Empirical Falsification Of the CAGW meme.

Yes ian, observed measured evidence...

what do you wan't more than every observation and measurement ever made?

The simple fact that their hypothesis works on every planet in the solar system with an atmosphere while the greenhouse hypothesis only works here if you allow an ad hoc fudge factor...how much more evidence do you need? And there is no greenhouse effect as described by climate science...never was..and never will be.

As per usual, you make a naked claim and refuse to back it up.

Whenever I try to get you to discuss the nuts and bolts you simply run away. I assume that you simply don't understand what is going on, but there is no reason why you couldn't learn more about it.

Ian...any hypothesis that doesn't work on any other planet with a solar system and only works here if you apply an ad hoc fudge factor is not worth discussing. What could you possibly say about a hypothesis that requires an ad hoc fudge factor in order to even be close? A hypothesis which has experienced predictive failure after predictive failure after predictive failure...Why would you even want to try to defend such a steaming pile? There is no greenhouse effect as described by climate science....period. If you want to discuss fiction, there are a whole universe of more interesting topics than the greenhouse effect as described by climate science...

If you were capable of real critical thought, it would take you about 2 seconds to discount such an obvious politicization of science for monetary gain and move on looking for someone promoting a hypothesis that works wherever it is tried.

I don't give a shit about political ramifications, I only care about figuring out what is happening.

I have repeatedly tried to engage you in a discussion about N&Z. There are a lot of interesting ideas there, with or without adding GHGs to the mix.

You keep asking me to defend the IPCC position when I have already stated I don't agree with it. They get water feedbacks wrong, they probably get convection wrong (remember the Pot Lid Hypothesis?)

What I am asking you to do is explain and defend your position. I will do the same. I find it hard to find my weaknesses without someone challenging my ideas and assumptions.

Probably you just don't understand the N&Z paper. Are you just parroting their ideas? On faith?

Your position is indefensible ian...As I said, if you want to discuss fiction, there is a universe of more interesting topics than the greenhouse effect....here have a look at some empirical evidence...

https://www.omicsonline.org/open-ac...ment-against-the-greenh-2157-7617-1000393.pdf

Clips:

The starting point of the here referenced research was the generally accepted greenhouse thesis which assumes that the present climate change is mainly due to the observed growing amount of the so-called greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, particularly of carbon-dioxide in spite of the fact that, unlike a greenhouse, the Earth atmosphere doesn’t exhibit a transparent roof … This [greenhouse effect] idea takes its source in Fourier’s treatise made in 1827, exhibiting no empirical data or physical calculations and experimental data.

The first results were delivered by Tyndall in the sixties of the 19th century, using artificial IR (= infrared) radiation. His photometric [light-measuring] apparatus consisted of metallic tubes as gas vessels and Leslie cubes as heat radiation sources, entailing comparatively low temperatures, namely 100°C and lower. In the [eighteen] nineties, Arrhenius continued such measurements. He established the greenhouse thesis claiming that, unlike air, carbon-dioxide considerably absorbs infrared-radiation. Thereby we distinguish between near IR (λ = 0.8 – 3μm), emitted at high temperatures (> 1000 K), and medium IR (λ = 3 – 50μm) occurring at lower temperatures as usual thermal radiation, while IR-radiation with larger wavelengths (λ = 50 – 1000μm) is defined as far IR.

[O]verall, the greenhouse thesis has been commonly settled even if[…] its empiric basis appears poor while several theoretical presumptions are speculative. … there is reason enough to examine the current climate theory, and in particular the greenhouse thesis, regarding fundamental scientific principles and possibly to question the usual assumptions.

The analytic methods applied in climatology were exclusively photometric [light-measuring] ones. … Thermal measurements have never been made, except those by pyranometers comprising the whole spectrum, so that direct coherences between light absorption and warming-up effects at matter have not been detected yet.

The natural laws which were used for constructing the theory were confined to the temperature law of Stefan-Boltzmann (1), Planck’s distribution law (2), both being solely valid for black bodies, and BeerLambert’s absorption law (3), being unequivocally valid solely for visible light, and not compellingly for IR radiation (see below). These laws were often impermissibly generalized and used in an incorrect way leading to wrong conclusions.

Questioning The CO2-IR-Warms-The-Atmosphere Assumption
[A]ccording to this [greenhouse theory] model the assumption is made that any warming-up of the atmosphere is exclusively due to a partial absorption of medium-wave IR-radiation while any short-wave IR-absorption can be excluded since it has never been detected spectrometrically.

