Drivers License Checkpoint!!!!

Nonelitist

Rookie
Jan 22, 2010
So... Jill and others.... Law Enforcement can't stop you just to look at your drivers license?

HAHAHa

The Kansas City Police Department’s Traffic Investigation Unit will have a driver license checkpoint next week.

Police said the checkpoint will be held May 6. They didn’t release a time or location for the checkpoint, except to say it will be held at where there are occurrences of people driving while their licenses have been revoked or suspended and where there are drunken driving-related crashes or arrests.

Read more: KC police to hold driver license checkpoint - KansasCity.com

Heres what you are forgetting.

"Point of contact"

When you are walking down the street and an officer pulls over and requests to speak to you what happens if you refuse to talk to him or her?

An officer is allowed to ask you a question right?

Hey have you seen any person running past here wearing a grey hoody?

Can you tell me if you have seen a Blue sedan with a crumbled bumper in the area?

He has just had a point of contact with you.

"Point of contact"

When you are walking down the street and an officer pulls over and requests to speak to you what happens if you refuse to talk to him or her?

Can you tell me if you have seen a Blue sedan with a crumbled bumper in the area?

theres dem cops acting all stupidly and stuff somebody call barack.. quick.. we needs him..

• Banned
As long as they stop everyone.

You do not realize this or are you just being oblique?

Not necessarily. Just like a DUI checkpoint, they might just stop every fourth car... every fifth car... whatever it may be.

That is my guess as to how they do it.... cause I doubt they are stopping every car. I could be wrong.

• Banned

"Point of contact"

You can't refuse to talk to an officer if he contacts you for valid reasons... (SAME THING IN ARIZONA LAW). You really should get your facts before making yourself look like a petulant little child.

Refusing to Give Name a Crime (washingtonpost.com)

Refusing to Give Name a Crime
Supreme Court Upholds Nevada Law Requiring Identification
By Charles Lane
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, June 22, 2004; Page A06

The Supreme Court yesterday upheld a state law that makes it a crime to refuse to tell the police one's name when stopped for suspicious behavior, a ruling that strengthens the ability of law enforcement officers to detain citizens even where they lack enough evidence for a full arrest.

"Point of contact"

You can't refuse to talk to an officer if he contacts you for valid reasons... (SAME THING IN ARIZONA LAW). You really should get your facts before making yourself look like a petulant little child.Dear idiot thank you for helping prove my point, hat was exactly what I was saying you fool, you HAVE to talk to him or her if they approach you, that constitutes a "point of cantact" and he can now ask for your papers that allow you to be brown in Arizona.

By Charles Lane

The Supreme Court yesterday upheld a state law that makes it a crime to refuse to tell the police one's name when stopped for suspicious behavior, a ruling that strengthens the ability of law enforcement officers to detain citizens even where they lack enough evidence for a full arrest.

No shit Sherlock

Not necessarily. Just like a DUI checkpoint, they might just stop every fourth car... every fifth car... whatever it may be.

That is my guess as to how they do it.... cause I doubt they are stopping every car. I could be wrong.

As long as they are not stopping every car with a Hispanic driver they are within the law

"Point of contact"

You can't refuse to talk to an officer if he contacts you for valid reasons... (SAME THING IN ARIZONA LAW). You really should get your facts before making yourself look like a petulant little child.Dear idiot thank you for helping prove my point, hat was exactly what I was saying you fool, you HAVE to talk to him or her if they approach you, that constitutes a "point of cantact" and he can now ask for your papers that allow you to be brown in Arizona.

By Charles Lane

No shit Sherlock

Arizona Law requires that they can only ask for ID if they have stopped you for another reason.

Nothing else needs to be said.

Did you read VALID REASONS?

If however the police stop you for say a drivers liscence checkpoint and they observe suspicious behaviour such as open beer cans in car or your eyes sort of unfocused and rolling around.
Or they smell pot.

Well they can nail you for DUI.

As long as they are not stopping every car with a Hispanic driver they are within the law

I assume that would be correct. Although the threshhold is probably considerably lower than "every car with a hispanic driver".

Last edited:
So... Jill and others.... Law Enforcement can't stop you just to look at your drivers license?

HAHAHa

DL "checkpoints" are permissable under Delaware v. Prouse. "Random" stops, as articulated in Prouse, are UNconstitutional.

My state has permitted them for about 6 years now.

HAHAHa

DL "checkpoints" are permissable under Delaware v. Prouse. "Random" stops, as articulated in Prouse, are UNconstitutional.

My state has permitted them for about 6 years now.

Do you know if that means that every car in a checkpoint must be checked and not random ones... or does that mean that random traffice stops are illegal?

I would guess the latter.

You can't refuse to talk to an officer if he contacts you for valid reasons... (SAME THING IN ARIZONA LAW). You really should get your facts before making yourself look like a petulant little child.

Believe it or not I was at the SC building the day Hiibel waas argued in 2004. I did not hwoever, sit in on the oral argument, although I did once in 1975.

IF the person is "under investigation", and refuses to ID themselves, then the SC has ruled states can criminalize that.

Believe it or not I was at the SC building the day Hiibel waas argued in 2004. I did not hwoever, sit in on the oral argument, although I did once in 1975.

IF the person is "under investigation", and refuses to ID themselves, then the SC has ruled states can criminalize that.

what is your opinion... would the Arizona law stand with the US Supreme Court?

Forum List

Back