess energy to the electric utility company

Here is how it typically works. Your home electric wiring is connected to two sources of energy, the solar array system which includes an inverter that converts dc from the solar array and the battery storage to ac current. Your home is also connected to the electric utility company. So when you're not using all the energy being produced by your solar array the electric utility buys the energy you are not using. When the days are short and the weather is bad your solar array may not be producing enough energy for your home so the energy you need flows into the house from the utility company and they charge you for it. This switching back and forth between your solar array and the power company is typically automatic.

That doesn't mean there is more capacity in the system to charge millions of new
EVs at night when the owners get home from work.

That doesn't mean there is more capacity in the system to charge millions of new
EVs at night when the owners get home from work.
Actually, night is considered an off-peak time for electricity use. Not many people use electricity at night, other than for HVAC systems, once they go to sleep. So it is better time to charge EVs. However, in the the future there will be more people charging in the daytime with more charging stations at workplaces, public parking, and shopping centers. I suspect most people will still charge their vehicle at home at night. I suspect we will see she shopping centers offering 1hr free charging, etc.

Last edited:
Actually, night is considered an off-peak time for electricity use. Not many people use electricity at night, other than for HVAC systems, once they go to sleep. So it is better time to charge EVs. However, in the the future there will be more people charging in the daytime with more charging stations at workplaces, public parking, and shopping centers. I suspect most people will still charge their vehicle at home at night. I suspect we will see she shopping centers offering 1hr free charging, etc.

Actually, night is considered an off-peak time for electricity use.

That will probably change when everyone charges their EVs after work.
When solar is mostly off-line.

Forum List

Back