Against this, at least the following [5] arguments may be alleged [just the 1st , 4th, and 5th arguments are included here in very condensed form]:

1. As already found within a previous investigation [12], the greater part – namely at least 60% – of the energy being emitted from a warmed plate to the surrounding atmosphere is transferred by heat conduction, and not by heat radiation [i.e., via the greenhouse effect] obeying Stefan-Boltzmann’s law which is only valid in the vacuum. That part is even enhanced when the air convection is enhanced. Moreover, near the ground the molar concentration of water vapour is much higher than that one of carbon dioxide letting assume that its absorbance of heat radiation is much stronger. (e.g. at 20°C and 60% rel. humidity, the molar concentration of water vapour is 36 times larger than that one of carbon-dioxide being 0.038 volume%). Hence it can be assumed that the major part of the heat transfer between Earth surface and atmosphere occurs near the ground while the greenhouse theory neglects that part solely regarding the radiative absorption by CO2 passing the whole atmosphere.

4. Between the energetic absorption of electromagnetic radiation by gases and their resulting warming-up no empirical – and also no
theoretical – coherence is known which would be needed to carry spectroscopic results onto thermodynamic properties. There is no good reason to assume that absorbed IR-radiation will be entirely transformed into heat. Rather it is conceivable that a part of it is re-emitted, to wit in all directions. But the link between the two phenomena is not known.

5. The question of radiation emission by hot gases is related with it since it is obvious that any gas, also air, begins to radiate to such an extent as it is warmed-up. This question arises when the so-called radiative energy transfer is studied. But instead of empiric measurements, complicated theories were developed [15-17] starting from the abstruse assumption that the atmosphere behaves like a black body obeying Stefan-Boltzmann’s emission law, and disregarding the kinetic gas

Overall it must be assessed that the atmospheric theory is on a shaky ground. widely missing empiric key methods to check the principles and their consequences.

Air Vs. CO2 Experiment: ‘The Final Proof That The Climate Theory Cannot Be True’
Beyond, there is an aspect which hitherto has been overlooked, and which delivers the final proof that the climate theory cannot be true. It is the topic of the here reported author’s work [Allmendinger, 2016] concerning thermal measurements instead of spectroscopic ones, and delivering the evidence that any gas absorbs IR-radiation – but in the short wavelength range -, with the consequence that air is warmed up by direct solar insolation – as well as by artificial IR-light – up to a limiting temperature due to radiative emission, and leading to an equilibrium state.

Preliminary tests for the present investigation were made with solar light using square twin-tubes from Styrofoam (3 cm thick, 1 m long, outer diameter 25 cm), each equipped with three thermometers at different positions, and covered above and below by a thin transparent foil (preferably a 0.01 mm thick Saran-wrap). The tubes were pivoted on a frame in such a way that they could be oriented in the direction of the solar light (Figure 3). One tube was filled with air, the other with carbon-dioxide. Incipiently, the tubes were covered on the tops with aluminium-foils being removed at the start of the experiment.

The primary experimental result was quite astonishing in many respects.

Firstly: The content gases warmed within a few minutes by approximately 10°C up to a constant limiting temperature. This was surprising – at least in the case of air – for no warming-up was anticipated since sunlight is colourless and allegedly not able to absorb any IR-radiation. However, the existence of a limiting temperature is conceivable since a growing radiative emission has to be expected as far as the temperature rises.

Secondly: The limiting temperatures were more or less equal at any measuring point. This means that the intensity of the sun beam was virtually not affected by the heat absorption in the gas tube since the latter one was comparatively weak.

And thirdly: Between the two tubes [one filled with air, the other with CO2] no significant difference could be detected. Therefore, thanks to this simple experiment a special effect of carbon dioxide on the direct sunlight absorption could already be excluded.

As evident from Figure 8, any gas absorbs IR-light – even the noble [non-greenhouse] gases argon, neon and helium do so – while there is no significant difference between argon and carbon dioxide, but only a small difference between carbon-dioxide and air.

