~Dying At 50~

There's no guarantee that anyone will live to 80 or 90. It sounds corny but you gotta' live life to the fullest now.

My Uncle was an A-Hole, abused himself with alcohol and lived to age 80. My Aunt never smoked or drank, went to church and was the nicest person you ever met. She died from lung cancer at age 53.

You gotta' do what you want and live like you want, right now.

There is an adage among Medical Students: "If you are going to the hospital, kick a cat or do something wretched on the way."

The underlying notion being that, for some reason, the bastards always seem to live forever and the patients you love always seem to befall some horrible malady during the course of their hospitalization.

There's no guarantee that anyone will live to 80 or 90. It sounds corny but you gotta' live life to the fullest now.

My Uncle was an A-Hole, abused himself with alcohol and lived to age 80. My Aunt never smoked or drank, went to church and was the nicest person you ever met. She died from lung cancer at age 53.

You did not mention whether your Uncle the A-Hole was also a smoker. It's possible that your aunt contracted lung cancer from being exposed to second hand tobacco smoke from your uncle's (or some one else's ) smoking. My father was a cigarette smoker for many years, and my mother contracted breast cancer. There is some evidence (though not yet well established) of a link between exposure to second hand tobacco smoke and contracting breast cancer.
Yes he was a smoker but no, I don't believe in that second hand smoke "conspiracy theories" stuff.

By the way my wife's grandfather, who is Japanese, got a dose of radiation at Hiroshima, smoked for 50 years and lived to age 93! So yeah, I'm a bit of a skeptic.

I

You did not mention whether your Uncle the A-Hole was also a smoker. It's possible that your aunt contracted lung cancer from being exposed to second hand tobacco smoke from your uncle's (or some one else's ) smoking. My father was a cigarette smoker for many years, and my mother contracted breast cancer. There is some evidence (though not yet well established) of a link between exposure to second hand tobacco smoke and contracting breast cancer.

Are you serious?

Absolutely. Cigarette smoke is oncogenic to virtually every cell in the body. Guess what the number one cause of bladder cancer is? Smoking.

Riddle me that.

Are you serious?

Absolutely. Cigarette smoke is oncogenic to virtually every cell in the body. Guess what the number one cause of bladder cancer is? Smoking.

Riddle me that.

It is the beer. People who smoke, drink beer. Beer causes the bladder cancer.

Are you serious?

Riddle me that.

That is a logical assumption, but incorrect.

Alcohol Consumption and Bladder Cancer Risk: Results from the Netherlands Cohort Study

The impact of characteristics of cigarette smoking... [Cancer. 2000] - PubMed result

I don't worry about stuff like that and you shouldn't either. Right now I feel fine. In fact, I've never felt better in my...

ummm.....
uhhhhhhh...
ackkkk!!!!
Arghhhhhh!!!!!!
DO'H!!!!!!

flatline.jpg

I'll be 65 in a few months and had open heart surgery 5 months ago. I have allways taken very good care of myself and ate well exercised etc. and married a woman 25 years my junior! She made it all worthwhile. But genetics came and bit me in the ass. They do say my good lifestyle saved me from the heart attack, evidently i had built up secondary arteries and veins so that when my regular arteries finally clogged I had enough backup to stay alive.

Now they say i am good for another 30 years!

50 years, half a century.

A 50 year old can be expected to live to almost 81 according to current CDC numbers but depending on your race and sex that can vary by a few years. A newborns life expectancy is just 77 years.

There is no need to fear death unless you are religious inclined and the hereafter contains a hell and you are a sinner. If you fit that category you better hope for immortality.

I don't worry about stuff like that and you shouldn't either. Right now I feel fine. In fact, I've never felt better in my...

ummm.....
uhhhhhhh...
ackkkk!!!!
Arghhhhhh!!!!!!
DO'H!!!!!!

flatline.jpg

Do you need mouth to mouth resuscitation??

A 50 year old can be expected to live to almost 81 according to current CDC numbers but depending on your race and sex that can vary by a few years. A newborns life expectancy is just 77 years.

There is no need to fear death unless you are religious inclined and the hereafter contains a hell and you are a sinner. If you fit that category you better hope for immortality.

