Zone1 "enslaved"

Hector12

Platinum Member
Feb 28, 2023

The enslaved artisan behind Thomas Jefferson’s newly restored Va. estate​

By J. Michael Welton
April 24, 2023, The Washington Post

BEDFORD COUNTY, Va. — When the first phase of the 34-year restoration of Poplar Forest, Thomas Jefferson’s private retreat in rural Virginia, is celebrated Friday, it will reveal more than the third U.S. president’s gifts as an architect.

It will also lift a veil on the complex relationship between Jefferson, who enslaved more than 600 people over the course of his life, and John Hemings, the finish carpenter who carried out his enslaver’s wishes in walnut, poplar and pine.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/hist...rweb&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=extension

-----------

Thomas Jefferson did not enslave anyone; he owned slaves. The slaves he owned he inherited, or he bought them, or they were born on his plantation to other slaves he owned.

Negroes were not enslaved by whites; they were enslaved by other Negroes in Africa who sold them to white slave traders. Until modern medicines were invented after slavery was ended in white countries by whites, African diseases made it dangerous and usually lethal for whites to enter the interior of Africa.

Nevertheless, I have noticed a convention among woke writers to refer to Negro slaves, not as slaves, but as people enslaved by those who owned them.

I do not quite understand the reason for the new convention, but because I am a non believer in the Woke Theology I shall continue to speak of Negro slaves, rather than persons enslaved by their masters.

They weren't "slaves." They were previously-unemployed Africans who no longer had to worry about neighboring tribes cannibalizing them or lions gnawing on their heads.

All modern-day African Americans should be thankful that after some Muslims rounded their ancestors, they were sent here instead of some shithole South American country.

Forum List

Back