CO2-Experiment-Air-Inert-Gases-Vs-CO2.jpg

Conclusion/Summary
Besides a critical discussion of the convenient atmosphere theory profoundly questioning the greenhouse thesis by disclosing several basic errors, the here reported investigation reveals the discovery of direct absorption of shortwave IR-radiation by air. It is part of the incident solar light, but also of artificial light which enables a more exact detection. It is caused by another effect than the one which is responsible for the longer-wave absorption being observed at carbon dioxide, and it is not detectable by IR-spectroscopy since its absorption coefficient is too low. However, it is clearly detectable by means of the here applied apparatus leading to a distinct temperature elevation up to a limiting temperature which depends on the radiative emission. The limiting temperature depends on the gas kind, whereby practically no difference between air and carbon-dioxide could be found.

Nevertheless, that direct absorption effect [shortwave] which was discovered thanks to this method probably contributes significantly to the warming up of the atmosphere while the warming-up due to carbon-dioxide can be neglected.

But since the direct absorption cannot be influenced, the surface albedo must be focused as the governing factor providing the only [anthropogenic] opportunity to mitigate the climate, or at least the microclimate, by changing colour and structure of the surface, particularly in urban areas. However, a prediction seems not feasible since the global climate is too complex. But the greenhouse theory turns out to be a phantasm delivering the wrong diagnosis for the climate change, and a wrong diagnosis cannot enable a healing.

Are you now spamming the board with the same long cut and paste?

Pick a topic, explain your point, add the link to buttress your position.

Ian: Answer the damn question and quit dodging!

"The limiting temperature depends on the gas kind, whereby practically no difference between air and carbon-dioxide could be found."

IF air has the same ability as CO2 and there is no discernible difference then O2 is warmed by LWIR also and CO2's affect is diminished by 85-97%.

Your "heat retention mechanism" is shown to be a unicorn fart by empirically observed and quantified experiment!

Atmospheric thermal effect

Sure. That is what I want you to explain, preferably in your own words so that I can tell if you understand what is going on.

Read N&Z...they describe the mechanics...and no...I am not playing your "do you understand games" I understand well enough to keep you backed into a corner attempting to defend your magical CO2 fantasy every day of your life...Do you think it is just coincidence that I keep slapping your models down with the very arguments that you can't defend against? Are you that f'ing arrogant? The fact is, ian, that I have a better gasp on the whole topic than you...the evidence being that I don't buy it while you are still a hoodwinked believer even though the empirical evidence says that you are wrong.

Sure. That is what I want you to explain, preferably in your own words so that I can tell if you understand what is going on.

Read N&Z...they describe the mechanics...and no...I am not playing your "do you understand games" I understand well enough to keep you backed into a corner attempting to defend your magical CO2 fantasy every day of your life...Do you think it is just coincidence that I keep slapping your models down with the very arguments that you can't defend against? Are you that f'ing arrogant? The fact is, ian, that I have a better gasp on the whole topic than you...the evidence being that I don't buy it while you are still a hoodwinked believer even though the empirical evidence says that you are wrong.

Why are you so afraid of writing down a few paragraphs describing how an atmosphere warms up the average surface temperature of a planet?

I don't expect, or even want you to add water into the explanation because that would just add unneeded complexity. Just describe the daytime and nighttime energy flows without putting numerical values to them. Should be a piece of cake for someone as knowledgeable as you.

As per usual, you make a naked claim and refuse to back it up.

Whenever I try to get you to discuss the nuts and bolts you simply run away. I assume that you simply don't understand what is going on, but there is no reason why you couldn't learn more about it.

Ian...any hypothesis that doesn't work on any other planet with a solar system and only works here if you apply an ad hoc fudge factor is not worth discussing. What could you possibly say about a hypothesis that requires an ad hoc fudge factor in order to even be close? A hypothesis which has experienced predictive failure after predictive failure after predictive failure...Why would you even want to try to defend such a steaming pile? There is no greenhouse effect as described by climate science....period. If you want to discuss fiction, there are a whole universe of more interesting topics than the greenhouse effect as described by climate science...

If you were capable of real critical thought, it would take you about 2 seconds to discount such an obvious politicization of science for monetary gain and move on looking for someone promoting a hypothesis that works wherever it is tried.

I don't give a shit about political ramifications, I only care about figuring out what is happening.

I have repeatedly tried to engage you in a discussion about N&Z. There are a lot of interesting ideas there, with or without adding GHGs to the mix.

You keep asking me to defend the IPCC position when I have already stated I don't agree with it. They get water feedbacks wrong, they probably get convection wrong (remember the Pot Lid Hypothesis?)

What I am asking you to do is explain and defend your position. I will do the same. I find it hard to find my weaknesses without someone challenging my ideas and assumptions.