I don't fear death at all, in fact, as crazy as this sounds, I embrace it~
It can come for me at any time, I am ready!

Death is something that I do not fear, yet I am not ready for it. I desire to live and enjoy life longer than my 56 years of existence. So much still to do, people to meet, knowledge to learn, women to love ...

Death is something that I do not fear, yet I am not ready for it. I desire to live and enjoy life longer than my 56 years of existence. So much still to do, people to meet, knowledge to learn, women to love ...

That is nice zzzz (your user name is SO easy to type out) ~LoL~
I used to feel the way you do now, well...I used to be afraid to die, then I watched all of my children grow up and have children of their own, and those feelings faded.
Then I lost my best friend, my Mother, and my world completely changed, things have never been the same since.
And I can't find the old Debbie I once was, I have searched, trust me, for over 5 years now, and shes not here anymore.......:(
So....I have everything planned out and prepared, for when my time comes.
And like I said, it couldn't come none too soon for me.

I used to feel the way you do now, well...I used to be afraid to die, then I watched all of my children grow up and have children of their own, and those feelings faded.
Then I lost my best friend, my Mother, and my world completely changed, things have never been the same since.
And I can't find the old Debbie I once was, I have searched, trust me, for over 5 years now, and shes not here anymore.......:(

I am sorry you have lost the desire to live. Life is a wonderful thing and I see it everyday where I live, in nature, the butterflies, the grass swaying in the wind, the sound of the breeze rustling the leaves and the songs of the birds. Having someone special to share that life is something that I am searching for and have yet to find. I have lost my mother and brother in the last few years and will lose my father soon but they would want me to live and enjoy life. Yes it is hard at times to go on, the work, the bills, sometimes no one to hold and cry with and to laugh with but I have hope that one day I will find that person who will be my friend and partner in life.

Last edited:

I am sorry you have lost the desire to live. Life is a wonderful thing and I see it everyday where I live, in nature, the butterflies, the grass swaying in the wind, the sound of the breeze rustling the leaves and the songs of the birds. Having someone special to share that life is something that I am searching for and have yet to find. I have lost my mother and brother in the last few years and will lose my father soon but they would want me to live and enjoy life. Yes it is hard at times to go on, the work, the bills, sometimes no one to hold and cry with and to laugh with but I have hope that one day I will find that person who will be my friend and partner in life.

An awesome post zzzz....not only did I Rep you (I said rep, not rape) ~LoL~...but I had to add these extra words~
Your words made me smile, thanks~ And I agree, there are many beautiful things in life!

Are you serious?

Riddle me that.

It's carrots. Most people who died from bladder cancer have eaten carrots. Americans inhale smoke from burning leaves, camp fires and fireplaces. Those nice plug in motion activated smell dispensers emit the chemical smell of your choice all the time in your house and everyone has to take in the stuff including babies and children. We have come to a point in human evolution where everything smells like fabric softener. Maybe I'm more sensitive to it but once you take in the sent it seems that everywhere you go you are forced to take in the sickly chemical odor that smells the same on clothes and cars and in Walmart.

Well, I will be 68 this year, and am extremely lucky. A bit of asthma, and acid reflux, but can still hike up to 14,000 feet with a week of aclimatization. However, one of the factors in growing older is that you see friends that you have planned activities with no longer physically able to do those activities. And friends that are simply no longer here.

Most of my family have been very long lived, mid-80s to mid-90s. One great-grandmother lived to 103, and died while gardening. So, I have a better than normal chance of doing another 20 to 30 years, a fair chance of making the century mark. Always thought that a good way to go would be to be shot by a jeolous husband at 105.

Yes, life is to be lived. And I have noted that those who seem to be losing interest in living it are often narrowing their lives. Expand your life, do things that you had not considered for yourself. A trip that involves something that you have never done before. Volunteer for a something that you would never imagine doing. Such as habitat for humanity. Helping clean a local park. Aiding a school in an activity. Anything that gets you outside of yourself.

A palm reader told me I would live 87.325961 years.

I have not marked my calander yet, because I didn't know if the starting date was my birth, my conception, or when she read my palm.

It is okay to not fear death dabs, just don't be afraid to live in the mean time.

Forum List

Back