Electoral College. Just why?

Yes, but the electoral college does not have to follow the popular vote.....

Correct.

Bingo, we have a winner.

There is absolutely no directive in the US Constitution where it is written that the electors of any given state must cast their elector-ballots based on the popular vote results of their state. But the tradition, a good one, I might add, has been so strong since it started in part of the country in 1824, that I doubt that any state would ever try to go against it.

The United States is the only country that elects a politically powerful president via an electoral college and the only one in which a candidate can become president without having obtained the highest number of votes in the sole or final round of popular voting.
—George C. Edwards, 2011

Why do we need to stick to outdated legislation when it comes to one of the most important political decisions in the life of the whole country? Why not popular vote? We believe in equality and democracy but for some reason let somebody decide the fate of of this country for us.
Here we go with this same old bullshit again. Try to pass an amendment; Iowa, Wyoming and other small population States will vote "fuck you, we're not giving up our representation."

Since the idea of electing a presidential ticket per electors is enshrined in the US Constitution, the only way to get rid of it is either per amendment, or a brand new Constitution per Constitutional Convention.

The interstate compact is the best idea out there to neutralize the EC without having to actually undo it per amendment.

I am not for abolishing the EC, but I am for mending it.

And were the USA to some day decide to do away with the EC, then I would hope they would use an electoral jungle system like, Louisiana's, where if on election night, the winner doesn't get to 50% +1 vote, then a runoff between the top-two vote getters would be mandated. In this way, the winner would always end up with a clear majority.

Thus, we remain saddled with a dusty, musty holdover from the dim past.

The United States is the only country that elects a politically powerful president via an electoral college and the only one in which a candidate can become president without having obtained the highest number of votes in the sole or final round of popular voting.
—George C. Edwards, 2011

Why do we need to stick to outdated legislation when it comes to one of the most important political decisions in the life of the whole country? Why not popular vote? We believe in equality and democracy but for some reason let somebody decide the fate of of this country for us.
It's beyond me, other than maybe one side believing that it gives an advantage. In my opinion, it should be by popular vote. Also, it's believed that the higher the population of a state, the more votes that state deserves. It's almost like saying that the citizens in California deserve more say in government than those that live in North Dakota. Equal representation should mean exactly that, no exceptions. In my opinion, the whole political process is screwed up.
You want it because a fucking liberal Santa Claus will win every election. Obama won under the Electoral System. The system works.

[QUOTEAnd were the USA to some day decide to do away with the EC, then I would hope they would use an electoral jungle system like, Louisiana's, where if on election night, the winner doesn't get to 50% +1 vote, then a runoff between the top-two vote getters would be mandated. In this way, the winner would always end up with a clear majority.[/QUOTE]
While the reasoning here is understood, personal observation has shown that this practice has assured France of two wrong presidents in recent elections.

—George C. Edwards, 2011

It's beyond me, other than maybe one side believing that it gives an advantage. In my opinion, it should be by popular vote. Also, it's believed that the higher the population of a state, the more votes that state deserves. It's almost like saying that the citizens in California deserve more say in government than those that live in North Dakota. Equal representation should mean exactly that, no exceptions. In my opinion, the whole political process is screwed up.
You want it because a fucking liberal Santa Claus will win every election. Obama won under the Electoral System. The system works.
I don't want it, no way. I'm all for popular vote counting. Also, I couldn't care less about a Liberal, Conservative, Moderate, Democrat, Republican, or any other phony misleading unpatriotic label. Obama won because idiots elected him, plain and simple.

Santa Claus ?? Damn ........ and I thought he came in December..... and election day is in November ..... Geeee ... I've been misinformed, obviously.

Since the idea of electing a presidential ticket per electors is enshrined in the US Constitution, the only way to get rid of it is either per amendment, or a brand new Constitution per Constitutional Convention.

The interstate compact is the best idea out there to neutralize the EC without having to actually undo it per amendment.

And were the USA to some day decide to do away with the EC, then I would hope they would use an electoral jungle system like, Louisiana's, where if on election night, the winner doesn't get to 50% +1 vote, then a runoff between the top-two vote getters would be mandated. In this way, the winner would always end up with a clear majority.
Never mind a liberal state can drop out of the compact if a conservative looks like they could win. Another bullshit run around the constitution. Even a democrat governor said "fuck you" when they tried to pass that in Iowa.

Never mind a liberal state can drop out of the compact if a conservative looks like they could win. Another bullshit run around the constitution. Even a democrat governor said "fuck you" when they tried to pass that in Iowa.

Uhm, no. Your facts are not in order.

I covered all of this about 17 months ago:

Electioneering US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

(posting no. 3 pertains to the Presidency)

Get an initiative for a Constitutional Amendment going or SHUT THE FUCK UP about this!!

God DAMN but dimocraps are not only stupid but tediously so

Get an initiative for a Constitutional Amendment going or SHUT THE FUCK UP about this!!

Listen .... It's not as bad as it may seem ......... we can fix this ... really, we can ............. Look, go take two aspirins, sit down and relax, and just forget about everything for a couple of hours ......................... besides, things always seem worse than they really are .......... remember, you're not alone, we're all friends here .....

Listen .... It's not as bad as it may seem ......... we can fix this ... really, we can ............. Look, go take two aspirins, sit down and relax, and just forget about everything for a couple of hours ......................... besides, things always seem worse than they really are .......... remember, you're not alone, we're all friends here .....

[emoji38]

His PMS sets in about every 45 seconds...

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

The one advantage to the EC, as we call it (it is not referred to as the "Electoral College" anywhere in the US Constitition), is that it discourages too many worthless little splinter-parties.

It is not up to you to decide who is good enough to get votes. That's what democracy is all about. Third party, either necessary or not, deserves equal representation. This is what democracy is all about. Of course current system is advantageous to existing political order. Additional competition is always good.

The one advantage to the EC, as we call it (it is not referred to as the "Electoral College" anywhere in the US Constitition), is that it discourages too many worthless little splinter-parties.

It is not up to you to decide who is good enough to get votes. That's what democracy is all about. Third party, either necessary or not, deserves equal representation. This is what democracy is all about. Of course current system is advantageous to existing political order. Additional competition is always good.
Dude, this is not about me.

Do you want debate, or not?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

—George C. Edwards, 2011

Well, it's a pipe dream that the small states would ever agree to give up their power in the Electoral college. Outside of denying their citizens of water or oxygen, there is no stick big enough to cajole them into giving it up.

So the next best thing would be to get a constitutional amendment forcing the President Elect to BOTH win the majority of the Electoral College (currently at 270 votes) and the plurality of the popular vote.

What do you think about that?

Forum List

Back