Probably you just don't understand the N&Z paper. Are you just parroting their ideas? On faith?

Your position is indefensible ian...As I said, if you want to discuss fiction, there is a universe of more interesting topics than the greenhouse effect....here have a look at some empirical evidence...

https://www.omicsonline.org/open-ac...ment-against-the-greenh-2157-7617-1000393.pdf

Clips:

The starting point of the here referenced research was the generally accepted greenhouse thesis which assumes that the present climate change is mainly due to the observed growing amount of the so-called greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, particularly of carbon-dioxide in spite of the fact that, unlike a greenhouse, the Earth atmosphere doesn’t exhibit a transparent roof … This [greenhouse effect] idea takes its source in Fourier’s treatise made in 1827, exhibiting no empirical data or physical calculations and experimental data.

The first results were delivered by Tyndall in the sixties of the 19th century, using artificial IR (= infrared) radiation. His photometric [light-measuring] apparatus consisted of metallic tubes as gas vessels and Leslie cubes as heat radiation sources, entailing comparatively low temperatures, namely 100°C and lower. In the [eighteen] nineties, Arrhenius continued such measurements. He established the greenhouse thesis claiming that, unlike air, carbon-dioxide considerably absorbs infrared-radiation. Thereby we distinguish between near IR (λ = 0.8 – 3μm), emitted at high temperatures (> 1000 K), and medium IR (λ = 3 – 50μm) occurring at lower temperatures as usual thermal radiation, while IR-radiation with larger wavelengths (λ = 50 – 1000μm) is defined as far IR.

[O]verall, the greenhouse thesis has been commonly settled even if[…] its empiric basis appears poor while several theoretical presumptions are speculative. … there is reason enough to examine the current climate theory, and in particular the greenhouse thesis, regarding fundamental scientific principles and possibly to question the usual assumptions.

The analytic methods applied in climatology were exclusively photometric [light-measuring] ones. … Thermal measurements have never been made, except those by pyranometers comprising the whole spectrum, so that direct coherences between light absorption and warming-up effects at matter have not been detected yet.

The natural laws which were used for constructing the theory were confined to the temperature law of Stefan-Boltzmann (1), Planck’s distribution law (2), both being solely valid for black bodies, and BeerLambert’s absorption law (3), being unequivocally valid solely for visible light, and not compellingly for IR radiation (see below). These laws were often impermissibly generalized and used in an incorrect way leading to wrong conclusions.

[A]ccording to this [greenhouse theory] model the assumption is made that any warming-up of the atmosphere is exclusively due to a partial absorption of medium-wave IR-radiation while any short-wave IR-absorption can be excluded since it has never been detected spectrometrically.

Against this, at least the following [5] arguments may be alleged [just the 1st , 4th, and 5th arguments are included here in very condensed form]:

1. As already found within a previous investigation [12], the greater part – namely at least 60% – of the energy being emitted from a warmed plate to the surrounding atmosphere is transferred by heat conduction, and not by heat radiation [i.e., via the greenhouse effect] obeying Stefan-Boltzmann’s law which is only valid in the vacuum. That part is even enhanced when the air convection is enhanced. Moreover, near the ground the molar concentration of water vapour is much higher than that one of carbon dioxide letting assume that its absorbance of heat radiation is much stronger. (e.g. at 20°C and 60% rel. humidity, the molar concentration of water vapour is 36 times larger than that one of carbon-dioxide being 0.038 volume%). Hence it can be assumed that the major part of the heat transfer between Earth surface and atmosphere occurs near the ground while the greenhouse theory neglects that part solely regarding the radiative absorption by CO2 passing the whole atmosphere.

4. Between the energetic absorption of electromagnetic radiation by gases and their resulting warming-up no empirical – and also no
theoretical – coherence is known which would be needed to carry spectroscopic results onto thermodynamic properties. There is no good reason to assume that absorbed IR-radiation will be entirely transformed into heat. Rather it is conceivable that a part of it is re-emitted, to wit in all directions. But the link between the two phenomena is not known.

5. The question of radiation emission by hot gases is related with it since it is obvious that any gas, also air, begins to radiate to such an extent as it is warmed-up. This question arises when the so-called radiative energy transfer is studied. But instead of empiric measurements, complicated theories were developed [15-17] starting from the abstruse assumption that the atmosphere behaves like a black body obeying Stefan-Boltzmann’s emission law, and disregarding the kinetic gas

Overall it must be assessed that the atmospheric theory is on a shaky ground. widely missing empiric key methods to check the principles and their consequences.

