Elections, the only poll that really matters.

Most abortions are "for NOT convenience". That's absolutely a right wing lie. Unless you define "convenience" as being able to keep your job, your home and take care of your existing children.

75% of ALL abortions, are poor women living below or just above the poverty line. 60% of all abortions are married women living in poverty. Like all of the other lies Republicans tell their voters about abortions, the idea that only "drunken party girls" are having abortions is a fallacy.

The problem with these abortion bans is that they also ban living saving care for pregnant women having miscarriages.

1/3 of all pregnancies end in miscarriage - more than a million of them every year. and a lot of those miscarriages are incomplete or complicated, and need medical assistance. Because of advances in medical science, doctors are now able to treat most complications of pregnancy, and save women's lives. These wrong headed anti-abortion laws are banning care for miscarriages, and ectopic pregnancies, and other pregnancy complications.

Since red states started passing more and more restrictions on abortions and reproductive health care, the death rate for the complications of pregnancy and childbirth for American women have been steadily rising. In 1987, that death rate was 7.2 deaths per 1000 live births, similar to many first world countries.

By 2021, it was more than 30 deaths per thousand, even though medical science has made many advances in maternal treatment since 1987, more and more American women are dying. The CDC estimates that 80% of these deaths, were preventable.

The CDC estimates that 80% of these deaths, were preventable.

Key Findings​

• Pregnancy-related deaths occurred during pregnancy, delivery, and up to a year postpartum.
  • The leading cause of pregnancy-related death varied by race and ethnicity.
  • Over 80% of pregnancy-related deaths were determined to be preventable.

No, it’s not a right wing lie:

The reasons most frequently cited were that having a child would interfere with a woman's education, work or ability to care for dependents (74%); that she could not afford a baby now (73%); and that she did not want to be a single mother or was having relationship problems (48%)

It all boils down to “it would interfere with my life”. Health of the mother is such a small percentage that it’s not even listed in the results. You lefty’s often cite that reason, but it’s such a small portion of the people who have abortions.

Nobody said anything about “drunken party girls”.

Here’s another:

The most commonly reported reasons for abortion in 2004 (selected from a researcher-generated list of possible reasons with write-in options for other reasons) were largely similar to those found in the 1987 study [11]. The top three reason categories cited in both studies were: 1) “Having a baby would dramatically change my life” (i.e., interfere with education, employment and ability to take care of existing children and other dependents) (74% in 2004 and 78% in 1987), 2) “I can’t afford a baby now” (e.g., unmarried, student, can’t afford childcare or basic needs) (73% in 2004 and 69% in 1987), and 3) “I don’t want to be a single mother or am having relationship problems”

Again, largest reason given? Having a baby would dramatically change their life.

I’m not saying that things like poverty don’t play a role, but this idea that most women having abortions because they are in dire straits is just wrong. Most abortions are done out of convenience, because having a baby would interfere with their lives.

My point in all of this is, the “health of the mother” that so many lefty’s cite is such a small percentage of the number of abortions performed.

Anyway, I don’t know why I allowed myself to get sidetracked with arguments about “reasons”. My original point was, women SHOULD be able to get the healthcare they need, but abortion is not a federal issue, and Dobbs rectified a long running misunderstanding of roe.

The problem with these abortion bans is that they also ban living saving care for pregnant women having miscarriages.

1/3 of all pregnancies end in miscarriage - more than a million of them every year. and a lot of those miscarriages are incomplete or complicated, and need medical assistance. Because of advances in medical science, doctors are now able to treat most complications of pregnancy, and save women's lives. These wrong headed anti-abortion laws are banning care for miscarriages, and ectopic pregnancies, and other pregnancy complications.

Every state has an exception for the life of the mother, most also have exceptions for the health of the mother.

If people in that state want more relaxed rules on abortions then they must press upon their elected leaders to make those changes, or vote them out if they don’t.

Also, right now, you are seeing the initial reaction to overturning of roe, and yes, some states are being over strict on it, but over time, I think you’ll see states relax those rules as people’s minds change and they see that there are problems with the current rules.

Since red states started passing more and more restrictions on abortions and reproductive health care, the death rate for the complications of pregnancy and childbirth for American women have been steadily rising. In 1987, that death rate was 7.2 deaths per 1000 live births, similar to many first world countries.

Increased efforts to identify pregnancy-related deaths have contributed to an increase in the reported pregnancy-related mortality ratio

Those are statistics are looking back at the 80s and 90s, and the conclusion your article cites is that the increase in the ratio is due to an increase in efforts to identify pregnancy related deaths has lead to an increase in the number of them being reported.

Now, I agree, if a doctor find something that he believes will be a possible risk to the health of the mother and could possibly put her in danger of death, they should absolutely be allowed to terminate the pregnancy.

It is a lie. The repubs returned it as a state decision and those states deemed their own laws.

Hell, even California the most liberal of liberal states, has restrictions on abortions. How do you blame that on repubs?
Lame assed excuses are a republican staple these days.

Lame assed excuses are a republican staple these days.

They are not excuses, they are how things were supposed to be. The excuses came when the dems took roe and turned it into something it was never meant to be.

They are not excuses, they are how things were supposed to be. The excuses came when the dems took roe and turned it into something it was never meant to be.
That's another lame assed excuse, as expected.

Forum List

Back