Egyptian v German beach volleyball

Tilly

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2015
Erob: Where the Sun Sets West of Phoenecia
Germany beat the Egyptians 2-0, yay!
The Germans look fitter to me, and it was possibly stifling for the Egyptians under the black clothing, head gear, etc, but then I guess they must be used to that.
Anyway, Well done Germany.

The cover-ups versus the cover-nots: Egyptian and German beach volleyball players highlight the massive cultural divide between Western and Islamic women's teams
  • Images show game between Egyptian and German volleyball teams
  • The Egyptian pair took to the arena wearing long sleeves and leggings
  • Stark contrast to Germans who wore sport's traditional two-piece uniform
By JULIAN ROBINSON FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 08:53, 8 August 2016 | UPDATED: 17:46, 8 August 2016
It is a fast and furious sport played under the sun and famed for its revealing attire - with a practical uniform of bikinis for women and board shorts for men.

But these pictures show the contrasting cultures among some of the nations taking part in the Rio Olympics after the Egyptian women's beach volleyball team took to the sandy arena wearing long sleeves and leggings.

The outfit, used by Nada Meawad and Doaa Elghobashy, who also covered her head with a hijab, was in stark contrast to their German rivals Laura Ludwig and Kira Walkenhorst who stuck to the sport's traditional two-piece outfit for the clash last night.

Scroll down for video

36FBD12C00000578-0-image-a-1_1470641618986.jpg

+13
Pictures show the cultural differences among some of the nations taking part in the Rio Olympics after the Egyptian women's beach volleyball team took to the sandy arena wearing long sleeves and leggings

36FC213600000578-0-image-a-2_1470641631742.jpg

+13
The outfit, used by Nada Meawad and Doaa Elghobashy (centre), who also covered her head with a hijab, was in stark contrast to their German rivals Laura Ludwig (right) and Kira Walkenhorst (left) who stuck to the sport's traditional two-piece outfit for the clash last night

There are now 169 different countries involved in the Continental Cup qualifying process for the 2016 Olympic, compared to 143 for London after rules on clothing were relaxed

36FBCFE000000578-0-image-a-5_1470641646642.jpg

+13
Egypt's Doaa Elghobashy jumps with Kira Walkenhorst during a beach volleyball match at the Beach Volleyball Arena on the second day of the Rio Olympics Games in Brazil

+13
Egypt's Doaa Elghobashy serves during a match against Germany in the beach volleyball competition last night

In the end, medal hopefuls Ludwig and Walkenhorst continued their winning streak by posting a Pool D win over their Egyptian counterparts.

The Egyptians were playing in their first international event together outside of the African continent where they had won a major title in April.

Ludwig and Walkenhorst came out 2-0 winners after a match lasting nearly 40 minutes.

image.jpeg

Afterwards, Elghobashy told reporters: 'I have worn the hijab for 10 years. It doesn't keep me away from the things I love to do, and beach volleyball is one of them.

'I'm proud to be seen raising the Egyptian flag in a carnival with so many nations.' ..

The contrasting cultures brought together by the Olympics

'Carnival'? Lol.

Last edited:
Problem with the Egyptian garb is it shows the body in such a manner that it leaves little to the imagination.

Those outfits look sweltering.

And they don't look lithe, like all the other beach volley ball girls do. They probably aren't permitted to train for more than a certain amount.

I give the Egyptian ladies a lot of credit for finding a way to continue their dream of participation in the Olympics while at the same time not ignoring their cultural heritage. Win or lose, they were in Rio to represent themselves and their nation. Good for them.

Can't find out anything about their training, or lack of, as the media only seem interested in what they wear :rolleyes:
can't be racial. Italian girls are bigger down the bottom but their beach volleyball players and athletes hone it down.

I give the Egyptian ladies a lot of credit for finding a way to continue their dream of participation in the Olympics while at the same time not ignoring their cultural heritage. Win or lose, they were in Rio to represent themselves and their nation. Good for them.
Their men are scared of them being physically strong.

i can understand, they don't want their wives to have been violated by other men before marriage, but what kind of a weakling is intimidated by a woman with physic?

And then on top of that, they then get upset their women don't have the physic of baywatch girls and so go to Europe and rape 4 year old boys in the wading pool. wth?

Can't find out anything about their training, or lack of, as the media only seem interested in what they wear :rolleyes:
can't be racial. Italian girls are bigger down the bottom but their beach volleyball players and athletes hone it down.
This is true. Apart from when it's the steatopygia common to the females of the Khoisan people. But that is not what we are looking at here.

Last edited:
This is true. Apart from when it's the steatopygia common to the females of the Khoisan people. But that is not what we are looking at here.
I've seen some amazing curves on some arab girls but the girls in the team are just chubby.

I watched some of the Volley Ball games and their was a wrist injury early on but I'll be fine tho

Forum List

Back