Air Vs. CO2 Experiment: ‘The Final Proof That The Climate Theory Cannot Be True’
Beyond, there is an aspect which hitherto has been overlooked, and which delivers the final proof that the climate theory cannot be true. It is the topic of the here reported author’s work [Allmendinger, 2016] concerning thermal measurements instead of spectroscopic ones, and delivering the evidence that any gas absorbs IR-radiation – but in the short wavelength range -, with the consequence that air is warmed up by direct solar insolation – as well as by artificial IR-light – up to a limiting temperature due to radiative emission, and leading to an equilibrium state.

Preliminary tests for the present investigation were made with solar light using square twin-tubes from Styrofoam (3 cm thick, 1 m long, outer diameter 25 cm), each equipped with three thermometers at different positions, and covered above and below by a thin transparent foil (preferably a 0.01 mm thick Saran-wrap). The tubes were pivoted on a frame in such a way that they could be oriented in the direction of the solar light (Figure 3). One tube was filled with air, the other with carbon-dioxide. Incipiently, the tubes were covered on the tops with aluminium-foils being removed at the start of the experiment.

Firstly: The content gases warmed within a few minutes by approximately 10°C up to a constant limiting temperature. This was surprising – at least in the case of air – for no warming-up was anticipated since sunlight is colourless and allegedly not able to absorb any IR-radiation. However, the existence of a limiting temperature is conceivable since a growing radiative emission has to be expected as far as the temperature rises.

Secondly: The limiting temperatures were more or less equal at any measuring point. This means that the intensity of the sun beam was virtually not affected by the heat absorption in the gas tube since the latter one was comparatively weak.

And thirdly: Between the two tubes [one filled with air, the other with CO2] no significant difference could be detected. Therefore, thanks to this simple experiment a special effect of carbon dioxide on the direct sunlight absorption could already be excluded.

As evident from Figure 8, any gas absorbs IR-light – even the noble [non-greenhouse] gases argon, neon and helium do so – while there is no significant difference between argon and carbon dioxide, but only a small difference between carbon-dioxide and air.

Conclusion/Summary
Besides a critical discussion of the convenient atmosphere theory profoundly questioning the greenhouse thesis by disclosing several basic errors, the here reported investigation reveals the discovery of direct absorption of shortwave IR-radiation by air. It is part of the incident solar light, but also of artificial light which enables a more exact detection. It is caused by another effect than the one which is responsible for the longer-wave absorption being observed at carbon dioxide, and it is not detectable by IR-spectroscopy since its absorption coefficient is too low. However, it is clearly detectable by means of the here applied apparatus leading to a distinct temperature elevation up to a limiting temperature which depends on the radiative emission. The limiting temperature depends on the gas kind, whereby practically no difference between air and carbon-dioxide could be found.

Nevertheless, that direct absorption effect [shortwave] which was discovered thanks to this method probably contributes significantly to the warming up of the atmosphere while the warming-up due to carbon-dioxide can be neglected.

But since the direct absorption cannot be influenced, the surface albedo must be focused as the governing factor providing the only [anthropogenic] opportunity to mitigate the climate, or at least the microclimate, by changing colour and structure of the surface, particularly in urban areas. However, a prediction seems not feasible since the global climate is too complex. But the greenhouse theory turns out to be a phantasm delivering the wrong diagnosis for the climate change, and a wrong diagnosis cannot enable a healing.

"The limiting temperature depends on the gas kind, whereby practically no difference between air and carbon-dioxide could be found."

IF air has the same ability as CO2 and there is no discernible difference then O2 is warmed by LWIR also and CO2's affect is diminished by 85-97%.

Your "heat retention mechanism" is shown to be a unicorn fart by empirically observed and quantified experiment!

You know, I have no problem with experiments done with styrofoam boxes, Saran wrap and terrarium heat lamps.

I kinda draw the line when the experimenter claims to have found a new thermal effect though.

This wasn't the article I thought it was, but it does suffer from similar flaws.

CO2 absorbs three bands of IR, and we are primarily concerned with the 15 micron because it is only absorbed by CO2 and it is produced in significant amounts by the surface. Solar radiation hitting the surface has no 15 micron radiation. Incandescent light bulbs have very little. So called IR heat lamps might have more but it is still a small percentage of the total energy being emitted.

