Elderly woman dies because nurse refused to give CPR

I suppose you can show us the law that says we have to follow 911 operators orders? How about some court cases?

uscitizen can't show us because there are no such laws or cases & he is full of shit.

Let's try a dab of comon decency. If you believe that woman lying there on the floor did not want any assistance and wished to die then there is nothing to discuss. If anyone thinks that she wanted to live longer then the nurse should be prosecuted for neglect and 2nd degree murder.

Stop, step away from the propaganda and think. The woman collapsed, say she didn't want life saving efforts and the facility knew that. Why was 911 called in the first place? Just put a sheet over her head observe until she stops breathing completely and call the coroner.

That isn't what happened. They called for aid. The aid expected was not to put a pillow over her face but save her life. If the nurse truly believed that she was obliging last wishes, why bother making the call and prosecute the idiot nuse for wasting the dispatcher's time.

I suppose you can show us the law that says we have to follow 911 operators orders? How about some court cases?

uscitizen can't show us because there are no such laws or cases & he is full of shit.

Let's try a dab of comon decency. If you believe that woman lying there on the floor did not want any assistance and wished to die then there is nothing to discuss. If anyone thinks that she wanted to live longer then the nurse should be prosecuted for neglect and 2nd degree murder.

if she really wanted to live she would have been wearing one of those help me i've fallen and i can't get up things :eusa_whistle:

And now the parent company is distancing themselves from this...
I think this lady for whatever the reason did as she was instructed.

if she really wanted to live she would have been wearing one of those help me i've fallen and i can't get up things :eusa_whistle:

She was unconscious a pendent wouldn't have helped.

And now the parent company is distancing themselves from this...
I think this lady for whatever the reason did as she was instructed.

Or thought she was doing what she was instructed to do.

Let this be a general lesson. Don't call 911. Once you call 911 you are rendering aid and cannot thereafter abandon efforts.

Stop, step away from the propaganda and think. The woman collapsed, say she didn't want life saving efforts and the facility knew that. Why was 911 called in the first place? Just put a sheet over her head observe until she stops breathing completely and call the coroner.

That isn't what happened. They called for aid. The aid expected was not to put a pillow over her face but save her life. If the nurse truly believed that she was obliging last wishes, why bother making the call and prosecute the idiot nuse for wasting the dispatcher's time.

Excellent point.

:cuckoo: No law says people have to follow 911 operators orders whether they are to stop following a suspect or to perform CPR.

The only thing I can think of right now and I may be wrong.
The facility is protecting themselves against a lawsuit.
But I believe no jury will find against someone trying to administer a life saving procedure.
I think it's called the good Samaritan law.

But I'm sure there are a few John Edwards or Gloria Alred types that would sue and force the facility and the employee to spend thousands of dollars in attorney fees.

Good Samaritan statutes wouldn't apply here, but it doesn't really matter as letting the person die is a larger liability risk.

There is a difference from trying to prevent a confrontation/assault/death by violence and telling someone to attempt to save someone who is dying.

There is not a difference!

You are not legally obligated to do as a 911 operator says.

Police are not even legally obligated to protect you. You can call 911 & they or the police could go take a nap while you are raped & you can't sue them.

There may not be a moral difference, but there is absolutely a legal difference (assuming the command has any authority, for the sake of argument).

There is a difference from trying to prevent a confrontation/assault/death by violence and telling someone to attempt to save someone who is dying.

Police are not even legally obligated to protect you. You can call 911 & they or the police could go take a nap while you are raped & you can't sue them.

There may not be a moral difference, but there is absolutely a legal difference (assuming the command has any authority, for the sake of argument).

911 operators have no legal command authority. Only if they transfer you to a police officer who identified themselves as such would anyone need to listen.

911 operators have no legal command authority. Only if they transfer you to a police officer who identified themselves as such would anyone need to listen.

I never said they did. I'm explaining why the two issues are different.

Let's figure this out starting with who this so called nurse is...Was she a nurse to begin with?

When the nurse called 911 she identified herself as a nurse. The California Nursing Board said they would begin porceedings to take her license. Then she wasn't a nurse any more but a facility supervisor.

When the nurse called 911 she identified herself as a nurse. The California Nursing Board said they would begin porceedings to take her license. Then she wasn't a nurse any more but a facility supervisor.

Do you have a link to that where she identified herself as a nurse?

I want full name I will look at her license if she has one

No prosecution to follow refusal to give CPR to dying woman...
:eusa_eh:
Police say no charges will be filed over home's refusal to give CPR to woman
March 07, 2013 – Police said Wednesday that no criminal charges will be filed after a care worker's attention-grabbing refusal to perform CPR on a resident of a Central California independent-living facility.
The Bakersfield Police Department said it has closed its investigation into the death of Lorainne Bayless, 87, who died Feb. 26 at Glendale Gardens while a nurse there refused a 911 dispatcher's pleas to administer CPR. The public release of the 7-minute recording caused national outrage, fueled further when the facility's owner claimed the nurse acted appropriately. On Tuesday, Tennessee-based Brookdale Senior Living Inc. reversed itself and said the unidentified employee had misinterpreted the company's guidelines and was on voluntary leave while the case is investigated.

Nonetheless, Bayless' family said it was her desire to forgo resuscitation efforts and that she died of natural causes, which her family said was her "greatest wish." The family said it has no intentions of suing the company or seeking punishment for its workers. "They wish no hardship on those who were witnesses," said Sonja Eddings Brown, a spokeswoman for the family. "It is natural for there to be an appropriate investigation, and if Lorraine's death helps other families to learn from it or prepare for the future, then not only was her life a great blessing, but in some small way her passing too."

Bayless collapsed in the Glenwood Gardens dining hall. Someone called 911 on a cellphone and asked for an ambulance. Later, a woman who identified herself as a nurse got on the line and told dispatcher Tracey Halvorson she was not permitted to do CPR on the woman. Halvorson implored the nurse to find someone else and said she would instruct them on how to perform CPR. "I understand if your facility is not willing to do that," Halvorson said. "Give the phone to a passer-by. This woman is not breathing enough. She is going to die if we don't get this started, do you understand?" By the time paramedics arrived, Bayless had stopped breathing. Bakersfield fire officials who responded said Bayless did not have a "do not resuscitate" order on file at the home.

Read more: Police say no charges will be filed over home's refusal to give CPR to woman | Fox News

She followed the rules.

That's called the Nuremberg defense. This "nurse" or supervisor is quite lucky that no one is complaining and the family is likely glad to be rid of their burden. Otherwise, following the rules is no defense to a crime.

Forum List

Back