So I wonder why so many people are so sure CO2 doesn't warm the air when they are using a radiation source that CO2 can't absorb.

Why are you so afraid of writing down a few paragraphs describing how an atmosphere warms up the average surface temperature of a planet?

I don't expect, or even want you to add water into the explanation because that would just add unneeded complexity. Just describe the daytime and nighttime energy flows without putting numerical values to them. Should be a piece of cake for someone as knowledgeable as you.

Tell you what ian..you read N&Z and let me know what you don't understand and I will help you out.

Clips:

Conclusion/Summary

You know, I have no problem with experiments done with styrofoam boxes, Saran wrap and terrarium heat lamps.

I kinda draw the line when the experimenter claims to have found a new thermal effect though.

This wasn't the article I thought it was, but it does suffer from similar flaws.

CO2 absorbs three bands of IR, and we are primarily concerned with the 15 micron because it is only absorbed by CO2 and it is produced in significant amounts by the surface. Solar radiation hitting the surface has no 15 micron radiation. Incandescent light bulbs have very little. So called IR heat lamps might have more but it is still a small percentage of the total energy being emitted.

So I wonder why so many people are so sure CO2 doesn't warm the air when they are using a radiation source that CO2 can't absorb.

Ian, can you kindly provide us with a single observed, measured piece of evidence, made with an instrument at ambient temperature which establishes a coherent relationship between IR being absorbed by a gas and warming in the atmosphere? Just one?...I didn't think so. All you can provide is your faith.

Tell you what ian..you read N&Z and let me know what you don't understand and I will help you out.

Okay, I read it. It fails to give any details about how the atmosphere stops the surface from getting bitterly cold at night or blazingly hot in the daytime. What is your explanation?

Ian, can you kindly provide us with a single observed, measured piece of evidence, made with an instrument at ambient temperature which establishes a coherent relationship between IR being absorbed by a gas and warming in the atmosphere? Just one?...I didn't think so. All you can provide is your faith

A CO2 laser emits a stream of 10 micron radiation. That is in the Atmospheric Window where there is little reactivity to air molecules. Occasionally, some particle will drift into the beam and explode, sending out a flash of light and a noise. The air around it will have warmed considerably.

Presumably you could manufacture a laser that produced 15 micron radiation. But what usefulness would it have? The energy would be dissapated by interacting with CO2 molecules in the air, like the dust motes in the previous example.

Okay, I read it. It fails to give any details about how the atmosphere stops the surface from getting bitterly cold at night or blazingly hot in the daytime. What is your explanation?

Actually, it does. Sorry you missed it...Try actually reading it rather than simply saying that you read it. You might read this paper as well..

https://www.omicsonline.org/open-ac...-an-Empirical-Planetary-Temperature-Model.pdf

I am not interested in playing reality against your models...N&Z's hypothesis works every were it is tried and does not require an ad hoc fudge factor...your models don't work anywhere but here and only if you apply said ad hoc fudge factor...why you would want to defend such rubbish is beyond me...is your belief in the magic of CO2 so strong that you are willing to drag your intellect through the sewer in an attempt to defend something that doesn't even exist?

Last edited:
Ian, can you kindly provide us with a single observed, measured piece of evidence, made with an instrument at ambient temperature which establishes a coherent relationship between IR being absorbed by a gas and warming in the atmosphere? Just one?...I didn't think so. All you can provide is your faith

A CO2 laser emits a stream of 10 micron radiation. That is in the Atmospheric Window where there is little reactivity to air molecules. Occasionally, some particle will drift into the beam and explode, sending out a flash of light and a noise. The air around it will have warmed considerably.

Presumably you could manufacture a laser that produced 15 micron radiation. But what usefulness would it have? The energy would be dissapated by interacting with CO2 molecules in the air, like the dust motes in the previous example.

So that is what is happening in the atmosphere? Exploding molecules? That hardly describes absorption and emission in the atmosphere...face it ian...once more, you have nothing but models...models all the way down...and your faith...goody for you. And I am just sitting here, secure in the observed evidence and physical laws, laughing at your attempt to defend your faith with models.

So that is what is happening in the atmosphere? Exploding molecules? That hardly describes absorption and emission in the atmosphere...face it ian...once more, you have nothing but models...models all the way down...and your faith...goody for you. And I am just sitting here, secure in the observed evidence and physical laws, laughing at your attempt to defend your faith with models.

Do you ever try to comprehend the points I make? Why do I have to spell everything out in detail while you make no attempt to explain any of your naked claims?

The laser produces collimated single wavelength radiation. Put a tube around the beam. Evacuate the tube and you will get a baseline reading. Fill the tube with air and you can measure how much radiation is absorbed, a small amount because air has a low absorption rate for 10 micron IR. Then add dust which does absorb 10 micron IR. Less radiation gets through and the air will be warmed by passive distribution of heat from the dust absorbing the radiation.

I am not saying CO2 molecules would explode if the laser was emitting 15 micron IR but it would certainly absorb some of it, and pass that energy off to the other constituents of the air.

Are you really that stupid that you need every line drawn out for you in a game of connect-the-dots before you recognize the picture?

The surface emits 15 micron radiation. CO2 in the air absorbs it. Molecular collision sequesters it as alternate forms of stored energy. It can only start escaping at cold rarified heights in the atmosphere. There is a deficit between what goes in at the warm surface and what comes out at the cold emission height.

That deficit warms the atmosphere, which warms the surface by reducing conduction heat loss. Equilibrium is restored because the warmer surface pushes more energy out through the Atmospheric Window.

You can huff and puff all you want about how convection powered by the water cycle is a more effective mover of energy in the lower atmosphere. But energy only leaves the planet by radiation.

I read that reference in detail. Author's quotes are boldfaced.

The author uses curve-fitting models. The word model occurs 152 times throughout the text.

Thus, our working hypothesis was that a general physical model should exist...

He uses 7 physical variables to define a set of 12 dimensionless variables, as would be required in empirical dimensional analysis, and engages them as models (see Table 5.)

Based on the current state of knowledge we identified seven physical variables of potential relevance to the global surface temperature
The second step of DA (after the construction of dimensionless products) is to search for a functional relationship between the [12] variables of each set using regression analysis.
The following four-parameter exponential-growth function was found to best meet our criteria:
y = a exp(bx) + c exp(dx)

In short, the author defined a menu of 12 dimensionless variables to be used to compute 4 parameters to fit the data from 6 planets. That kind of empirical liberty makes good curve-fitting an almost certainty.

After heuristically fitting curves he gets to the physical significance of the formulas starting at the bottom of page 11. He finds a close similarity to the adiabatic Poisson formula derived from the ideal gas law. However his conclusion is quite limited according to his statement,

while qualitatively similar, Equations (10a) [the author's curve fit] and (13) [Poisson formula] are quantitatively rather different. . . .[they] describe qualitatively very similar responses in quantitatively vastly different systems.

His results, (equation 10a) could neither be analytically deduced from known physical laws nor accurately simulated in a small-scale experiment.​

That is to say it is unreproducable, and unphysical.

His conclusion: To our knowledge, this is the first model accurately describing the average surface temperatures of planetary bodies throughout the Solar System

I would word it that his model fits the 5 planet data points rather well, but has no further significance. His further conclusions sort of renege his disclaimer of physical significance and more directly relates it to Poisson's formula. Go figure.

The author is quite knowledgeable about physics except for one thing: adiabatic systems are very fleeting in nature and have no long term effect. I have no quarrel with his mathematical technique - what he did and how he did it - but I do think his rampant use of fudge factors in his curve fitting effort did not carry much significance, and as he admits, his result is vastly different than what he physically attempted to show.

I read that reference in detail. Author's quotes are boldfaced.

The author uses curve-fitting models. The word model occurs 152 times throughout the text.

Thus, our working hypothesis was that a general physical model should exist...

He uses 7 physical variables to define a set of 12 dimensionless variables, as would be required in empirical dimensional analysis, and engages them as models (see Table 5.)

Based on the current state of knowledge we identified seven physical variables of potential relevance to the global surface temperature
The second step of DA (after the construction of dimensionless products) is to search for a functional relationship between the [12] variables of each set using regression analysis.
The following four-parameter exponential-growth function was found to best meet our criteria:
y = a exp(bx) + c exp(dx)

In short, the author defined a menu of 12 dimensionless variables to be used to compute 4 parameters to fit the data from 6 planets. That kind of empirical liberty makes good curve-fitting an almost certainty.

After heuristically fitting curves he gets to the physical significance of the formulas starting at the bottom of page 11. He finds a close similarity to the adiabatic Poisson formula derived from the ideal gas law. However his conclusion is quite limited according to his statement,

while qualitatively similar, Equations (10a) [the author's curve fit] and (13) [Poisson formula] are quantitatively rather different. . . .[they] describe qualitatively very similar responses in quantitatively vastly different systems.

His results, (equation 10a) could neither be analytically deduced from known physical laws nor accurately simulated in a small-scale experiment.​

That is to say it is unreproducable, and unphysical.

His conclusion: To our knowledge, this is the first model accurately describing the average surface temperatures of planetary bodies throughout the Solar System

I would word it that his model fits the 5 planet data points rather well, but has no further significance. His further conclusions sort of renege his disclaimer of physical significance and more directly relates it to Poisson's formula. Go figure.

The author is quite knowledgeable about physics except for one thing: adiabatic systems are very fleeting in nature and have no long term effect. I have no quarrel with his mathematical technique - what he did and how he did it - but I do think his rampant use of fudge factors in his curve fitting effort did not carry much significance, and as he admits, his result is vastly different than what he physically attempted to show.

Isn't it odd the way SSDD judges models he likes compared to models he doesn't like? I don't think he even realizes the extent of his double standards.

Are you really that stupid that you need every line drawn out for you in a game of connect-the-dots before you recognize the picture?

Quite the contrary ian...I see exactly what you are saying...and see that it does not constitute any evidence whatsoever in support of the claim of a coherent relationship between the absorption and emission of IR by a gas and warming in the atmosphere...That is what I asked you for and since there is no such evidence, you drag lasers into the discussion as if that would be a good analog for energy passing through the atmosphere.

And how many variables do you think drive the climate?

short, the author defined a menu of 12 dimensionless variables to be used to compute 4 parameters to fit the data from 6 planets. That kind of empirical liberty makes good curve-fitting an almost certainty.
Not at all...if you apply the formulae used for the international standard temperature, you also get a damned good fit for every planet in the solar system with an atmosphere at 1 atmosphere....this tells us that the composition of the atmosphere has very little to do with the climate beyond the contribution of its mass.

Sorry guy, but you are just terribly misinformed and a top shelf dupe to boot.

Mods: Please move this thread to the "Conspiracy Theory" section.

they think we should ignore actual climate scientists and listen to some hack on the inter webs.

I have been asking for decades for just two pieces of evidence that should exist in abundance if the man made climate change hypothesis has any merit at all...thus far, no such evidence has appeared...I have looked, I have asked, and it just doesn't exist. It isn't as if I am asking for overwhelming evidence, or a mountain of proof...I am just asking for two pieces of actual evidence. Maybe you can provide them, but my bet is that you can't...further I would wager that the fact that you can't provide such fundamental pieces of evidence to the manmade climate change hypothesis doesn't prompt you to ask why they don't exist or apply that question to climate science in general.

1. I would like a single piece of observed, measured, quantified evidence that supports the AGW hypothesis over natural variability.

2. I would like a single piece of observed, measured evidence made with an instrument at ambient temperature which establishes a coherent relationship between the absorption of infrared radiation by a gas and warming in the atmosphere.

Now if the hypothesis had any merit at all, after all the money that has been spent, data of that sort should exist in abundance...there should be mountains of it...and yet, not the first piece of either exists. How is it, that lacking such fundamental data, you believe the hypothesis, or climate science has any credibility at all?..just because people whom you perceive as smarter than you tell you to trust them?

And how many variables do you think drive the climate?

short, the author defined a menu of 12 dimensionless variables to be used to compute 4 parameters to fit the data from 6 planets. That kind of empirical liberty makes good curve-fitting an almost certainty.
Not at all...if you apply the formulae used for the international standard temperature, you also get a damned good fit for every planet in the solar system with an atmosphere at 1 atmosphere....this tells us that the composition of the atmosphere has very little to do with the climate beyond the contribution of its mass.

Sorry guy, but you are just terribly misinformed and a top shelf dupe to boot.
My goal was to look at the alternate view of the paper you cited and understand where the author was coming from. You didn't understand the simplest gist of the paper but still thought it might prove a point you wanted.

Isn't it odd the way SSDD judges models he likes compared to models he doesn't like? I don't think he even realizes the extent of his double standards.
Very early on I would have thought it very odd, but having seen how his mind works, it no longer surprises me to what lengths he would lie, bluff, misunderstand, and swear at others on this forum.

Double standards? I don't think he has any standards.

Forum List

Back